WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rtfi View Post
    I guess I am remembering the ones with ropes. I don't have any of my own pictures here at work, but this is one in the 100 mile wilderness similar to what I remember:

https://static.rootsrated.com/image/...zpelevj4kp.jpg

I remember the ford of the Piscataquis being a rope even more filmsy than the one in this picture.
    That is the Long Pond Stream crossing. That rope is secure, but I have also not felt the need to trust it with my life.

On one trip through this section (in 2015), it was calf-deep one day and mid-thigh (I am 5'6") the next day due to very heavy rain that occurred late afternoon until early morning. That was a pretty awesome presentation of just what a difference a day can make. It was also a good wake-up call to never take a stream for granted no matter what time of year.

I can only remember a couple ropes. We didn't have to use them. And they didn't look as sturdy as the above rope, either.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I can only remember a couple ropes. We didn't have to use them. And they didn't look as sturdy as the above rope, either.
    And crossing with his hipbelt and chest strap still done up...ugh

Images

Some pics from northern Maine on my daughter's '04 thru-hike. I don't know which or where, but maybe someone else can say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-26-2017 at 09:53.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The last one is just after the Hermitage, I believe, but so could the first pic. I can say without any doubt that the water in all of them is higher than anyrhing we encountered due to the drought. But, if you look at the banks, you can see how high the water can potentially get.

I am barely 5'4''. I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness solo northbound several years ago in August. There was one crossing where there was a rope across the stream, which made me feel comfortable. Without the rope, it would have still been passable. At crossings that are not clear rock-hoppers, I always change into crocs. You may have to look around at crossings before you plunge in to figure out how you want to do it. Avoid deep pools, etc. I do unbuckle my waist and chest belts so that if I should go down, I can slip out of the pack. (That's never happened). As others said, you can wait either for high water to recede later in the day or for another hiker to come by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++