WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default BMT/AT Figure 8 trip planning

Well I think come late august I will start my BMT/AT figure 8 loop thru hike.
    Anyone have any good info on resupply points along the BMT ?
    I have started research already and looks pretty easy,as does the AT sobo back to springer.
    Would ideally like to do only one mail drop to standing bear containing new shoes .
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Do it in the fall. Since the BMT is lower overall elev it gets sweltering humid in summer. That's when I did this hike regretting my choice of seasons. Sometime in fall is when I assume most of the trail maintenance has been done. Spring before the greatest flush of vegetation or even winter works as well. Summer at the lower elev is also when the rattle snakes are out which when combined with overgrown tread makes for needed greater awareness. The Sheltowee Trace, BMT, and PA AT are east coast summer hiked trails where I've seen the most rattlesnakes.

I used the BMT site resupply beta and the AT resupply beta is everywhere. I did a couple mail drops but that's because I'm so food picky and was already mailing supplements.

Journal Entries
    Images

I used the BMT site resupply beta and the AT resupply beta is everywhere. I did a couple mail drops but that's because I'm so food picky and was already mailing supplements.
    Thanks dogwood.
    I have found several resources for resupply already and have just begun planning.
    I might end up with A few drops along this hike just because I already have A variety here and as well to ass supplements and etc.
    Will think on my options as the time gets closer.
    Late august early September will likely be my start point.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

We did the BMT/AT Figure 8 in 2010 in June. It was (too) hot and the BMT was very overgrown in places.

In regards to your questions, here's a few cut/pastes from our journal (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10946):

For those interested in our resupply strategy, here's the game plan:
    1. AT Mile 30.7 Drop at Neels Gap
    2. BMT Mile 48.5 Purchase at Cherry Log grocery. (See 6/1 entry for more info.)
    3. BMT Mile 109.7 Drop at Webb Brothers Store & Float Service in Reliance TN
    4. BMT Mile 197 Bear Vault Stash in GSMNP
    5. AT Mile 238.3 Purchase at Standing Bear Hostel
    6. AT Mile 134.9 Drop at the NOC

Navigational Aids Used:
    -------------------------
    1. Sgt Rock's Guidebook (http://bmtguide.com/)
    2. National Geographic #781 Cherokee National Forest Map
    3. Great Smoky Mountains $1 Trail Map
    4. Compass

++ New Posts ++