WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    I ended up ordering from Dutch. He was the cheapest I could find that wasn't sold in bulk. He had lots of other stuff. He also sold shrimp and sausage which doesn't seem very common. He said that 2 ounces equals about a cup when rehydrated. I hope it rehydrates into meat and not pasty meat sludge. Here's what I went with...

4 ounces of chicken
    4 ounces of ground beef
    4 ounces of diced beef
    2 ounces of bacon
    2 ounces of cheddar cheese
    I hope that we get a review. You're brave. I would have ordered 1 sample for testing first.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I hope that we get a review. You're brave. I would have ordered 1 sample for testing first.
    Wayne
    I had considered this but didn't for a couple of reasons. I think you would need to sample each type of meat to know if it turned out decent because each is a different fat content/consistency. Ground beef might turn to goo. Diced beef might be fine. Also Dutch has a pretty solid reputation so I'm hoping he's selling good stuff. All the hardware I have ordered from him has been top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    I had considered this but didn't for a couple of reasons. I think you would need to sample each type of meat to know if it turned out decent because each is a different fat content/consistency. Ground beef might turn to goo. Diced beef might be fine. Also Dutch has a pretty solid reputation so I'm hoping he's selling good stuff. All the hardware I have ordered from him has been top notch.
    That is very good news. I've been looking at his veggie selection.
    Thanks!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Whiteblaze member PennyPincher has a freeze drier - check out some of his (her?) threads for his experiences with it, including Q&A about costs, operations, supplies, etc.

As for getting freeze-dried meat in bulk and repackaging, seems to me that it would last as long as home-dried meals, after all, it's had much more of it's moisture removed. In it's original package, it lasts practically forever; once repackaged, I sure wouldn't worry about it for a week-long hike. Disclosure: I'm an accountant, not a biologist!

MEAT.jpgHere it is!

I was going to separate the chicken into 1 ounce packages and vacuum seal but I am afraid it will turn to dust when I put the squeeze on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++