WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I'll never look at what I thought was bear scat the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you won't mistake mine for bear scar, I don't eat blueberries and I rarely eat hikers.

In the HMW, camped 20 ft off the trail along Rainbow Stream. Thruhikers walking by never noticed us sitting there cooking supper until we spoke. Either they were very focused or we are very stealthy.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

down when dark. you're set.

up and at 'em when still darkish. you're set.

just be set.

Long ago I camped directly on the trail in the Whites, above treeline in winter. We pitched two tents end to end and cooked in between. Not my proudest moment, but no harm done.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Just a comment on those trails shared with horses. I lived at the base of the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming for well over a decade and did a lot of hiking and backpacking there. The main trails were used by people on horseback before backpacking became a "thing", so I fully understand why I am sharing the trail with horses. It doesn't bother me.

There are many trails in in Winds, many of them not marked or mapped, that are not passable by horses, not because horses aren't permitted, but because they physically can't make it. It was easy to get away from livestock if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Just a comment on those trails shared with horses. I lived at the base of the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming for well over a decade and did a lot of hiking and backpacking there. The main trails were used by people on horseback before backpacking became a "thing", so I fully understand why I am sharing the trail with horses. It doesn't bother me.

There are many trails in in Winds, many of them not marked or mapped, that are not passable by horses, not because horses aren't permitted, but because they physically can't make it. It was easy to get away from livestock if you wanted to.
    Come to the Southeast mountains of TN, VA and NC and see the damage they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Come to the Southeast mountains of TN, VA and NC and see the damage they do.
    I don't doubt you, and while I have developed a certain contempt for "saddle potatoes", I also realize that they aren't going to go away, at least in the west.

As a rule of thumb I think camping on a trail is selfish. I can only think of one time I've camped right on the trail, that was out West on a steep hillside where I was confident someone wouldn't be coming along before I left.

Beyond the rudeness factor, trails would often be poor place to be camped if it rains, and human trails really do become wildlife trails at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    I don't doubt you, and while I have developed a certain contempt for "saddle potatoes", I also realize that they aren't going to go away, at least in the west.
    Wait? I've been using the term "saddle potatoes" in my trail journals for the last 5 or 6 years and it's funny to see someone else using the term for horsemen. (I call trail bicyclists "pedal potatoes")

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    As a rule of thumb I think camping on a trail is selfish. I can only think of one time I've camped right on the trail, that was out West on a steep hillside where I was confident someone wouldn't be coming along before I left.

Beyond the rudeness factor, trails would often be poor place to be camped if it rains, and human trails really do become wildlife trails at night.
    Agree on the wildlife thing, but with due respect, what is actually "selfish" about camping right on the trail if it involves extenuating circumstances? What is ACTUALLY the inconvenience for hikers coming up to a tent on the trail? They have to make two steps to the side of the tent, hardly breaking their stride, and all of this in the unlikely event anyone actually comes along.

I do agree it *seems* rude and selfish, but really, it has no actual effect on hikers who happen upon this circumstance. Just my opinion.

For the record, in 45 years of backpacking, I have never had to do this, but on the AT, it did occur to me a couple times and almost did.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Agree on the wildlife thing, but with due respect, what is actually "selfish" about camping right on the trail if it involves extenuating circumstances? What is ACTUALLY the inconvenience for hikers coming up to a tent on the trail? They have to make two steps to the side of the tent, hardly breaking their stride, and all of this in the unlikely event anyone actually comes along.

I do agree it *seems* rude and selfish, but really, it has no actual effect on hikers who happen upon this circumstance. Just my opinion.

For the record, in 45 years of backpacking, I have never had to do this, but on the AT, it did occur to me a couple times and almost did.
    With equal respect I did say "as a rule of thumb" not "even in extenuating circumstances."

Setting up a shelter on the trail does block the trail and annoy many people, so I think it does have an actual effect. Setting up on the trail makes one hiker's hike a little easier, and any following hiker's hike a little harder. That fits my definition of selfish.

Wait? I've been using the term "saddle potatoes" in my trail journals for the last 5 or 6 years and it's funny to see someone else using the term for horsemen. (I call trail bicyclists "pedal potatoes")
    ...and one who sits home and angrily posts could be construed to be a "potato chip"

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and one who sits home and angrily posts could be construed to be a "potato chip"
    By far my most angry rants come from my trail journals on long backpacking trips. i.e. Backpacking Potato? Or Tent Potato?

By far my most angry rants come from my trail journals on long backpacking trips. i.e. Backpacking Potato? Or Tent Potato?
    Nope, I was referring to me...a little self deprecation for the soul, your trail rants should have an ISBN # affiliated with em

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Long ago I camped directly on the trail in the Whites, above treeline in winter. We pitched two tents end to end and cooked in between. Not my proudest moment, but no harm done.
    While on the Laurel Highlands Trail at, if I remember correctly, the RT 56 shelter area I couldn't find the tent area. So I found a nice flat clear spot off the trail within the area. Found out pretty soon that it was the beginning of the trail to the tenting area. Not too much traffic so I stayed. ⛺️
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    With equal respect I did say "as a rule of thumb" not "even in extenuating circumstances."

Setting up a shelter on the trail does block the trail and annoy many people, so I think it does have an actual effect. Setting up on the trail makes one hiker's hike a little easier, and any following hiker's hike a little harder. That fits my definition of selfish.
    Yet you've done it? I guess we've all been selfish now and then though, who hasn't? My point is that setting up a tent in the middle of the trail does not, in fact, make the hiker's hike any harder really, come on, a couple little steps off to the side, and it's not about making the hiker that sets up his/her tent on the trail any easier, it's about he/she is out of other options. For sure though, it certainly would annoy most hikers to come along and see a tent right in the middle. I have come across this precisely once (and on the AT, of course), and I was just a bit annoyed, despite the fact that in a perfect world, I should not be.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I don't sleep where I poop
    Confession: I have pooped right in my campsite. Which was a spot WELL off trail - like half a mile from the nearest trail and well back from water, and I'd already packed up. Since it wasn't any too likely that anyone else would be sleeping there before Mother Nature had dealt with the consequences, and I wasn't coming back, I wound up digging my hole right where my tent had been.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

...alrightythen.

Another great reason to hang instead of sleeping on the trail on the ground.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    In the HMW, camped 20 ft off the trail along Rainbow Stream. Thruhikers walking by never noticed us sitting there cooking supper until we spoke. Either they were very focused or we are very stealthy.
    They were likely so self absorbed in the typical thru-hiker mentality of having to be somewhere else than where they were that they ignored letting you know they noticed you. Gott go go go gotta be somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yet you've done it? ...
    Yup. Because there were extenuating circumstances and I was confident no one else would come along, and no one did.

Actually, I think our opinions are pretty similar on the topic.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++