WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: probiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    What is the name of the product?
    This is the one we are using in household:
    https://www.multikraft.com/de/produk...ung-raumklima/
    Sorry, no English on this site.
    And yes, your Google search results describe exactly what I'm speaking about.

The guy I mentioned above is selling a competitive product, which comes it two brands, one is for (professional) cleaning and sanitation, and the other one is for use on/in humans. The difference is in the solvent mainly.
    One story, and the most impressive one, he was telling is, there was a teenager who acquired a resistant bug in hospital, which setteled in the lung and didn't respond to any treatment modern medicine could provide. The docs gave her up and she was ready to die.
    The idea of the probiotics came up and they sprayed the room the girl was in twice a day with this substance. A few days later they could pull the tube and another two weeks later left the hospital for good.

Another story (and the one that geva me the idea to try probiotics on my moldy garage):
    An old tract of a hospital was going to get closed down by the authorities due to mold. The hospitals tech people could not get clear of the mold, whatever they tried.
    Finally my friend convinced them to give it one last try with his probiotic substance, he applied the stuff in the recommended way (I think it was spraying the rooms), the personnel continued for some more days to do so.
    Several days later they called in the authorities to measure the rooms air quality again - and they could not measure any mold at all. Zero. They could not belive and measured again and again and came back with a different equipment - same result, zero or close to zero mold.

Just two weeks back we had a similar experience here in my house:
    My house is an approx. 500yr old stone building, stuck in the earth with no real foundation. Only by having a wall heating we can live here quite a modern life.
    We have several really old wooden furniture, which becomes moldy every summer (when the heating is not running). So to clean up the whole living area, including all furniture, during the last indian summer days is tedious, but mandatory.
    Last year's cleaning, my wife applied this probiotic stuff to all the old furniture.
    This year we didn't have to clean at all (well, not more than the usual vac), there was zero mold.

Then again, this is all rather technical use of probiotic, and while I can proof that it works for this purpose, its not exactly what the OP was asking for.
    I cannot proof that probiotics could fight off all the typical stomach bugs, nor any other bugs you might acquire.
    Yes, eating untreated yoghurt helps you if you've got stomach troubles (note: "help" not "cure").

Leo, these are products sounding very much as having antibiotic functions - antibiotics.

Preventable deaths abound...in U.S. hospitals. Gov't and industry accumulated stats of hospital acquired infections resulting in fatalities are up to over 80,000 annually. Add to that the preventable mistakes and it is number three as the U.S. cause of mortality. Shhh! Hushed up stats and perspectives tend to follow too big to fail economic business sectors.

Think about how "clean" we assume hospitals.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ions/index.htm
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbin...nfections.aspx

Get your stats and perspectives how you will but it doesn't change that hospital acquired infections are in part due to anti-biotic overuse.

DW, to my understanding, probiotics as described above is just the opposite of antibiotics.
    Antibiotics would kill any germs no matter what. Germs traditionally are really great in mutating quickly and by this developing resistance against the given antibiotics.
    So after having applied the classical antibiotics so many times, its highly likely that some germs would develope resistance. These single germs will spread like crazy because there is no competitive population of germs any more (remember, you just killed them all... well, all but some single ones).
    Now you have an overpopulation of germs you can't kill without killing the host too.
    BTW, the same is true with sanitation.

The way probiotics work is, you introduce a reasonable amount of good germs that are really robust that will spread over the host quick by this taking away the food and living space of the bad germs.
    I'm well aware that all this might sound quite repellent to Americans, who are perfectly educated to "kill all germs" no matter what.

