WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rattlesnakes and dogs

Does anyone take certain precautions regarding snakes when hiking with dogs? I want to take my dachshund to the Pinnacle in Pennsylvania, but I've heard there are timber rattlesnakes to look out for.

Does anyone have experience with or suggestions for this? Is it a big deal and something to look out for?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Easiest and most effective solution is to use a leash. It has prevented my dog from going after many a snake on trail and allows me to control the situation.

I rarely encounter rattlers specifically on the A.T. In my area (Southern New England), but we cross paths with a lot of rat snakes and other native constrictors that will stand up to a dog. When given space basically all snakes will take the opportunity to retreat.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-14-2017 at 00:47.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Easiest and most effective solution is to use a leash. It has prevented my dog from going after many a snake on trail and allows me to control the situation.

I rarely encounter rattlers specifically on the A.T. In my area, but we cross paths with a lot of rat snakes and other native constrictors that will stand up to a dog. When given space basically all snakes will take the opportunity to retreat.
    Interesting you say that. On the only AT hike I've had my girls on, last Labor Day, we came across an Eastern Diamondback at Annapolis Rocks.

Luckily, both my girls respect and enjoy snakes, so we just observed him for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Interesting you say that. On the only AT hike I've had my girls on, last Labor Day, we came across an Eastern Diamondback at Annapolis Rocks.

Luckily, both my girls respect and enjoy snakes, so we just observed him for a bit.

That looks to be a copperhead

Interesting you say that. On the only AT hike I've had my girls on, last Labor Day, we came across an Eastern Diamondback at Annapolis Rocks
    That looks like a copperhead.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Pretty sure that is a copperhead. I have a section of the trail in VA and see Rattlers all the time. They love to sun themselves in the trail. I would never bring my dog on the AT without it being on a leash.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    That looks like a copperhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Pretty sure that is a copperhead. I have a section of the trail in VA and see Rattlers all the time. They love to sun themselves in the trail. I would never bring my dog on the AT without it being on a leash.
    Yep, my bad. Not sure why I was thinking DB. They say your memory is the second thing to go, I don't remember the first.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yep, my bad. Not sure why I was thinking DB. They say your memory is the second thing to go, I don't remember the first.

A little north of the Diamond Back's range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Garlic
    Images

Yes, it could be a concern. Snakes will bite dogs.

But there should be no problems with a leashed dog. And don't forget about porcupines.

Images

Plenty of Timber rattlers in that area, all are protected by PA law. PA also has a state wide leash law, if you obey that you should have no problems.

Thanks for the advice. What sort of leash do people like for hiking? Specifically what length and material? I'm considering getting one of those leashes that slides and locks, but they're obviously a lot heavier than a length of zing-it or something.

Garlic
    Images

If you're interested in complying with a leash law, see what is required. Some ordinances specify a six foot maximum length.

A freewheeling retractable leash may not protect your dog from wildlife.

I guess that's worth considering. I'll measure a six foot length of line and see how that suits us. I use a shorter length in the city walking her, but with dachshunds being so low to the ground that shorter length makes her a tripping hazard over some terrain if we're too close.

Photo of pup in question: (the black one is her mom)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Danversport View Post
    Thanks for the advice. What sort of leash do people like for hiking? Specifically what length and material? I'm considering getting one of those leashes that slides and locks, but they're obviously a lot heavier than a length of zing-it or something.

I use a plain six foot leash made out of webbing material along with a solid harness (so that it pulls on the dogs body instead of her neck in case one of us takes a fall). This is often clipped into my waist belt with a carabiner which frees up my hands to use my hiking poles.

Retractable leashes are honestly a terrible idea. Most trainers and handlers I know wish they had never been invented.

Here are a few highlights from just one of the many articles about why they are a bad choice.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...dog-leash.aspx

10 Reasons Not to Use a Retractable Leash

1. The length of retractable leashes, some of which can extend up to 26 feet, allows dogs to get far enough away from their humans that a situation can quickly turn dangerous. A dog on a retractable leash is often able to run into the middle of the street, for example, or make uninvited contact with other dogs or people.

2. In the above scenario, or one in which your pet is being approached by an aggressive dog, it is nearly impossible to get control of the situation if the need arises. It's much easier to regain control of – or protect -- a dog at the end of a six-foot standard flat leash than it is if he's 20 or so feet away at the end of what amounts to a thin string.

5. Dogs have also received terrible injuries as a result of the sudden jerk on their neck that occurs when they run out the leash, including neck wounds, lacerated tracheas, and injuries to the spine.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The area you are describing can have numerous snakes under the rocks; sometimes you can see them as you walk on top of the rocks. I have seen both rattlers and copperheads there. Depending on the dog's size this may not be a suitable hike as it is quite bouldery in sections.

I use a little 6' retractable leash. I actually hate most retractable leashes - they are too long and heavy, but 6' isn't bad at all. My dog isn't a big puller, so the leash holds up fine, although I'd have my doubts that it would contain a determined pit bull trying to chase something, for example. I figure the 6' isn't really long enough to build up a head of steam that lets (my dog, at any rate) be out of control. It also is less in the way by retracting than the normal 6' leash we use, especially if hiking poles are involved. The leash getting wound around the poles was the reason to look for a retractable in the first place, and we both like it better. But in no way would I ever recommend longer than a 6' retractable.
    FWIW, I agree with everything Sarcasm said. I just find that for my dog and I the small retractable works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I use a plain six foot leash made out of webbing material along with a solid harness (so that it pulls on the dogs body instead of her neck in case one of us takes a fall). This is often clipped into my waist belt with a carabiner which frees up my hands to use my hiking poles.
    I use a homemade leash, Paracord (550) about 7 ft total, bowline knot for the handle, and a brass swivel clip to attach to my guy's harness. I also clip to a carabiner on my belt, but I run the leash thru a spring clip attached to my chest strap. It keeps the leash up off the ground, and i can work it like the reins of a horse. About halfway down the leash, I ran it thru a white hard plastic ball (about half the size of a ping pong ball) nice visual cue, and I can use it as a grab point when I want more control.

Get a Jack Russel

https://youtu.be/xoQKIoTXQOs

Images

That is a calculated rick that only you can assess. Even while on a leash a dog that doesn't know "leave it" could have an issue. If you have a dog that walks with it's nose on the ground and goes after everything it is curious about then you can have a problem. A leash is not a cure for everything that can go wrong with a dog on the trail. This is coming from a dog lover and hiker/backpacker. I have had dogs that always go with me every time but the dog I have now, forget about it.

++ New Posts ++