WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Complains about being categorized as "not Black-Black", then categorizes:
    Trump as xenophobic,
    Confederate flag fliers as indicating "tendrils of hate",
    People who aren't Prince fans don't care about "black grief". (sorry, it's hard for me to get upset over some performer who died from a drug overdose when I've seen dozens of black kids hurt and killed by gunfire, drugs and gangs in the inner city).
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Complains about being categorized as "not Black-Black", then categorizes:
    Trump as xenophobic,
    Confederate flag fliers as indicating "tendrils of hate",
    People who aren't Prince fans don't care about "black grief". (sorry, it's hard for me to get upset over some performer who died from a drug overdose when I've seen dozens of black kids hurt and killed by gunfire, drugs and gangs in the inner city).
    Logically, why shouldn't she complain about being called not black-black? How does that invalidate her beliefs about Trump. There's no connection between the two statements, no hypocrisy. I have no clue why you tied these two things together.

A certain percentage of people do fly the Confederate flag as a pro slavery heritage. Maybe not all of them, but it's apparently a valid concern to her.

Prince was a performer who had a more difficult life because of his sexual ambiguity, religious beliefs, and seemingly a whole lot of confusion between the two, as well as his skin color. Perhaps those things contributed, in part to why he abused opioids? No one asked you to rate his death on a scale of the most noble deaths.

The point is: it's her story based on her experiences, told through her filter. Your experiences differ, your filters differ. It's anecdotal. Treat it as a single data point. It's not false, it's not the entire story of the trail, it's not the entire story of America. It's her story and there's no reason it should threaten you or your beliefs. I'm glad I live in a country where very different people can tell very different stories.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Describing someone as "not Black-Black" is insensitive. So is calling someone a xenophobe. When you complain about one thing and then do the exact thing to someone else we call that hypocrisy.

I know no one who flies a Confederate flag who is pro slavery. I do have a friend in the Sons of Confederate Veterans, he is proud of his ancestors service and history. My ancestors served on the Union side, one died at Vicksburg.

You are correct, no one asked me to rate Prince's death on a scale. I offered my opinion based on my experiences. This is the internet, people are allowed to offer opinions.

Her or her story is not a threat to my beliefs. That is an assumption on your part.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Who the heck is "Prince", anyway???
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Describing someone as "not Black-Black" is insensitive. So is calling someone a xenophobe. When you complain about one thing and then do the exact thing to someone else we call that hypocrisy.

I know no one who flies a Confederate flag who is pro slavery. I do have a friend in the Sons of Confederate Veterans, he is proud of his ancestors service and history. My ancestors served on the Union side, one died at Vicksburg.

You are correct, no one asked me to rate Prince's death on a scale. I offered my opinion based on my experiences. This is the internet, people are allowed to offer opinions.

Her or her story is not a threat to my beliefs. That is an assumption on your part.
    One is insensitive to the person standing across from you. One is a political opinion about someone who chose to be a candidate and put himself and his beliefs into the public spotlight. I'd hardly consider that insensitive. There is no hypocrisy, zero involved in calling a xenophobe a xenophobe

Exactly. You know of no one. Great for you that you live in a nice neighborhood among tolerant friends who you have no fear of.

I didn't find your rating of his death particularly pertinent to this conversation. I'm closer to your age than to her age. We've both experienced multiple deaths of our childhood idols. Think back to when you were younger, and how the experience impacted you.

That is an assumption on my part.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 04-15-2017 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Who the heck is "Prince", anyway???
    You may remember him by his other name.
    08.21.14.Blog_.Love-Symbol.png

Images

To many black people, the Confederate flag is akin to what a swastika represents to a Jew. Capture, enslavement, rape, torture, murder... That those historic extremes didn't happen to them personally doesn't lessen the effect of knowing that their recent ancestors experienced it, simply because of their race, religion, or ethnicity. So, it is a BIG deal - because it's about slavery and murder of people who looked like you, people who worshiped like you, people whose genes you carry. And it all took place right here not that long ago, and in the authors case, on the very ground she was walking.

