WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In my experience New Yorkers are pretty smart. And people from Georgia are too.

I cannot imagine a NY Uber driver picking up someone at LaGuradia and driving them 80 miles to the middle of nowhere for just $80.

Traffic and tolls might be better out of the Atlanta airport, but even so even if you factor that in, are Uber drivers in Georgia really going to jump on that run?

Are they really obligate too?

Or or would you find yourself at the airport looking at a bunch of icons on your phone, and never get a car to the curb?

Genuine question.
    Yes and no... if I understand correctly, Uber drivers are not informed of the location of where you're going until they arrive at the pick up destination. I've had to make a few long haul trips before (like 60-90minutes) for work and I never had to wait any longer than others. But I think there are some options for them to refuse if it's too long.

But I know for a fact that there are places in the southwest from airports to cities where Uber/Lyft drivers routinely do 50-60 mile trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It seems Uber took away lots of jobs too. And if Uber continues to launch it's driverless fleet it's fair to say perhaps automation will reduce the number of human jobs?

OK, you're happy about Uber ChaseBrooklyn getting you to SOME THs MAYBE at a reduced cost compared to some other options but you're starting to seem eerily like you have a fiduciary investment in Uber as you conveniently ignore less costlier options than Uber?
    What jobs did Uber/Lyft take? Please clarify.

Yeah, I know that there are even cheaper options, like you mentioned Chinatown bus. But I have to factor in my own personal time-comfort-convenience-price matrix.

Fly to Atlanta ($75) and then take an Uber ($75) to AF: 5-6 hours at approx $150,

Chinatown Bus to Atlanta ($39) and then Uber to AF ($75): 18 hours, Total cost approx $110.

Either way, if I use the shuttle services it's more expensive.

Just keep in mind the current logjam in city of Atlanta traffic.

The recent I-85 bridge fire & collapse in downtown Atlanta has created a maze of detours and major slowdown in Atlanta traffic. If you are flying into Atlanta and using a shuttle or Uber to take you to Amicalola Falls SP, the driver will have to contend with this.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/things...kPJx6J0TuaTHL/

Transportation authorities have offered Atlanta drivers and commuters an updated list of road closures, detours and alternative routes, the AJC previously reported. Here are some options:

• I-85 northbound traffic is being diverted to Buford Spring connector for local travel only;
    • I-75/I-85 northbound traffic is being diverted to I-75NB. 17th Street is last available northbound exit prior to Brookwood split; (Read: Northbound? How to bypass the bridge collapse and return to I-85)
    • I-75SB ramp to I-85NB ramp is closed;
    • SR 400SB to I-85SB is closed. Traffic diverted to I-85NB. Sidney Marcus Blvd is last available exit;
    • I-85 SB is closed. Traffic diverted to SR 400NB. Lenox/Cheshire Bridge is last available exit;
    • Buford Spring connector southbound is open from Piedmont Road;
    • Buford Spring connector northbound is now open from Spring/West Peachtree and Peachtree S

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Shuttle driver and hiker here.. When I hike I make very few decisions based solely on price.

I'm not going to tell you while I'm sitting in my recliner that I'd take a cheaper uber over paying more for a shuttle. Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't - it depends on the circumstances.

It's nice to have options. I paid over $500 for a shuttle once (Long Trail) and I'm taking Uber from Littleton to the CT trailhead in July.

One thing about shuttles is that it's really-really rare to pay for a shuttle and ride in a vehicle that has proper insurance so if you are in involved in an accident and get hurt (unlikely) you're going to have to sue and probably get nothing. You don't have that worry with Uber.

BIG NOTE: All of our cars have commercial liability insurance that covers paying passengers. It's not cheap, let me tell you and when all the smoke clears and the bills are paid shuttle driving doesn't even pay a poverty level living wage. Shuttling is more about meeting interesting people and having something to do that it is about making money.
    Last edited by 10-K; 04-23-2017 at 11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasebrooklyn View Post
    What jobs did Uber/Lyft take? Please clarify.

