WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Transportation from Bangor to Monson

I'll be going to Bangor (by bus) and my destination is Monson. I don't believe there's public transportation to Monson. Is there a shuttle service someone knows about? I figured picking up the trail where I stopped, Garfield shelter, NH wouldn't be a good starting point so I decided to hike 100 mile wilderness to K then south from Monson to NH. Being a SOBO will be a mental challenge.
    No offense.

I'd try Phil Pepin at http://100milewilderness.info/services/ (scroll down on the page for his 100-Mile-Wilderness special). I've been researching Caratunk to Katahdin logistics for a hike this summer. I haven't dealt with him personally, but I'll be contacting him soon.

Journal Entries

Another option is the AT Lodge in Millinocket. At the moment, their website appears to be down, but check back later.

appalachiantraillodge.com/

There's a bus from Bangor to Medway, a town not far from Monson. Buse is once a day and gets in at 7:40PM.
    The AT Lodge will pick you up, put you up, and take you to the trailhead in Baxter the next morning. < Best deal out there.
    See the The Sobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2017, and join the Sobo 17 facebook group.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I've been researching Caratunk to Katahdin logistics for a hike this summer.
    I was the ALDHA Companion field editor for that section for many years. I now contribute to Awol's guide.
    In my experience, you're best off dealing with Shaw's in Monson and the AT Lodge in Millinocket.
    They work as a team, are family, and are past thru-hikers. Shaw's and the AT Lodge - tradition!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I was going to suggest Shaw's. Poet and Hippie Chick are pretty cool.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I was going to suggest Shaw's. Poet and Hippie Chick are pretty cool.
    I "third" Shaw's... might be my favorite Hostel on the entire AT, with the AT lodge right up there. Perfect duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillfactor View Post
    I'll be going to Bangor (by bus) and my destination is Monson. I don't believe there's public transportation to Monson. Is there a shuttle service someone knows about? I figured picking up the trail where I stopped, Garfield shelter, NH wouldn't be a good starting point so I decided to hike 100 mile wilderness to K then south from Monson to NH. Being a SOBO will be a mental challenge.
    No offense.
    Why don't you hike sobo through the 100 MW. It's easy to get from Bangor to Millinocket. Not so easy Bangor to Monson. Bus to Medway and the AT lodge can pick you up.

Personally I prefer to go SOBO through the HMW. "Easier" trail for the first 55 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd try Phil Pepin at http://100milewilderness.info/services/ (scroll down on the page for his 100-Mile-Wilderness special). I've been researching Caratunk to Katahdin logistics for a hike this summer. I haven't dealt with him personally, but I'll be contacting him soon.
    Are you are section hiking Caratunk to Mt K?
    Try driving to Monson and stay at Shaws. They can drop you in Caratunk in am. Then hike back to Monson and resupply for 100 MW. Arrange with Shaws to shuttle you back to car after you finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd try Phil Pepin at http://100milewilderness.info/services/ I've been researching Caratunk to Katahdin logistics for a hike this summer.
    Ahem.....I think you know of an available shuttle for this
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

You are too kind, Teacher. Will email you at some point. This week grandma's spring camp is open for business, so I don't have a lot of free time.

Images

Shaw's sounds link a good ride to Monson. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++