WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    This is not exactly what Uber is designed for. Would it be right to hop into an Uber in NYC and expect him/her to drive you to ATL?

People make long haul trips with Uber all the time. Personally, I wouldn't as there are cheaper options.

In fact, there was recently an article that the longest Uber ride ever was from Virginia to NYC. It was 400 miles, it cost $294.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Sod Buster

Yeah, great analogy.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Sodbuster is a type/brand of knife that is very cheap, yet very good and durable.

It gets the job done just as well and lasts just as long as competing knife models, but at a fraction of the price.

Good point, Rocketsocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    So if your Uber driver goes off the road, his/her insurance company finds out he/she was using the "privately owned vehicle" for a "commercial service", you think your medical bills are going to be paid? Even if the accident wasn't their fault?

You think your Uber driver is going to have the financial resources to pay your lawsuit?

I'll stick with "overpriced" commercial shuttles that I KNOW have the insurance to cover me.
    And to answer your questions...

Yes, Uber has the financial resources to pay my lawsuit, as they will be the one's responsible, not the driver. Their insurance policy can be easily found online.

How do "YOU KNOW" that your shuttle driver has the insurance to cover you? Documents can be easily altered. Do you personally verify with their insurer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasebrooklyn View Post
    Why would anyone pay double for an equal, or in some cases lesser, service/product being offered by another vendor?

Would you pay double for a pair of boots just because a local outfitter is selling them, as opposed to REI or online?

Is the Uber driver somehow less deserving, less worthy of my business?

What makes shuttle drivers an exception to sound personal finance?
    I often pay more for goods that I know are sustainable and getting someone a living wage. Or if they have other advantages
    If some retailer is just selling standard goods like osprey bags, then no I won't pay more, unless they are adding something to it.... such as convenience (I need it right away on the trail, etc)

the uber drivers are not less worthy at all. But you are also supporting a company and their business model by making your choices. I am not saying uber is a bad choice, but simply that there is more to it and just the driver.

Yeah, great analogy.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Sodbuster is a type/brand of knife that is very cheap, yet very good and durable.

It gets the job done just as well and lasts just as long as competing knife models, but at a fraction of the price.

Good point, Rocketsocks!
    Glad someone explained that.

Images

This is a great option I hadn't even thought of. Thanks for bringing it up! It will really help for hikes out west that I'm not to familar about the area and shuttle drivers. There isn't a Ron or Tom everywhere you go.
    I used to give hikers rides all the time. But once reading about liability issues on here, I don't do that anymore. (Except for a few friends). With uber you atleast know you're covered Incase of an accident Which you can't say about most AT shuttle drivers flying under the radar. .. I wonder if uber will haul kayaks? .. Kayak River shuttlerrs are often way under insured too.

I got burned by a shuttle driver in a big way last week, so these off book shuttle drivers will no longer be an option for me in the future.

I found a company, a legit company, which caters towards people with vacation homes in the north Georgia mountain area. Granted it was more expensive, but they pick you up in a nice comfy brand new car. To top it off, he took me from Hiawassee GA to Charlotte NC. Worth every last penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post

the uber drivers are not less worthy at all. But you are also supporting a company and their business model by making your choices. I am not saying uber is a bad choice, but simply that there is more to it and just the driver.
    As a NYer, I wholeheartedly support Uber and Lyft's business model. Before they existed, the only options were yellow cabs. They were often extremely rude, aggressive, filthy, and would refuse to take one to Brooklyn, Bronx or anywhere they deemed inconvenient.

Drivers would smoke in the car while a passenger was present, or talk on the phone. There was little to no accountability either.

Uber and Left changed all that. No longer could a driver refuse you service because of who you are or where you were going. They must drive safely. The have background checks. They can't smoke or talk on the phone either. Also, they must keep their vehicles in clean orderly manner.

It's safer, more convenient, and has better insurance than virtually all taxi services.

If not, you can easily give them a detailed negative review or report them directly to Uber Customer Service. I know of several Uber drivers who lost their Uber license due to unclean cars, talking on the phone, being disrespectful, etc... So there is finally accountability.

Not to mention all the jobs it created, while simultaneously breaking the NY TLC monopoly on taxis.

Now getting a car is significantly cheaper than even 10 years ago. Which other service industry can you think of where the prices have decreased over time?

Some of these concerns about drivers of Uber cars may be going by the wayside as the bugs are worked out as Uber further launches their driverless Uber fleet. It's not 100% though. Soon we'll have driverless semis, etc.

Not to mention all the jobs it(Uber) created, while simultaneously breaking the NY TLC monopoly on taxis.

Hmm? It seems Uber took away lots of jobs too. And if Uber continues to launch it's driverless fleet it's fair to say perhaps automation will reduce the number of human jobs?

OK, you're happy about Uber ChaseBrooklyn getting you to SOME THs MAYBE at a reduced cost compared to some other options but you're starting to seem eerily like you have a fiduciary investment in Uber as you conveniently ignore less costlier options than Uber?

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the GOLD MINE of information that is usually received from a shuttle driver. I remember Ron Brown telling us about water sources in Georgia, resupply areas, general hiking information, etc. My 2 hour shuttle was not just a ride, it had a lot of education!

Good luck getting Uber in middle of trail in middle of nowhere. I love uber for my urban adventures but make sure to support the awesome shuttle drivers as much as I can when I am dealing with hiking.

Yeah, great analogy.

Good point, Rocketsocks!
    Cool, I was just tryin' to throw a cheap shot!

Journal Entries
    Images

Uber and Left changed all that. No longer could a driver refuse you service because of who you are or where you were going.
    In my experience New Yorkers are pretty smart. And people from Georgia are too.

I cannot imagine a NY Uber driver picking up someone at LaGuradia and driving them 80 miles to the middle of nowhere for just $80.

Traffic and tolls might be better out of the Atlanta airport, but even so even if you factor that in, are Uber drivers in Georgia really going to jump on that run?

Are they really obligate too?

Or or would you find yourself at the airport looking at a bunch of icons on your phone, and never get a car to the curb?

Genuine question.

-

after expenses uber is paying sub- minimum wage in many markets

as previously said, many uber drivers are obviously math impaired

I understand the desire to find the cheapest way to get shuttles. But I will greatly miss the great conversations I have with hikers about the trail and the trail community that enriches my life by losing shuttles to uber.

Uber is so cheap for the simple reason that they totally screw their drivers. I wish they'd just dissappear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

OK, you're happy about Uber ChaseBrooklyn getting you to SOME THs MAYBE at a reduced cost compared to some other options but you're starting to seem eerily like you have a fiduciary investment in Uber as you conveniently ignore less costlier options than Uber?
    I wish!

If that were the case I wouldn't be sweating these shuttle services rates... I'd be taking limo to the trailhead

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Uber is so cheap for the simple reason that they totally screw their drivers. I wish they'd just dissappear!
    I speak with Uber/Lyft driver's about that all the time and that's not what they tell me. They make a decent living, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

The one complaint I hear most often though is that competition has increased because so many people have jumped on and become Uber drivers that now they're getting less fares.

However, most if not all of them also operate as Lyft drivers too, and vice versa. From what I've been told, the rates are similar, but Lyft is slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    I understand the desire to find the cheapest way to get shuttles. But I will greatly miss the great conversations I have with hikers about the trail and the trail community that enriches my life by losing shuttles to uber.
    Well put... can't put a price on that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++