Yeah, I know that there are even cheaper options, like you mentioned Chinatown bus. But I have to factor in my own personal time-comfort-convenience-price matrix.

Fly to Atlanta ($75) and then take an Uber ($75) to AF: 5-6 hours at approx $150,

Chinatown Bus to Atlanta ($39) and then Uber to AF ($75): 18 hours, Total cost approx $110.

Either way, if I use the shuttle services it's more expensive.
    Uber eliminates more higher quality jobs than it creates. Here's the short version despite Uber's narrative: First you have to be aware Uber's biz model ultimate goal is to have driverless cars. In cities this will have the effect of less vehicles on the road which appeals to areas with traffic problems which is just about every large U.S. city. Not bad from my perspective but bad from several biz sectors. It affects jobs in the field of professional FT drivers, car dealerships, in the hospitality industry, insurance sector, repair shops, car washes, etc. http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/19/tech...ing-cars-jobs/ However, we'll see people who lose jobs adapting to newly created jobs but transitions and unfamiliarity often make folks fell threatened.

"Either way, if I use the shuttle services it's more expensive." NOT necessarily! You keep ignoring that one can get from Atlanta AP to Gainesville GA for as little as $18 on either Amtrak or GHound. From Gainesville to AF SP it's a much less expensive shuttle cost often 1/2 the cost of a Lone Wolf for one's own convenience sake solo shuttle than Atlanta to AF SP. AGAIN, in April and early May there is a decent probability from Gvile Amtrak/Ghound Station that someone is going to or past AF SP either in a private vehicle hitching a ride from those who live in the area after exiting either of these public transportation options increasing odds of getting a ride by offering $10-20 gas money presenting yourself as an AT hike or from a shuttler who has some extra room already there shuttling other hikers.

It does not have to be overly inconvenient or expensive with or WITHOUT Uber to get to the AF SP. FWIW, IMHO I'd lose the comfort desired mentality before attempting an AT thru-hike or any other LD hike.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I cannot imagine a NY Uber driver picking up someone at LaGuradia and driving them 80 miles to the middle of nowhere for just $80.

Traffic and tolls might be better out of the Atlanta airport, but even so even if you factor that in, are Uber drivers in Georgia really going to jump on that run?

Are they really obligate too?

Or or would you find yourself at the airport looking at a bunch of icons on your phone, and never get a car to the curb?

Genuine question.
    uber drivers do not have the ability to see the destination before they accept the ride & pick up the passenger.

it's generally good practice to call the driver or talk to them before departing about a longer out of the ordinary ride as many rideshare drivers only drive for a few hours before/after work, or between jobs.

Uber eliminates more higher quality jobs than it creates. Here's the short version despite Uber's narrative: First you have to be aware Uber's biz model ultimate goal is to have driverless cars. In cities this will have the effect of less vehicles on the road which appeals to areas with traffic problems which is just about every large U.S. city. Not bad from my perspective but bad from several biz sectors. It affects jobs in the field of professional FT drivers, car dealerships, in the hospitality industry, insurance sector, repair shops, car washes, etc. http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/19/tech...ing-cars-jobs/ However, we'll see people who lose jobs adapting to newly created jobs but transitions and unfamiliarity often make folks fell threatened.
    Yeah, but that's not just Uber, there are several major companies working on autonomous cars/software: Apple, Tesla, Google, etc... not to mention the legion of smaller companies.

Further, I thin it's safe to say that just about every industry is looking towards automation: restaurants, retail, finance, banking, shipping and transportation, etc... the list is endless...

Can't blame Uber for any of this. This trend has been happening for twenty years now and it's only getting worse. Not a week goes by where I don't read a new article about automation threatening jobs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the GOLD MINE of information that is usually received from a shuttle driver. I remember Ron Brown telling us about water sources in Georgia, resupply areas, general hiking information, etc. My 2 hour shuttle was not just a ride, it had a lot of education!
    Fully agree with this ^
    Not all shuttle drivers are hikers, but many are, and most are very familiar with their territory. Being mostly weekend hikers, we have used many different shuttles, and rarely have we felt that we paid too much. We've enjoyed the conversation, learned about the area, and often been told to call them anytime if we get in trouble and need to get picked up. The shuttlers are part of the AT community. They are our brothers, sisters, and cousins in ways that an anonymous Uber, or driverless Uber could never be.

