WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Permethrin

Yes it works.

I treated my clothes and backpack prior to my last overnight hike in FL. My hiking partner did not treat his clothes. At camp, leaning against the same tree for dinner, he found 7 ticks either on him or his gear. I found none on or near me. He took one of the ticks he found crawling on his equipment and put it on my pant leg (which I had tucked into my sock after he found the first tick). It walked around for a while, but stopped its progress after five minutes. At the fifteen minute point, it turned over onto it's back, taking the "dead bug" stance.

I treat my backpack because once on a conditioning/ training hike in the Ocala Nat'l Forest I put my pack down next to the trail for a break - and when I looked back at it, it had several ticks crawling on it.

I use the concentrated stuff from Tractor Supply. It does take a couple days for the smell to go away, and the smell does come back slightly when I start to sweat... but as someone else said, I'd rather deal with a slightly unpleasant smell than deal with the agony of Lyme Disease.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    I have just used them as well, and while I came to the same conclusion regarding your cost/benefit analysis ( btw they claim it lasts 70 washings) there are a couple idiosyncrasies of their service that deserve mentioning.

First, and most notable, is that every item I sent them came back with an orange paper slip that was safety-pinned to the garment. Much like what is done with laundered dress shirts, where the slip is fed through a button hole and stapled. However these slips were pinned through the fabric of the garments. Without getting into detail of my experience, suffice it to say that I would recommend that one consider only sending items that have less-than-fine weaves. Socks of course are fine, and pants often have an interior waistband where any lasting effects of safety-pinning such slips is out of view.

Second, each item came back with an Insect Shield tag sewn in, which describes the treatment (incl. EPA reg. # and the % permethrin), and amends the laundering instructions (wash separately from other clothes). For socks, the tag information was printed on the toe area, topside.
    Be careful to note with InsectShield that you do not want a staple or safety pin hole impaled through various gear you have treated. I've heard of tents, outer layers, a few sleeping bag/quilt shells, etc where this was done creating a small hole.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I use the concentrated stuff from Tractor Supply. It does take a couple days for the smell to go away, and the smell does come back slightly when I start to sweat... but as someone else said, I'd rather deal with a slightly unpleasant smell than deal with the agony of Lyme Disease.
    The Tractor Supply stuff is for barn and livestock use and is petroleum based. Avoid it. Get a water-based version intended for in-home use. No odor. Martins 10 is the brand and version I use from bugspray.com.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    The Tractor Supply stuff is for barn and livestock use and is petroleum based. Avoid it. Get a water-based version intended for in-home use. No odor. Martins 10 is the brand and version I use from bugspray.com.
    Martins 10 is the stuff I got from Tractor Supply. It is not petroleum based.

I purchased a gallon of this permethrin product last year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to work well.

Images

For less than this $35 purchase price, you could buy 32 oz of Martin's 10 also on Amazon for $20 and some change and dilute it 20-to-1 and save a ton of money and get many more treatments, if you like DIY that is.

Quote Originally Posted by MacBrave View Post
    I purchased a gallon of this permethrin product last year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to work well.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

I use permethrin regularly.

String up a clothes line in the back yard. Using a spray bottle doused the clothing. Sun dry or throw in the dryer. Works great. I love the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Search function, please
    We've covered this many times.
    Folks post their fears.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've just used up the last of my petroleum based permethrin. It is very aromatic for a few days, but it lasts all year. Mixed with water, it turns milky white, like Sawyers. The Martins I just started using stays clear and has no odor when mixed with water. I'll be curious how long it lasts in comparison to the smelly stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cbxx View Post
    Can anyone tell me when the Tick danger ends, or is greatly reduced? After a couple freezes? Certain month? Any info here?
    I've seen a report that ticks remain active in forest litter even in mid winter. But the risk is much reduced below freezing -- they won't survive climbing up blades of grass to fall on you. Just don't roll in leaf litter.

Another vote for the Martin's permethrin from Amazon, except I bought it in the 36.8% concentration, one quart for $27 -- basically a lifetime supply. Link here. To get to a 1.5% military grade concentration, it just takes one tablespoon to a 12 ounce spray bottle with the remainder filled up with water. FAR cheaper than Sawyer and quite a bit stronger. Plus, no odor after it dries. You DO, of course, need to be very careful when spraying. I put on full coveralls, plus a bandana on my face, plus a dust mask to breathe through, all done outsider. Military studies found it to be harmless after it's dried.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    I use permethrin regularly.

String up a clothes line in the back yard. Using a spray bottle doused the clothing. Sun dry or throw in the dryer. Works great. I love the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sprayed my clothes, pack and tent mesh today with Sawyers. They're drying overnight and tomorrow out in my garage. I've never had a problem with bugs or side effects.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

SO I enjoy hiking in shorts when the weather permits. Is it advisable to hike in pants, or if I use a tick repellant spray on my legs would this reduce the risk? Ill be starting my section hike from Newfound to Hot springs in 10 days. Not sure of the tick problem in this area. I do plan on getting either the Martins or Sawyer to treat my shirt, shorts or pants and socks.

