WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need recommendations on a synthetic bag !

Hi Everyone:

This forum has so many knowledgeable people - and I need some help picking a 20 degree synthetic bag. Here are my choices so far, with prices from Campmor:

Sierra Designs Wild Bill 3D (older model) - $70, 3 lbs, 5 oz
    - nice features, but lacks chest baffle
    - hood design isn't the best
    - Slightly heavier
    - taffeta shell

TNF Cat's Meow (older model) - $130, 2 lbs, 13 oz
    - slightly more compressible
    - has chest baffle
    - better hood
    - "Firestorm" shell

Any feedback on these models, or advice to other models that I should consider ? I'd like to keep the price low.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK
    .....Any feedback on these models, or advice to other models that I should consider ? I'd like to keep the price low.Thanks !
    I would say go with the North Face Cat's Meow, I have had the best luck and use from mine, did a 96 thru hike with one, it kept me warm and I never had a problem with it. A very durable and lasting bag.

the kelty light year 3d might work. i don't have one, but proably would buy one to get rid of mine, if i had money, and didnt want to make one

Thumbs up

I second the Cat's Meow. IMO the best all around synthetic bag on the market. Mine is the newer model with Polarguard. I was planning on selling it when I got my new WM Megalite. But I just can't part with it for colder or wetter trips. If you take good care of it, and want to sell it later the resale value will be a bit more than other 20 deg. synthetics.

I carried the Wild Bill for the last 3 weeks of my sobo thru, and it was wicked warm, but wicked heavy and super bulky...I only got it b/c it was real cheap, I would have got something lighter, liek the cat's meow if i could have afforded it. So, if you have the money, alwasy get the lightest item
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

I must say that on my Thru-Hike the Cat pleased me enough (for both ends, but not in summer) that last year when I went to replace it (my 94 Cat is tired) I found myself buying the newer version Cat Meow as the replacement. That would be 1 Thru-Hike and 9 years of camping in it.
    Last edited by Smooth; 01-26-2006 at 21:50.

I need some help picking a 20 degree synthetic bag.
    Wiggy's Ultralight.

Images

i prefer down, but i've never heard a bad thing about TNF's Cat's Meow... gets good reviews too. i'd pay the extra $$ to save the half pound. just my two cents...

? I'd like to keep the price low.

I understand financial constraints, but your sleeping bag is the most important piece of gear you will carry and I would get the best one you can afford.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49
    I understand financial constraints, but your sleeping bag is the most important piece of gear you will carry and I would get the best one you can afford.
    Second that motion. Several years ago I bought my first bag. I got a Coleman for about 30 bucks. Saved a lot of money. Also wasted 30 bucks. Skimp and save on anything else or everything else. But don't try it with a bag. Get the best you can afford the first time or you will wind up like a lot of newbies (I was one) and end up with a good bag in the pack and a cheapie in the closet.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Default Has anyone used the new Marmot Fusion bag?

There is a new bag design using down (inside) and synthetic (outside). Marmot and Big Agnes make 30 and 15 degree bags using this Insotect technology. I get cold in my Cat's Meow bag even when the temperature isn't near the 20 degrees the bag is rated for.
    mary and carl

I got to give the the Cat's Meow a thumbs up. I have the model that Campmor is blowing out and realy like it. And paid alot more for it. I'm kind of scared of getting a down bag wet in the spring. It's a very good compromise on the weight vs.warmth scale also. IMO. My winter bag is down, but my two summer/spring bags are of a plastic fill.

I carried the North Face Fission 15 degree bag for the last third (colder) of my thru hike. It was incredibly light and compacted well, but was restrictive and only had a quarter zip. That never really bothered me because I usually zipped up fully at night. If you don't mind a restrictive bag, the Fission is one of the lightest synthetics on the market. Like Mike said, don't hold back here, spend the money and get a light bag

Images

Hi Everyone:

This forum has so many knowledgeable people - and I need some help picking a 20 degree synthetic bag. Here are my choices so far, with prices from Campmor:

Any feedback on these models, or advice to other models that I should consider ? I'd like to keep the price low.

Thanks !
    I bought a couple of these from campmor for my kids:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

THey were on sale for 29.99 (now 39.99). The are a half pound heavier than the wild bill but the price is right. In Dec 05 my son (age 11 and a cold sleeper) slept comfortably at Jarrard Gap in the teens with a hellava wind. He had a fleece liner too ($9 when galyan's closed down). In early Jan 06 my bro in law used the same setup for a couple of nights and was very warm tho the temps were teen's/low 20's with high winds (wind chill < than 0). They compress down more than the listed size.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maryelle
    There is a new bag design using down (inside) and synthetic (outside). Marmot and Big Agnes make 30 and 15 degree bags using this Insotect technology. I get cold in my Cat's Meow bag even when the temperature isn't near the 20 degrees the bag is rated for.
    From the reviews I read - the Cat's meow seems to work for the guys better than the girls. More than one review said women who sleep cold were cold in it below the freezing mark. And I DO NOT like to be cold!!

So I got the 15 degree Marmot Maverick on sale at Backcountryoutlet.com
    tonight. I had to go long b/c of my height, but it's only two ounces more than the Cat and if I stay warmer and can bring less clothes, the weight all works out. Some may think 15 degrees is too much for a thru hike, but not if I can get a good night's sleep without being cold in the spring and the fall. And it will make a nice "blanket" in the warmer weather.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I would take a look at the Marmot Pounder Plus 25 degree at 2lb 2oz, can't beat it. List is $189
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Just asking, why synthetic?

Images

Hi Everyone:

Sierra Designs Wild Bill 3D (older model) - $70, 3 lbs, 5 oz
    - nice features, but lacks chest baffle
    - hood design isn't the best
    - Slightly heavier
    - taffeta shell

TNF Cat's Meow (older model) - $130, 2 lbs, 13 oz
    - slightly more compressible
    - has chest baffle
    - better hood
    - "Firestorm" shell

Thanks !
    slumber jack 20 degree bag 69.97, 2lbs and 15 oz neo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Just asking, why synthetic?
    Well, after spending a rainy day on the summit of the Whites and my son suffering from hypothermia, to discover that our down bags were wet when we were ready to set up camp convinced me to go synthetic. Of course it didn't help that we had to drag our packs down the Sphynx trail that had turned into a raging waterfall.

I think down is great for out west were it's dry. But in the rainy and unpredictable Appalachians were it can snow up until May, synthetic can keep you alive.

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    slumber jack 20 degree bag 69.97, 2lbs and 15 oz neo

My son ended up with my 25 degree Slumberjack that I got for $40 at Sierra Trading Post. Too cold for me once it hit freezing, but he loves it.

Hiking Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++