WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Beara

I carry spray in the gsmnp. Most will say no, but it helps my piece of mind. I hike alone mostly so it's worth it for mine and my family's sanity.

However... I've found that (like stated before) getting hurt while out on the trail is more of a concern to me. This is coming from someone who has done many loops without seeing bears but has had real scares with slipping or falling and being injured alone without seeing anyone all day long and having to get myself off the trail/

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    . . . Humans do a terrible job in risk assessment and evaluation - people get worked up over bears, when the real risks on the trail are getting there and back (esp. in NJ) and tick-borne illness.
    Agree with you completely on this point too!

Not sure I agree with you that law enforcement personnel would be inclined to arrest or cite you for it. Law enforcement are people too and their job is literally to keep us safe. I suppose if someone was concerned, and wanted to carry bear spray, they could call and ask the shift commander for the jurisdiction they'd be under. The answer you got wouldn't answer the legal question but certainly would answer whether or not you'd be hassled. My guess is that if you framed your question properly you would not be bothered if you exhibited that you were being responsible and only possessed the bear spray for the purpose for which its intended, protection against bears.

Again agree with you best to learn all of the ways you can decrease your chances of a bad encounter with a bear - which you list above. Personally I don't own bear spray (yet) and if I'm not hiking alone and I'm camping where I can do a PCT hang or store my food in a bear box I'd feel pretty safe without bear spray in NJ. Interesting discussion all - thanks.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    The question also comes in how many officers have bear spray on their radar in the first place? For me, if I were hiking there, I'd have it. As I said, NJ is home to an attack that I can recall and won't likely disassociate from my memory. The Smokies are another. So I'd either carry or hike it in the Winter.
    Don't let your guard down in the winter. Black bears don't really turn in for the winter. They'll be up and about during the warmer snaps. I was up on the AT about a week after a snowfall when it was about 45 degrees, but snow was on the ground. Lots of bear prints in the snow and lots of fresh clawing on dead trees where the bear was looking for insects.

As far as bear spray being on the radar, I suspect it may be more than one would think. The AT goes through state parks and state forests in NJ. The trail is heavily used and the park police tend to enforce rules to keep things under control.

Quote Originally Posted by hlee453 View Post
    Bear spray or no?
    BearVault or no?

Opinions, go!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    No.
    No.
    I have none.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I bought bear spray when prepping for a section through GSMNP. But after staring at it on my gear shelf for a while, I did not carry it with me. Ultimately, I figured I'd most likely just end up spraying myself if I ever tried to use it.

As for bear canisters, the ATC is now recommending bear canister use along the entire AT.

That said, I just came back from a short section ending at Fontana Dam and did not see anyone carrying a bear can. Ursacks look to be popular and more people than I have seen in the past appear to be making an effort to hang their bags (though good hangs are still exceedingly rare).
    "Healthy, Free, The World Before Me, The Long Brown Path Before Me Leading Wherever I Choose." - Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

I get many comments from other hikers that I don't need bear spray. I Feel better with it, peace of mind. I also have a tiny, yet very loud air horn. Not just for bears either. I use a ursak. HYOH. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
    Just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I don't know what you heard of bear attacks in NJ, but its not exactly an epidemic. There was one kid killed in 2014. There was not a lot of information released other than it was a group of inexperienced (ignorant, unaware, unknowing of how a human should behave around bears) hikes that may have been approaching the bear to grab photos and when the bear reacted, they split up and ran. The second attack was on a scout leader who lowered himself into a ravine onto a hibernating bear[U] (HUMAN Ignorance). In both instances, a little black bear knowledge would have gone a long way - specifically what a bear huffing means, importance of remaining in a group, not mimicking prey behavior by running from a bear, and knowing where bears are likely to have dens, including ground dens.

