WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    I understand we don't like each other, CR. So what's your point, you don't like my post. Good! Now go troll somebody else.
    Good Lord, get over yourself. And yes, this thread should be deleted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    We cant forget the guy that ordered a cuben fiber product from Zpacks and took a knife to the box. Then upset at zpacks when he cut his cuben fiber lol
    NO!!!!! I had forgotten about him and now you go and remind me. GRRRRR!!!!

Journal Entries

I had some small items missing from order once when Matt first started and Joe was out hiking , NZ I recall. Only amounted to a $1-2, I never said anything.

Glad you patched things up

Not a bad idea to withhold public criticism until it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    So the bottom line of this whole kerfuffle is that Zpacks got the order exactly right and shipped promptly but the customer failed to notice that the patch material comes on a roll and that Zpacks measured out 3 units... apparently the rather large size of the patch was not observed until Zpacks pointed it out? And the customer wasn't happy that he was unable to pick up a phone and immediately chew on somebody's ear?

And for that Zpacks gets a big "TWO THUMBS DOWN" on WB. Schweeeet.

So from now on we'll read on Zpacks product info the bloody obvious fact that the material comes on a roll and is cut to length according to the number of units ordered.

Somehow I think Zpacks will survive this, lol.
    Ha ha. You are probably right.

Zpacks sends a response e-mail letting you know when you are likely to hear from them.

I like z-packs and used many of their products on my thru. One thing I don't like is the lack of telephone support. Yes, they generally respond in a reasonable amount of time via email but when you are on the trail and need a quick reply it is a pain. This is especially true if you are having patchy internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    One thing I don't like is the lack of telephone support. Yes, they generally respond in a reasonable amount of time via email but when you are on the trail and need a quick reply it is a pain. This is especially true if you are having patchy internet connection.
    This is a significant consideration for me. Having to search out WiFi access points for reliable InterNet connectivity and wait up to 48 hours makes that enough of a hassle that I wouldn't want to depend on products from a company with these customer service policies for my through hike. What's good enough for people at home may not be good enough for people on the Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    This is a significant consideration for me. Having to search out WiFi access points for reliable InterNet connectivity and wait up to 48 hours makes that enough of a hassle that I wouldn't want to depend on products from a company with these customer service policies for my through hike. What's good enough for people at home may not be good enough for people on the Trail.
    So....your phone doesn't have a data plan that can be used to access the internet using cellular....? Gotta be Wifi? Yeah, I don't buy that argument.

Journal Entries

Z-Pack did me darn right on my thru (though to be fair many will do you darn right on a thru, it's part of the magic of a thru). Sending me 2 yards of Cuban repair tape free for a small self imposed rupture of my CuF tent for nothing more then sending them an email. They are there to help the thru hikers, perhaps other hikers as well.

I have an eVoice voicemail box and toll-free number for less than $10 mth. Voicemails are emailed to me in .wav format. Simple enough to setup and give you a TFN for your customers. Not criticizing, just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    So....your phone doesn't have a data plan that can be used to access the internet using cellular....? Gotta be Wifi? Yeah, I don't buy that argument.
    I guess you've never heard of Republic Wireless, then. I get unlimited voice and texts for about $17 a month, but data is strictly via WiFi. In fact, everything goes via WiFi (VOIP) if that's available. I can get cellular data some places, but even attempting to use that causes significant auto-charges to my credit card, with no refunds if the data quality sucks. So essentially, data is only a WiFi thing. I'll just be a hiker in search of hotspots.

There was two reasons I went with HMG over zpacks, not having a phone number was one of them. Just because it's more convenient for your business to operate via email does not mean it's equally as convenient for the customers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I guess you've never heard of Republic Wireless, then. I get unlimited voice and texts for about $17 a month, but data is strictly via WiFi. In fact, everything goes via WiFi (VOIP) if that's available. I can get cellular data some places, but even attempting to use that causes significant auto-charges to my credit card, with no refunds if the data quality sucks. So essentially, data is only a WiFi thing. I'll just be a hiker in search of hotspots.
    So to send that 5 KB email from your phone over cellular would really rack up those CC charges?

Images

Gosh, I know its a bummer to not what was ordered, but I'm kinda with COrob and Gambit on this... this forum is not the place to say what the OP did without greater detail as to the complaint. It certainly appears that there was not sufficient lag between sending the email and posting this thread. I don't know, we don't have that detail, but if that is the case it was wrong to make the post.

I don't think this thread should be deleted, but rather closed. There's good info here on what to do and what not to do, as well as very positive info for Zpacks and those that might buy from them.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The title of this thread made me think someone was rating the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    That is certainly (and appropriately) how it has turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    So to send that 5 KB email from your phone over cellular would really rack up those CC charges?
    I think that would automatically accrue a $20 data charge, yeah. I'd have a credit for a moderate amount of additional data usage minus that first 5KB for the month, but the first bite (byte) of the data apple is expensive. So I'm going to spend a bunch of time early next year downloading Google map data along the AT onto my phone, then I'll be using GPS with that locally-stored data. I can use voice and text on the Trail whenever there's a signal, and I can catch up on InterNet stuff (weather forecasts, email, uploading my photos, & c.) at WiFi hotspots at resupply towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    I think the "all thumbs down" he's received is an appropriate rating. Unfortunately the thread title remains (right near the top of a google search on packs customer service, damaging a top-flight vendor for no valid reason.

I've had amazon numerous times short me on duplicate or similar items before. Even the CDTC did that to me last year when I ordered 2 CDT patches. That sort of thing happens all the time with a lot of companies. No need to whine about it if it hasn't been weeks with no reponse. If the item was really cheap, I don't always even bother to complain about it unless I really needed it. Stuff happens. Zpacks and most other companies will eventually get back to you after you contact them. Was there even a need for this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Posted this in another thread but thought I should re-post here also.

Quote Originally Posted:

This happened just this last weekend....That is the stay protruding through the straps that are supposed to retain it. This is a 1year old Zpacks Arc Haul. I have contacted Zpacks(yesterday), awaiting a reply. Click image for larger version.

Attachment 39028

UPDATE -- Zpacks responded within 24h. They apologized, and said they would repair the pack, just mail it to them!
    Wow - what a customer-focused solution. mail it in, have it repaired and wait for them to mail it back. That's convenient - hope you weren't on a trip when it happened. I have nothing against Z-packs or any other cottage gear maker, but I do think that all of the apologists here on WB are doing the small companies a disservice by making excuses for them and not holding them up to the same standards of product quality and customer service of the larger companies. And to those who would ask what they could have done better - they could have made it with a better design or material to avoid the defect in the first place, but once such an obvious defect manifested iteslf, shipped a replacement with a prepaid return label (after getting a credit card number to ensure a return of the defective pack) - just like larger manufacturers and retailers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++