WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace

Planning a hike with my brother and our wives from Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace! None of us are big hikers but we enjoy getting out in the woods.

I am havin a hard time finding any information (without buying a guide, but don't plan on doing much just wanted to go for a 2 day hike).

Couple questions:
    1. Are there camp sites along that stretch or would we have to stay in the S.P.?
    2. If there are sites is there one about half way between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace?
    3. How far is that stretch and can 4 novices do it in 2 days or maybe more like 1.5 days (leaving Friday from Caledonia around 4pm) in a couple weeks (May 2017)?

I am sure there are other questions but for now that will get me started!

Thanks in advance for your help!

About 20 miles from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace.

2.7 miles in is Quarry Gap shelter
    10.0 miles in at the halfway point is Birch Run shelter.
    16.3 miles in is the Toms Run shelter

more info at: www.cnyhiking.com/ATinPA-CaledoniaStatePark

Thank you for the quick response PAHiker - do I have to reserve them or pay any fees?

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

That stretch is really enjoyable and easy. You get to walk through a pine forest where the trail is cushiony from all the pine needles. Yes, you can do it in 1.5 days. I would probably walk 10 miles to Birch run and stay there, then the next day walk to Pine Grove Furnace. Be sure to stop in the general store once there and get the hiker burger, one of the best burgers on the entire trail.
    John GoodMan

Quote Originally Posted by lwhikerchris View Post
    That stretch is really enjoyable and easy. You get to walk through a pine forest where the trail is cushiony from all the pine needles. Yes, you can do it in 1.5 days. I would probably walk 10 miles to Birch run and stay there, then the next day walk to Pine Grove Furnace. Be sure to stop in the general store once there and get the hiker burger, one of the best burgers on the entire trail.
    Thank you!

Do you have to use the "shelters" or are we allowed to camp along the trail and of course LNT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelters are free. There aren't any caretakers there so you are on your own. But this time of year hikers are starting to come through so you will likely have company. You can tent around the shelters you choose and there are bear hangers for your food at night.
    John GoodMan

There are several campsites along that walk where you could easily set up tents, but you might not have access to water. Shelters are almost always next to water sources.
    John GoodMan

Quote Originally Posted by PAHiker View Post
    About 20 miles from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove Furnace.

2.7 miles in is Quarry Gap shelter
    10.0 miles in at the halfway point is Birch Run shelter.
    16.3 miles in is the Toms Run shelter

more info at: www.cnyhiking.com/ATinPA-CaledoniaStatePark
    That was funny I was confused because Rt. 30 and 233 intersect at Caledonia so I couldn't figure out how that was considered a section... but I looked at "google maps" and I see what that means now - THANKS again!

Birch Run was a nice stop when I went through there. Nice stream, several tent spots, shelter, privy, and bear hanging pole. Room for hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    Birch Run was a nice stop when I went through there. Nice stream, several tent spots, shelter, privy, and bear hanging pole. Room for hammocks.
    That sounds great we have hammocks and a small tent

Journal Entries
    Images

Birch Run also used to have handmade furniture - benches and tables - near the creek. With your back to the front of the shelter, the furniture is by the creek about a 2 minute walk, walk away from the shelter towards the creek. Look for it. It is beautiful. I was last there in 2014.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    Birch Run also used to have handmade furniture - benches and tables - near the creek. With your back to the front of the shelter, the furniture is by the creek about a 2 minute walk, walk away from the shelter towards the creek. Look for it. It is beautiful. I was last there in 2014.
    Nice that sound like a good spot for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    is that 2 min along the trail? north or south? I think I missed that aspect. As I recall (2015) that shelter is like 50 ft on one side of the trail and the creek is 50 -100 on the other side of the trail. There was a seating and campfire area on both sides of the trail, but it was not 2 min walk to the creek.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here are 3 photos of the furniture. It is not directly on the trail. That shelter has lots of tent areas. I don't know the direction but likely is west or east. Walk with back to shelter and towards creek. AT trail will be continue to right at a diagonal. This was in mid 2014. I checked my shelter photo against the ones on the Internet and am positive it was at this shelter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Nice pictures NJDreamer

very cool pictures. I missed that.

To the OP there are a lot of rhododendron in that section. Sometimes you are in a tunnel of the. I expect this is beautiful when they are blooming. I went through in November so that was all that was green.

IMG_20151120_094247_200.jpgIMG_20151120_094300_458.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    very cool pictures. I missed that.

To the OP there are a lot of rhododendron in that section. Sometimes you are in a tunnel of the. I expect this is beautiful when they are blooming. I went through in November so that was all that was green.
    I would imagine that there is a lot of Mountain Laurel along the way too - I am looking more and more forward to this trip with all of this great insight - thank you!

Images

I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned the fairly horrendous climb up to the ridge from Caladonia State Park. Very steep and rocky. For first-time hikers, the first mile will be a killer. Nice and easy once you get up there, but you have to get up to the ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I haven't seen where anyone has mentioned the fairly horrendous climb up to the ridge from Caladonia State Park. Very steep and rocky. For first-time hikers, the first mile will be a killer. Nice and easy once you get up there, but you have to get up to the ridge.
    LOL everyone was probably trying not to scare us away

I have done that section a couple times and never felt that it was all that bad of a climb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++