Thank you Leo for the voice of reason in the cacophony of opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Thx Leo. Yup, spoke too fast without reading deeply enough.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I used to eat as much live culture yogurt as possible, to fight off the bad bacteria in my stomach from drinking untreated water. I'm not sure if it helped or not. Does anyone have a probiotic story? (For or against) I'm debating bringing some along with regular multivitamins.
    Probiotics are live microorganisms intended to provide health benefits when consumed, generally by improving or restoring the gut flora. Probiotics are considered generally safe to consume, but may cause bacteria-host interactions and unwanted side effects in rare cases

After reading the definition- "this is the owl typing" my introduction to this, was (pause) "let's say difficult." A yogurt with a famous actress coining the virtues of dining on a small cup of rancid milk. That is what Yogurt is - rancid milk. Words matter lets call it what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Poop transplants from healthy persons apparently have worked wonders for persons that had their own flora destroyed by antibiotics. After struggled with issues for years. Probiotics, etc not help. Yup its exactly what you might think
    My understanding is that the healthy bacteria is harvested from baby poop. Cleaned up of course. Out of some frustration I have tried some of Probiotics not poop, as well as Beeno and other products touting healthy virtues... waste of money, time, and toilet paper.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

What is the significance of putting an emphasis on calling yogurt rancid milk? Wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Well, yogurt definitely is not rancid milk.

But then, English seems to be great to produce snotty words for stuff other cultures like.
    What we love as "Sauerkraut", Aussies call "rotten cabbage".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    What is the significance of putting an emphasis on calling yogurt rancid milk? Wondering...
    He probably doesn't like yogurt. I wonder how he feels about rancid barley-malt?

I have milk and water kefir. When I remember to take it I know I'm getting live culture's because I swallow the kefir grains.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I used to eat as much live culture yogurt as possible, to fight off the bad bacteria in my stomach from drinking untreated water. I'm not sure if it helped or not. Does anyone have a probiotic story? (For or against) I'm debating bringing some along with regular multivitamins.
    Getting back on topic. It certainly can help. In the context of your post yes probiotics are a part of the reason why I, and strongly believe others, have lower risk of contracting water born pathogens. It's not just luck or being born under a fortunate genetic star. Nutrition, metabolism, diet, lifestyle, general health, and health of the microbiome are correlated with the level of risk. They are relational. This has been stated here on WB several times previously. There may be other factors involved.

I see new breakthroughs occurring in the near future how the health of the microbiome and these other factors play a greater role in immunology, cognitve abilities, obesity, cancer, circulation, inflammation, pain management, digestion and assimilation, cardiovascular health, and aspects of physiology like endurance than currently understood. We'll gain a greater understanding how microbiome affects gene regulation/expression.

For your science(story) based reading:

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2179

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303825/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1123124256.htm

:banana

well my story is that I'm over 50 years old and I have basically never treated my water. I have a Sawyer gravity filter bag (unused), I have Katadyn pump filter (unused), I have a full bottle of aqua mira (unused) and I have a steripen that I used for 4 days on the Long Trail with my family before batteries ran out and then did not use it since. To my knowledge I never got giardia and I have been out backpacking since the age of 7. I eat yogurt, I drink Kefir, I drink Kombucha and I drink Lassi. I have one of these at least twice per week. So that's my anecdotal story. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Getting back on topic. It certainly can help. In the context of your post yes probiotics are a part of the reason why I, and strongly believe others, have lower risk of contracting water born pathogens. It's not just luck or being born under a fortunate genetic star. Nutrition, metabolism, diet, lifestyle, general health, and health of the microbiome are correlated with the level of risk. They are relational. This has been stated here on WB several times previously. There may be other factors involved.

I see new breakthroughs occurring in the near future how the health of the microbiome and these other factors play a greater role in immunology, cognitve abilities, obesity, cancer, circulation, inflammation, pain management, digestion and assimilation, cardiovascular health, and aspects of physiology like endurance than currently understood. We'll gain a greater understanding how microbiome affects gene regulation/expression.

For your science(story) based reading:

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2179

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303825/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1123124256.htm
    Let me go

Images

I'm going to begin drinking modified butter milk. Modified with a drop or two of vanilla extract.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++