WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Break-Ins at Unicoi Gap

Arrived at Unicoi the morning of Wed 4/5. 5 cars with their windows busted out. A good samaritan placed garbage bags over the windows to keep all the rain out. Damn shame.

Damn, we left a car there a week ago saturday night with no problem.

Not unexpected.

A good solution that we use is http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html and then leave the doors unlocked. Lash the pacsafe to the steel steat hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Not unexpected.

A good solution that we use is http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html and then leave the doors unlocked. Lash the pacsafe to the steel steat hardware.
    I as well have a car safe I leave under the floor matt. There are tests on youtube of trying to get this safe open, or off the tether with no success. I can put my pistol, wallet and checkbook in here and feel at ease while hiking.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I always empty my vehicle of anything remotely valuable before I leave it at a trail head and open the glove boxes, center console, and under seat storage so they are visibly empty. I know it will not stop everyone, but my hope is if they see I am not hiding anything they will move on and leave my vehicle alone.

I also am rather picky about where I leave my vehicle as well. I will pay a little more for a shuttle if I can leave it at a business or a residence.

Default Gross out the miscreants...

Take a Pamper, or a Depends, (depending on ???), and spread some Nutella on it. Leave it on the seat of your vehicle. No one will break in!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Take a Pamper, or a Depends, (depending on ???), and spread some Nutella on it. Leave it on the seat of your vehicle. No one will break in!
    Don't ever leave food or even clothes in your car while parked at a trailhead, if you can help it.

Ask me about my alternative trail name, Mouse Car. And the car I ended up selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two years ago I slept in my SUV at Unicoi Gap. Most unsettling night I have had on the trail lol
    -A guy hit a deer head on in his pickup truck right in front of the parking lot
    -A crazya$$ nobo was screaming at the top of his lungs due to a overheating/ shorting out mag light..He would climb a little, light would die, screaming. And so on and so on.
    -A car stopped in the middle of the highway - Drunk passenger rolls out into the road. Gets up. takes a leak in the road. stumbled over to the many cars parked and starts looking into them. He got to my car, looking in thru the current rain, I don't know if he was too drunk to tell, windows tinted, I laid there looking at him, Sam Colt starring him down. He left on his own no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    Don't ever leave food or even clothes in your car while parked at a trailhead, if you can help it.

Ask me about my alternative trail name, Mouse Car. And the car I ended up selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brown shoe polish would work lol

Oh that's good!

++ New Posts ++