I don't think that the bear spray law is a good one, but I also don't think people should be running around bear territory with a false sense of security due to 8 or 10 oz. of pepper spray as a substitute for knowing bear safety. That said, as long as you have the basics of bear safety down, a little liquid courage from Scotland or KY never hurt!
    This^^^

Humans place too much trust in their gadgets and tech over knowledge and wisdom(understanding). It leads to a false sense of security...ala 911 in miniature.

Images

I am much more afraid of hikers carrying bear spray than I am of Bears. I can imagine night hiking by some fool camped near the trail and being mistaken for a bear and shot in the face with bear spray. How did people who claim to love the wilderness develop such a fear of an animal that rarely causes any harm? I am thinking of starting a therepy practice to help people overcome their irrational fear of bears.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

I don't have a fear of bears, respect maybe but not fear. I have also educated myself on bears in general and their behavior. That is one reason I don't have music blasting in my ears while hiking. I like to hear the sounds of nature. Black bears will normally run from you unless you are between a female and her cubs or you got to close and it feels boxed in, in which case backing away may be all that is needed to neutralize the situation. At least they are not like polar bears that will attack without provocation. Oh an Malto you don't need to worry about me spraying you by accident as you will probably smell worse than a bear. JK
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I don't have a fear of bears, respect maybe but not fear. I have also educated myself on bears in general and their behavior. That is one reason I don't have music blasting in my ears while hiking. I like to hear the sounds of nature. Black bears will normally run from you unless you are between a female and her cubs or you got to close and it feels boxed in, in which case backing away may be all that is needed to neutralize the situation. At least they are not like polar bears that will attack without provocation. Oh an Malto you don't need to worry about me spraying you by accident as you will probably smell worse than a bear. JK
    Hey, have we met. I resemble that comment!
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am much more afraid of hikers carrying bear spray than I am of Bears. I can imagine night hiking by some fool camped near the trail and being mistaken for a bear and shot in the face with bear spray. How did people who claim to love the wilderness develop such a fear of an animal that rarely causes any harm? I am thinking of starting a therepy practice to help people overcome their irrational fear of bears.
    When hiking by a tent at night, simply yell out " Not a bear", as a courtesy.

There was nothing the native americans were more scared of than the grizzly. With good reason. Yeah, black bears arent grizzlys, but on rare occassions they still pretend to be. Grizzly also used to inhabit a much larger range in lower 48.

In the past, I think there were more, larger, old bears in the eastern forests. The early settlers had fear of them and tales about them. Perhaps its just todays black bears that are accustomed to people and are wusses.

I tend to say no to both of them. I try to avoid making my food available for animals and hang it as best I can to protect from rodents, raccoons and bears.

We saw 21 bears between Springer and Harper's Ferry last year,a few close enough to make me nervous. We did what we were supposed to do,and no problem. I would not carry the canister,but if I repeat that section,I think the weight of a spray can would be ok.

Journal Entries
    Images

Im not the person to ask about any bear etiquette so my answer is NO and NO.
    I have A certain theory on people over reacting and stressing out on the what if bear situations they might encounter.
    Te critters now there another story all together lol.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post

Hey, have we met. I resemble that comment! Malto

I also have a very high respect for snakes. The snake I want to see is a Cobra parked in my driveway.
    Blackheart

****......most people couldn't hit any part of an approaching bear much less you hiking but at Mach 1.....they better lead ya....

Journal Entries

Hiking alone, I am favor of carry for the olé piece of mind. Thru hiker season, don't think it would be necessary...

Well being afraid of hikers with bear spray is silly, with all due respect. The reason people who claim to love the wilderness fear bears is because people who loved the wilderness have been killed by them. Yes people should respect bears but a certain amount of fear is good thing too. Mitigate the risk through knowledge and if you feel better hedging your bets with bear spray or a gun, do so. Some are fine stopping at knowledge, others aren't. I'm sure those who have saved their life with spray were glad they didn't stop at knowledge.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 04-09-2017 at 22:53.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++