WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Permethrin

I doubt this approach would do much. Ticks are very good at latching on and hiding for hours until the crawl out and find a place to latch onto. They don't immediately latch on. The concept with permethrin is they wont even attempt to land on your treated clothes which means its far less likely that you have a hitchhiker that appears several hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I just bought a pair of the Rynoskin pants, which are a very light, tightly woven nylon/lycra blend, base layer designed to keep insects from biting you without chemicals.
    Sunday morning, I did 2 hours at a local preserve wearing shorts with those Rynoskin tights underneath to protect my legs - but mostly to see if they are hot to wear in the summer.
    They are not hot to wear in the summer. Since they are thin and ultra light, the sweat evaporates just as quickly (if not more so) as it would from bare legs.

They claim 99.x percent effective against biting insects including ticks, fleas, and biting flies. On my 2 hour walk, I was bitten on the calf by 4 horseflies. Through the Rynoskin pants.

I'm still going to wear them in a couple weeks when I go up for my next section, but they will have been treated with permethrin. I sweat too much for applications of insect repellent to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Can I suggest to Decon that this is a bad idea. Just because it lasts or has a residual Its a prescription for a reason. Get it wrong and this may itch like hell. Just treat your clothes use Deep Woods Off or Ultrathon.
    I got that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I doubt this approach would do much. Ticks are very good at latching on and hiding for hours until the crawl out and find a place to latch onto. They don't immediately latch on. The concept with permethrin is they wont even attempt to land on your treated clothes which means its far less likely that you have a hitchhiker that appears several hours later.
    In case you missed the second to last sentence, I'm going to treat them with permethrin. A tick that gets on me will be dead several hours later. Less than an hour, if my one timed experiment is a good approximation (15 minutes after a happy healthy tick was put on my pant leg, it had turned upside down, assuming the dead bug position).

Permethrin isn't used as a repellent - at least that's not why I use it - it is so any tick that gets on me DIES a terrible death within minutes.

...but now that you mention it, although I have found a dead tick or two on my clothing, generally speaking I think they are, indeed, repelled.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I just bought a pair of the Rynoskin pants, which are a very light, tightly woven nylon/lycra blend, base layer designed to keep insects from biting you without chemicals.
    Sunday morning, I did 2 hours at a local preserve wearing shorts with those Rynoskin tights underneath to protect my legs - but mostly to see if they are hot to wear in the summer.
    They are not hot to wear in the summer. Since they are thin and ultra light, the sweat evaporates just as quickly (if not more so) as it would from bare legs.

They claim 99.x percent effective against biting insects including ticks, fleas, and biting flies. On my 2 hour walk, I was bitten on the calf by 4 horseflies. Through the Rynoskin pants.

I'm still going to wear them in a couple weeks when I go up for my next section, but they will have been treated with permethrin. I sweat too much for applications of insect repellent to be reliable.
    Permethrin hasn't helped me with horse flies at all. I've been bitten through a shirt that was soaked in it and allowed to air dry. I'm going to try lemon eucalyptus oil next.

Haven't found a single tick on me since I started treating my close with the permethrin though.
    Horse flies suck.

Yeah...the horseflies are just a nuisance to me. Ticks are my main concern, due to the risk of diseases they carry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Have any women used this on their underwear? I use it on all my clothing, socks, bras but not undies. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post
    Have any women used this on their underwear? I use it on all my clothing, socks, bras but not undies. Advice?
    It should be safe, but probably isn't necessary. Treated outer clothing should be enough to keep away ticks. One thing about permethrin that I like is that its a non-persistant chemical. Sunlight destroys it. Treating underwear can be another line of defense once the effectiveness of the treatment on the outer clothing has worn off.

Journal Entries

Insect Shield is a company that treats clothing for you. They do not accept underwear of any kind. I do know Rain Man said he treated his undies, but I go with Insect shield's recommendation.
    Blackheart

I think that's because they don't want to handle someone's skivvies, not because they can't.

Journal Entries

Not that either, because even if your clothing is brand new, they want you to wash it a couple of times before sending it. They also don't want anything marked waterproof or DWR. Personally the idea of having chemicals that kill bugs on contact that close to, well you know.
    Blackheart

It kills bugs because they have a different neurosystem than mammals. Mammals break the chemical down to inert ingredients. Its why you don't apply it directlt to skin. Our bodies render it harmless.

Journal Entries

I know, it was just a little tongue in cheek humor.
    Blackheart

I use Sawyers brand. I have a rollie clothes hanger thing. I hang all my clothes on that except for underwear (i believe I read somewhere to not spray underwear). I then spray away. I let the clothes hang dry. So far no ticks. I do this with my kids hiking clothes and no ticks for them either.
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

Images

The military uses permethrin. Their instructions say do not treat underwear or headbands. Treating outer clothing should be sufficient. The US military recommends treating clothing with permethrin and exposed skin with Ultrathon time release DEET; other time release DEET should work as well.

• Bought some Vital Protection AM-2 TODAY. It contains 2.2g/L of Permethrin. Unlike Sawyer, where one treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again, this one apparently lasts 30 washings or three months.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++