WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I wonder how many shuttle drivers also do uber driving during the off season. I would support shuttle drivers first, but will keep the uber app on phone for situations where I don't know know local shuttles or if they are unavailable. I believe there is room for both, and I supply each.

Is it expected or usual to tip your uber or shuttle diver? If so how much?. I usually section hike, drive myself and hitch, but I hike with a dog on occasion. I assume I should always clarify beforehand that I have the dog. I have seldom had problems hitchhiking, but I fear I may be on borrowed time where that is concerned.

Thanks for feedback.

Take heed of the suggestion above to take MARTA to the northernmost terminal and have someone pick you up there. That's great advice. Then, the time of day you arrive is not so dependent on the Atlanta traffic, which was a disaster before that overpass burned.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    DW, What is the traffic situation on 285. If it is not crowded, it may add more miles. It appears that a shuttle driver could gain access to the airport from 285. Not starting anything just curious.
    Going to be S L OOO W during rush hr. I'm not a shuttler though. Regardless, it's more financially expensive getting picked up at the AP compared to MARTA North Springs from a shuttler originally departing from the AT southern terminus vicinity. Entering the perimeter is particularly congested during rush hr but traffic is not just a problem within the perimeter anymore as urban sprawl pushes outward with the vast majority of spoiled Americans tethered to vehicles wanting to be solo drivers(WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CAR POOLING?). Coming from the north a shuttle driver is having to end into and drive through the city TWICE. This is where Uber may be less financially expensive as one MIGHT be able to catch a Uber ride from someone leaving Atlanta and heading north of AF SP not having to return to Atlanta.

The topic of affordability of getting to AF SP or Springer Mt has been covered in much detail with the options well covered. ChaseBrooklyn is filling in some details about a new option - Uber. I respectfully disagree though that the Uber will be always financially cheaper and always necessarily more convenient getting to AF SP or Springer Mt. I'm also of the opinion of others that taking Uber to get around on the AT to MANY TH's using Uber is always going to be feasible or reasonable. Uber is an option though.

Default Delusional

Quote Originally Posted by Chasebrooklyn View Post
    I feel like this deserves it's own thread. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the fact that many Shuttle Services are over priced.

I live in NYC. I'm NOBO starting May 1st. My original plan was to fly to Atlanta and then take a shuttle to Amicalola Falls, but when I found out what Shuttle Services are charging, I changed my mind.

While researching the best way to get to Amicalola Falls from Atlanta, I was shocked by how much AT shuttles costs. $115-125 is what I've been quoted so far. That's crazy talk.

Uber X is quoting anywhere form $60-80. That's like half of a shuttle, depending up on what time you leave. Plus, you can split an Uber with a fellow hiker, so that drops the price even more.

A one way flight on SW airlines from NYC to Atlanta is $75-$100.

Driving one way from NYC to Amicalola will cost me approximately $75 in gas money, give or take $10 (35mpg). So roundtrip is basically $150.

I don't see how Shuttle operators can charge so much. I think it's because people are not aware of other, more affordable options.

Hope this helps.
    Sad that would actually think this way . The abuse that a car takes going up and down the mtn rds and the time it takes to do the task of getting a hiker to these places is expensive . The hiker community is awesome . From replacing tires , transmissions , shocks , bushings , engines , oil changes etc a hundred and twenty bucks is not a whole lot . Also , the uner driver does not know where the springs are and water holes , shelters all the gaps . Learn about something before you speak . Obviously you have no idea what you are saying .

One more thing i would like to throw out there is ... keep it in the community .... hikers are a family out here . The a.t. Runs through small towns that are inviting hikers in ... do not ruin thst with your greedy attitude .