The author wrote of HER PERSONAL emotions and thoughts regarding her experience. And yes, she may in her own mind exaggerate the extent of those experiences to some extent. That is human nature, especially for younger people, and especially in a polarized society. But the root of what drives those emotions is pretty visible to anyone who cares to look with an open mind. That some dismiss her story entirely out of hand (many without actually reading it), and are so incredibly defensive about the subject itself, speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    You can't ignore her view of the Confederate flag. To white people it may be a symbol of family pride or the flag of a lost cause, only worthy of an eye roll. To black Americans it is a threat of violence. It is the symbol of lynchings, race riots, police dogs, and night riders. That flag will divide us until the end of this country.
    I remember one year getting a Dukes of Hazzard General Lee car for my birthday from a black friend at school. We have hyper sensitized folks to this stuff over the years.

I'm a born and bred Yankee, BTW.

My summary:

Woman hikes through Appalachia, gets upset that Appalachians don't conform to her culture.

BTW... I'm a prince fan. I wouldn't expect the average 20 something to know who he is, though.

I thought it was well put together in expressing her observations, emotions, and thoughts. Clearly some disagree which is fine, though wanting to destroy anyone with a different point of view is a bit of a reach. We can't really talk about this stuff without hearing all the points of view however.

Ignorance can be cured, its stupid thats forever.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I remember one year getting a Dukes of Hazzard General Lee car for my birthday from a black friend at school. We have hyper sensitized folks to this stuff over the years.

I'm a born and bred Yankee, BTW.
    Yankees suck! Be a Red Sox fan instead!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Yankees suck! Be a Red Sox fan instead!

Sorry about the injection of rediculous humor. Racism is sad.

CSS

If you want to learn more about the experience of African Americans along the what is now the A.T. in Harpers Ferry area--from John Brown's Raid and the Civil War until now--come to the Flip Flop Festival this weekend.

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of Storer College, which was created to provide education for freed slaves after the Civil War; related hikes and programs are included in the festival. Also, Brittany Leavitt from Outdoor Afro will present a program on the hike she led last fall across the A.T. in Maryland in honor of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad, and "Mr. Fabulous" will tell stories from his upcoming book, An Unlikely Thru-Hiker.

Learn more here: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...al-April-22-23.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Images

I met Mr Fabulous on his thru-hike, just south of Waynesboro, as I was doing a sobo long section. We had a great, though necessarily short, conversation. Wish I could be there this weekend, and I'll look for his book.

The Outside article that started this thread was an interesting read, and I enjoyed it. Also, speaking as the card-carrying Liberal of your worst nightmares, I haven't been called a Commie in years, very nostalgic.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Tom Ashbrook is interviewing the author for NPR's "On Point" radio program today, if anyone is interested.

Perhaps we should not be surprised that not everyone experiences the trail in the same way. Keeping politics off the trail is, in itself, a form of privilege.

I've come to learn that people who view the world through a racial lens are usually the biggest racists themselves. Contrary to what many may think, 99% of minorities don't wake up every day thinking about the challenges facing them as they embark on a new day being black, or latino, or whatever. They go to work, spend time with their families, and worry about bills like the rest of us. I can't imagine being trapped inside the author's head, her existence sounds miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Is she carrying a backpack or a chip on her shoulders?
    Just about a whole back pack full.

Journal Entries

Utter b.s.
    As expected from the source

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Well i'm hitting the trail next week. You all better hope Eddie Van Halen doesn't die or I'm gonna be a real grouch out there. Might even send an article to Guitar Player magazine about it and blame the Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Well i'm hitting the trail next week. You all better hope Eddie Van Halen doesn't die or I'm gonna be a real grouch out there. Might even send an article to Guitar Player magazine about it and blame the Appalachian Trail.
    All our music heros are dropin' like flies.

"We may be old but we've seen all the cool bands"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++