Images

Well, it is safest to hike in pants (tucked into your socks), yes, but most hike in shorts, as do I. I use Picaridin rather than DEET on my legs, etc. And while treating your gear and clothes with Permethrin, don't forget your gaiters. I even treat my underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    SO I enjoy hiking in shorts when the weather permits. Is it advisable to hike in pants, or if I use a tick repellant spray on my legs would this reduce the risk? Ill be starting my section hike from Newfound to Hot springs in 10 days. Not sure of the tick problem in this area. I do plan on getting either the Martins or Sawyer to treat my shirt, shorts or pants and socks.

Journal Entries

Well, it is safest to hike in pants (tucked into your socks), yes, but most hike in shorts, as do I. I use Picaridin rather than DEET on my legs, etc. And while treating your gear and clothes with Permethrin, don't forget your gaiters. I even treat my underwear.
    Rain Man you is one tough hombre. Even Insect Shield won't due underwear. The idea of the boys sweating into a permethrin soaked covering would turn me into a eunuch.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

due =do...........
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Rain Man you is one tough hombre. Even Insect Shield won't do underwear. The idea of the boys sweating into a permethrin soaked covering would turn me into a eunuch.
    Wife had that done a few years back! Besides, it's ticks crawling all over "the boys" or perfectly safe clothing. I picked the latter.

I had a great experience using Sawyer insect shield on my AT thru last year. I didn't see any ticks on my clothing or on me once during my trek. It also seems to repel mosquitos. I treated a cotton bucket hat and noticed mosquitos wouldn't get within 3 inches of my face while it was on. I was a little paranoid about ticks on my journey and rightfully so (met 5 or 6 hikers with lyme disease). I took lyme disease medicine when I got back from my hike even though I had no symptoms, just to be on the safe side. I tucked my pants into my socks and treated all my clothing. I also re-treated all my clothing once when I knew I was going through a particularly bad area. Another option if you are worried about being hot wearing pants is to buy insect mesh pants. They look dorky, but who cares as long as they keep you from getting lyme disease or that new scary tick born disease. I used the mesh pants as well, the only downsides are that they get smelly really fast and are easy to snag and tear on brush.

Every time I come across this topic I get this urge to ask what did the natives do? How did they protect against ticks; blackflies, mosquitos and such? There has to be a natural way to deter those little buggers right! Not saying I'm a native or stating that I know what the natives did but... I've found rather than opting for a chemical based solution opting for a natural solution will do the trick as well. The stuff I use does not keep all the bugs off you but minimizes the chances by far and is a healthier solution.

I wash my gear and clothing in a lemongrass/eucalyptus based detergent and I wash daily with lemongrass soap. I tend to carry a very small vial of lemongrass oil and use a homemade lemongrass/eucalyptus bug spray when hiking. I also tend to not roll around in the underbrush, leaves, tall grass etc. My gear gets hung not laid on the ground and hammocks/tents shook thoroughly before packing.

Have had great success the last 26 years with the above approach and I've yet to wear clothing treated with permethrin and I've yet to treat my gear with that garbage! I've spent an immense amount of time on the AT, in the Adirondacks and Catskills, logging thousands of miles and have had only two ticks on me. Both were found on me in December and both times I did not take the precautions I normally do because I was much younger and hastier. Blackflies, mosquitos and ticks do not bother me but those dang deer flies will get you no matter what!!!

My uncle, whom has spent equal amounts of time in the same locals as I, likes to treat his stuff or has it professionally treated now. He has had good success using the chemical option too as many on here have stated but beware... He and I ran into a couple at Abol Bridge a few years ago whom through discussion divulged they treated their clothing with permethrin before they set out from home. We again crossed paths with them in Monson finding out they got yanked out because they both got a severe skin rash/burns wherever the treated clothing laid on their skin and had to get medical attention.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    Every time I come across this topic I get this urge to ask what did the natives do? How did they protect against ticks; blackflies, mosquitos and such? There has to be a natural way to deter those little buggers right! ... beware... He and I ran into a couple at Abol Bridge a few years ago whom through discussion divulged they treated their clothing with permethrin before they set out from home. We again crossed paths with them in Monson finding out they got yanked out because they both got a severe skin rash/burns wherever the treated clothing laid on their skin and had to get medical attention.
    I've seen a child's bug protection at the Native Museum of Mashteuiatsh on Lac St. Jean, QC, north of Montreal. It was a like a cotton balaclava, with only the child's eyes exposed. I don't know what they used before the Europeans brought cotton cloth. The mosquitoes were pretty numerous in August. I've read that natives in the USA spread bear fat over their skin for insect protection.

For the couple with the rash, if only one of them had the rash/burns it could have been an allergic reaction to the permethrin. With both of them, it was probably improperly diluted permethrin concentrate or they were using a permethrin concentrate that had solvents that should not be used on humans.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++