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I'm not sure thrift and greed are synonymous.....
    Be Prepared

In the course of the 60 odd posts here, has anyone bothered to find an Uber driver willing to drive from Atlanta airport to Springer Mountain and get a firm quote for the trip?
    Anything else is pure speculation based on an algorithm (wild guess) running an app.
    Meanwhile a few minutes searching the Internet would have turned up the public transportation route from the airport to north Georgia. From there a local shuttle to the trail isn't overpriced.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

As a consumer it is always good to know your options and to choose the one that works best for you.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    As a consumer it is always good to know your options and to choose the one that works best for you.
    True. Facts always help. In the OP facts are either absent or incomplete.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Further down south View Post
    Sad that would actually think this way . The abuse that a car takes going up and down the mtn rds and the time it takes to do the task of getting a hiker to these places is expensive . The hiker community is awesome . From replacing tires , transmissions , shocks , bushings , engines , oil changes etc a hundred and twenty bucks is not a whole lot . Also , the uner driver does not know where the springs are and water holes , shelters all the gaps . Learn about something before you speak . Obviously you have no idea what you are saying .
    Which is exactly how the small communities kept WalMart at bay. Oh, wait!

I've used shuttles and Uber. Like them both in the right time and place.

You can go to the AT website for a list of shuttle and similar services and Ubet let's you check rates in advance.

Glad of both.

I wonder what happens when the uber app loses the internet connection a few miles from USFS 42?

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the GOLD MINE of information that is usually received from a shuttle driver. I remember Ron Brown telling us about water sources in Georgia, resupply areas, general hiking information, etc. My 2 hour shuttle was not just a ride, it had a lot of education!
    To me, this is the most important point. We have used two shuttles, Richard Anderson and Jeff Moon. Both gave us lots of insight and wisdom regarding trails and backpacking. One shuttle, who will remain unnamed, was a no show due to family issues, but I realize sometimes things happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I wonder what happens when the uber app loses the internet connection a few miles from USFS 42?
    I rode up there in a shuttle van, and it seemed like something of a maze to ride up to Springer that way. Getting to or from a main road crossing or to a well-known place like Amicalola Falls by Uber would probably be fine.

On the skeptical side, many drivers, including Uber, have trouble finding our house on a regular paved street about 15 miles from the White House.

When I went I posted a message on ATML looking for a shuttle and had half a dozen people offer to pick me up at the bus station in Atlanta and drive me to the trail head for $20. Perhaps there are more people wanting a ride or less competition these days.

If you are driving around a large metro area (NYC, ATL, San Fran) you will do ok as an Uber driver especially if you don't mind working by driving YOUR OWN car 50+ hours a week! Go to smaller towns and you'll barely make any money after all your expenses are taken out (20% off the top to Uber, you pay your own gas, your own maintenance, taxes are not taken out upfront, Your car depreciates faster).

I drive for Uber in the Boston area and I would never drive out of the city very far. The reason Uber is cheaper (usually half than a shuttle) is because in the city I don't deadhead. Meaning I don't have to drive back to my territory with no one in it after dropping someone off. Also just because you can put it in the Uber app doesn't mean a driver will accept it.

When i shuttle on the other hand, I have to drive hundreds of miles back home with no one. Uber in Boston is charging around $1.29 a mile. Most shuttles I see charge around $1 a mile round trip (because of the deadheading). Anyway, good luck I'm sure you may get some newbie Uber driver to take you but anyone with experience will calculate that ride as a lose for them.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the GOLD MINE of information that is usually received from a shuttle driver.
    ================================================== ====================
    Like Virginia's confusing system of numbering secondary roads. They're numbered in the 600s and 700s, and they repeat themselves in every county. So there's a Route 601 in every Virginia county. Even most native Virginians don't know this. And hikers who encounter a 601 in one area, and another one in a following county, they're either going to think it's the same road or else be very confused.

Has anyone successfully used Uber from ATL to AFSP? How did it work out?

Default Uber Prices to AT Trailheads Are Significantly Cheaper than Most Shuttle Services!!!!

I guess I am ignorant but what does AFSP stand for?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++