WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain jacket

Journal Entries

Default Rain jacket

I'm hiking Pearisburg, Va. to Wingdale, NY beginning 5/29. Do I really need to bring rain gear with me during the warm weather months on the middle third of the AT?
    I'm a heavy sweater, so I'll get wet either way...from rain, or from the sweat under my rain jacket when it does rain. Thoughts?

It could double as a wind jacket and just a layer to hold in warmth if the temps drop at night. If you are wet and the wind is blowing you could get awfully chilly even in 60+ degrees.

I'd recommend at least a light rain jacket for use in camp. Once you stop hiking, even slightly cool rain will suck the heat out of you at a surprising rate.

Journal Entries

I have a packa that is a rain/wind jacket and pack cover all in one....I'll probably take that again with me this year...

Journal Entries

I, too, recommend a rain jacket to act at least as a windbreaker. A moderately stiff wind on a wet body can result in hypothermia which can lead to some dire consequences.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It doesn't require freezing temperatures to die of hypothermia. Hypothermia is a possibility any time of year if you get cold and wet. Night time lows can easily get into the 50s. Add some wind and rain and hypothermia can become a very real danger.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Cheap rain jacket (Frogg Toggs) for when it's cool enough or you're not generating heat, and an umbrella. A lot of folks ridicule the umbrella idea from their armchairs, but I get a lot of "geez, I wish I had one" when I meet them on the trail in the rain.

Images

I don't understand, if you have the Packa, why were you asking about a rain jacket? I don't see any need for both.

HKDK may be correct about hypothermia, but you should always be able to climb into your insulation (bag, quilts, extra clothes if you have them). Key is to keep them dry.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

Wasn't going to bring the packa, just an Osprey pack cover that I already have.

Images

I think its more personal preference. You will have some tell you that hypothermia is possible, but I say that's only if you're standing around in camp. Keep hiking, then no, you don't need the rain gear. You do need dry clothes to put on in camp. As others have said, there are applications for the rain jacket that may come into play, especially for wind.

I haven't done the middle section, but I wouldn't midjudge it based on lower elevation. You likely still have some exposed areas where you'd want something to put on. If you're not the type to want to sit down and enjoy a view, and you are the type that's going to push all day until camp, then you probably don't need any rain gear. Those caveats aside, I'd take either the packa or jacket/cover combo depending on your preferences for weight, etc. I'd probably prefer the extra weight of the jacket to have packed in the pack as needed for stops and camp instead of wearing the packa all day, but that's because I like getting wet in the rain.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

If you felt the need to ask this question bring the packa.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    It doesn't require freezing temperatures to die of hypothermia. Hypothermia is a possibility any time of year if you get cold and wet. Night time lows can easily get into the 50s. Add some wind and rain and hypothermia can become a very real danger.

I'll second that. Its not the moving that's the issue soon as you stop this when it sets in. I got a mild case of it years ago falls under young and dumb. I got a set of frogg toggs now and they are worth the weight doesn't add much
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Rain jackets won't keep you dry, they are to keep you warm. Take the packa. It will keep the wind off you.

The Packa seems like a reasonable choice. There are also very lightweight rain/wind jackets available.

Journal Entries

Recommendations for an umbrella? Maker and where to get one....REI, Amazon, ????

I say educate yourself and DON'T bring a rain jacket this trip. That way, next time you will know to take one.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Images

Umbrella I have carried for 6 years of AT hiking is made by Montbell, their ultralite trekking version.

Journal Entries

??????????

Journal Entries

Thanks Sandy, I'll check it out.

In the summer I prefer a Sil-nylon poncho. It's light and packs small and ventilates really well while I'm moving. I have sleeping gear to deal with cold temperatures at night (down is really light weight)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++