Yeah, but that's not just Uber, there are several major companies working on autonomous cars/software: Apple, Tesla, Google, etc... not to mention the legion of smaller companies.

Further, I thin it's safe to say that just about every industry is looking towards automation: restaurants, retail, finance, banking, shipping and transportation, etc... the list is endless...

Can't blame Uber for any of this. This trend has been happening for twenty years now and it's only getting worse. Not a week goes by where I don't read a new article about automation threatening jobs.

Agree but I can blame Uber for their misleading narrative of creating jobs which implies a net gain in high quality FT jobs. Lots of ways to phrase things and examine job creation up and downstream though aka unemployment and job stats.

Not down on Uber and certainly have appreciated you sharing your opinions with consideration and courtesy.

I do have vastly fond experiences with various shuttlers for the reasons Shelb and Illabelle stated.

Agree but I can blame Uber for their misleading narrative of creating jobs which implies a net gain in high quality FT jobs. Lots of ways to phrase things and examine job creation up and downstream though aka unemployment and job stats.

Not down on Uber and certainly have appreciated you sharing your opinions with consideration and courtesy.

I do have vastly fond experiences with various shuttlers for the reasons Shelb and Illabelle stated.

All true.

Whenever the topic of automation comes up, which is more and more frequently these days, I'm always reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's first novel, Player Piano. In it, a character who is the top engineer for the only company in the world, designs a robot that can do his job. Of course, he is immediately fired and becomes unemployed. He ends up becoming a ditch digger.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I would second the mention of the incalculable value of shuttle drivers' knowledge of the Trail, area, etc.

I knew a guy who took an Uber from LAX to San Diego for $250. I don't know how those drivers make money and it's not my business. I always felt pizza delivery guys got totally screwed but every Uber driver I used in LA loved it and said they made $$$.
    Be Prepared

Images

I bet they do really good on their long form taxes at the end of the year too.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I knew a guy who took an Uber from LAX to San Diego for $250. I don't know how those drivers make money and it's not my business. I always felt pizza delivery guys got totally screwed but every Uber driver I used in LA loved it and said they made $$$.
    People underestimate the cost of driving their own cars pretty consistently. I've found it pretty common for people to talk about the IRS mileage rate as if it were a huge windfall payment for driving.

It's not. I bought my last vehicle new and kept it over 180,000 miles. It still cost me roughly 40 cents a mile to drive it.

I've driven from Amicalola Falls to Atlanta airport recently, and would barely do it for $75 even if someone else was providing the car and gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    People underestimate the cost of driving their own cars pretty consistently. I've found it pretty common for people to talk about the IRS mileage rate as if it were a huge windfall payment for driving.

It's not. I bought my last vehicle new and kept it over 180,000 miles. It still cost me roughly 40 cents a mile to drive it.

I've driven from Amicalola Falls to Atlanta airport recently, and would barely do it for $75 even if someone else was providing the car and gas.

40 Cents a mile?

Did you come to that figure by including the price of the car, insurance and upkeep, and then factoring over 180,000 miles?

How kong idd it take you to put 180,000 miles on it? How many MPG does it get?

Journal Entries

40 Cents a mile?

Did you come to that figure by including the price of the car, insurance and upkeep, and then factoring over 180,000 miles?

How kong idd it take you to put 180,000 miles on it? How many MPG does it get?

IRS allowance is $0.535/mile.

Gas
    Maintenance
    Fluid changes
    Repairs
    Tires
    Insurance
    Purchase cost
    Taxes
    Finance interest
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-25-2017 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Just keep in mind the current logjam in city of Atlanta traffic.

The recent I-85 bridge fire & collapse in downtown Atlanta has created a maze of detours and major slowdown in Atlanta traffic. If you are flying into Atlanta and using a shuttle or Uber to take you to Amicalola Falls SP, the driver will have to contend with this.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/things...kPJx6J0TuaTHL/

Transportation authorities have offered Atlanta drivers and commuters an updated list of road closures, detours and alternative routes, the AJC previously reported. Here are some options:

• I-85 northbound traffic is being diverted to Buford Spring connector for local travel only;
    • I-75/I-85 northbound traffic is being diverted to I-75NB. 17th Street is last available northbound exit prior to Brookwood split; (Read: Northbound? How to bypass the bridge collapse and return to I-85)
    • I-75SB ramp to I-85NB ramp is closed;
    • SR 400SB to I-85SB is closed. Traffic diverted to I-85NB. Sidney Marcus Blvd is last available exit;
    • I-85 SB is closed. Traffic diverted to SR 400NB. Lenox/Cheshire Bridge is last available exit;
    • Buford Spring connector southbound is open from Piedmont Road;
    • Buford Spring connector northbound is now open from Spring/West Peachtree and Peachtree S

This is significantly important information related to the cost of a shuttle! Do NOT organize your traveling to the AT arriving on a flight during rush hour weekday traffic 7 a.m -9 a.m. or between 3 - 6 p.m expecting a shuttle to immediately pick you up at the AP. Hartfield Jackson AP in Atlanta is on the southern outskirts of Atlanta meaning a shuttle driver coming from the north has to go through Atlanta to pick you up. It is an additional 40 min ONE WAY traveling time WITHOUT TRAFFIC, meaning 1 hr20 mins for a shuttle driver at least, going into the city and through it for a shuttle driver coming from the southern AT terminus area compared to being picked up at the North Springs Marta Station. Shuttlers add to your cost because it costs them more to drive to the AP simple as that. MARTA RED LINE Station from the AP to the northern most MARTA train station North Springs is a clean safe $2.50 ride. The North Springs Station is a clean safe place for a shuttler to pick you up. This reduces the cost of Uber or a shuttle. Again, with some communication and organization sharing a ride with other hikers reduces the shuttle costs.

Now, with the recent highway closures this is more significant than ever.

With this OP heavily invested in the cost factors getting to AF SP this is significant.

The financially least cheap option IF flying into the AP is taking Ghound from the AP to Gainesville arranging for a shuttle from there or hitching to AF SP. I've known more than an obstinate dozen who decided to walk to AF SP from here when meeting up later on the AT relating they didn't have to walk because even though they weren't hitching some nice AT trail Angel/Supporter stopped to offer a ride.

Getting used to hitching, and shuttles, if you're not inclined to hitching, and walking to get where you want on a LD hike is what thru-hiking involves.

Expecting Uber rides at remote AT TH's RT is going to be a hit or miss, likely a miss, long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post

INDEED! Folks don't realize the expenses involved in driving their own vehicle. I didn't really fathom it either until I went 16 months without a vehicle on the mainland. I easily funded my CDT thru-hike of nearly 7 months and 3600 trail miles and two other 300 mile and 800 thru-hikes ay taking the money I would have spent on that many months own vehicle bills and funding these other experiences.

Totally for anybody finding a cheaper way to do things, so if that happens to be Uber, great!

Here's why I love shuttles and will continue to utilize them as I section the AT.

Yep...
    Shuttles drivers are in the hiker scene, and can give you great nuggets of info....such as other drivers to reach out to, where hitching may be the best option and the best place in town to stand, a tour of the town and best places to eat or resupply. And I had a driver even book a hotel room for me in town in anticipation of me coming off the trail due to weather, which I did. Rooms were booked up and so were drivers that day, and he managed to get my group both. Just stuff like that, those guys and gals sincerely want you to have a great hike, and will often go out of their way to make that happen for you.

Journal Entries

DW, What is the traffic situation on 285. If it is not crowded, it may add more miles. It appears that a shuttle driver could gain access to the airport from 285. Not starting anything just curious.
    Blackheart

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++