Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keepin' cute

I had no idea you could dye eyelashes at home! I am intrigued.

Definitely invest in a hat or buff for those long periods where showers aren't happening.
    Tight braids or buns work well too.
    I where studs and a braclette.
    Spend a little extra on hiking clothes that make you feel good.
    A travel size eyeliner is nice too for town days.
    Always myself and alot of others on the trail carried a "town dress" came in handy alot

Haha, this is a nice topic. If a girl still like to keep cute while she's hiking on the trails, she probably doesn't hike at all. She just hits the trails for selfie or show-off purposes. BTW, if we run a personal blog, it's good to make up a little bit to post these pictures as a trip report. I'm not a kind of a flourish girl, I just want to discover the nature and discover myself when backpacking outside. So keepin' cute makes no sense for me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Anderson View Post
    Haha, this is a nice topic. If a girl still like to keep cute while she's hiking on the trails, she probably doesn't hike at all....
    Not a female but this popped up in 'Todays Posts', so I happened on it. I would beware of generalizations, I saw plenty of badass PCT hiker ladies who were wearing jewelry. Also, why is the idea of 'keeping cute' so humorous that you laugh out loud?

you can also hike in your town dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Human Being.

As a man I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raqstar View Post
    Well, I'm a new member, over 50, and a member of the future AT class of 2018. I confess that I like to keep cute whether backpacking, camping, motorcycling, whatever it happens to be. I'm leaving my contacts behind when I do the AT and while I know there is nothing wrong with glasses, the relentless teasing I got over mine while I was growing up is coming back to haunt me and I'm having to come to terms with that. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to be a cute middle aged hiker in thick glasses or just say ***** it for the first time in my life and leave the eye liner and lip gloss behind...

Kathy
    I'm leaving my contacts behind too and my main concern is they are not the transitioning lenses, so I won't have sunshades. I prefer the comfort and look of contacts, but oh well. I'm almost 60, so I figure whose going to really care, right? But I am going to bring the tinted lip balm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Town Drss

Quote Originally Posted by KasseyB View Post
    Definitely invest in a hat or buff for those long periods where showers aren't happening.
    Tight braids or buns work well too.
    I where studs and a braclette.
    Spend a little extra on hiking clothes that make you feel good.
    A travel size eyeliner is nice too for town days.
    Always myself and alot of others on the trail carried a "town dress" came in handy alot
    I LOVE the idea of a town dress. That would be a big mental boost.

Hi, Ladies.
    Great topic! For me, one small thing goes a long way. I like to get a nice pedicure (with some bold color like crimson or green) before any long trek. The rest of me may look sweat-stained and mud-splattered, and my hair may be a tangled mess. But my toes still look pretty. That is always a private boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Entropy View Post
    Hi, Ladies.
    Great topic! For me, one small thing goes a long way. I like to get a nice pedicure (with some bold color like crimson or green) before any long trek. The rest of me may look sweat-stained and mud-splattered, and my hair may be a tangled mess. But my toes still look pretty. That is always a private boost.
    Interesting that you mention this. I’ve often wondered if painting my nails a dark color will camouflage the dirt and make me feel cleaner.

I rarely get manicures or pedicures but that would be a good excuse to indulge myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Interesting that you mention this. I’ve often wondered if painting my nails a dark color will camouflage the dirt and make me feel cleaner.

I rarely get manicures or pedicures but that would be a good excuse to indulge myself.

Indulge! I have done by toes in a Kelly Green/Dark Pine color that stands up well to the rigors of hiking -- I fill in any chips along the way with a Sharpie and no one is the wiser.

Hi. I get a pedicure and now have eyelash extensions for my upcoming section hike.

This is so nice to see this post!

I get so tired of the implication that a woman is somehow letting down the feminism movement by caring about her appearance. (yes I know, the point is that the world cares too MUCH about our appearance, noted)

Even alone, some of us just like to look nice. I take great joy in the aesthetics of something, whether it is a lovely piece of sculpture, some beautifully designed packaging on a product, a twisted tree along the trail, or by what I see in the mirror. I think it is very empowering to take pride in oneself. I think one can be a true hiker and care about these things. If I am spending a good deal of my life hiking then I want to live those days like it is a part of my life, not an exception to it. And in my life, I enjoy being well groomed. (Some days I do fail miserably, but I try)

So wear those dangley sparkly things if you like them. Tote along a mascara if it makes you feel good. And, perish the thought, bring a stick of deodorant if you like! (seriously, some days I want to make it into a keychain and clip it to my pack for all the world to see out of sheer cussedness)

And those who think it is freeing to leave those things behind. I am very glad you are happy that way too!

I used wetwipes like a maniac!! Smelling as good as possible made a huge difference for me. And earrings!

Slowly... over time all my hiking clothing has been transitioning to purple.
    It is now my signature colour and an easy identifier (the girl in purple) with hikers who don't know my trail name.

I don't wear makeup, but I get jittery when my eyebrows are a mess! I always give them a quick pluck in town.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Slowly... over time all my hiking clothing has been transitioning to purple.
    It is now my signature colour and an easy identifier (the girl in purple) with hikers who don't know my trail name.

I don't wear makeup, but I get jittery when my eyebrows are a mess! I always give them a quick pluck in town.
    I do the identifier clothes too...except mine are bright and mismatching and wild...pretty memorable. Although I think my dogs make me more memorable

I love town dresses. You can wash all underwear, while you wear it. Lurv and its light weight too!

I don't think I have ever been "cute". I gave up makeup, nail polish and jewelry many moons ago.

But one must have is tweezers to get rid of those random chin hairs that just appear overnight. (Thank goodness for laser treatments that mean shaving elsewhere is no longer necessary)
    A wet-wipes washdown and a thorough hair brushing each evening makes me feel vaguely human.

It's a real relief to be able to feel like yourself on trail and maintain some of your routine!

I do my usual makeup-- just mascara (trial size), lip balm with a little color in it, maybe eyeliner, and do my best to brush (and sometimes wash!) my hair. Clothes that are comfy and make me feel good about myself generally give me a little confidence boost for the other aspects of hiking, too. Navigation, decision-making, risk assessment. I'm not worrying about judgement and I'm not constantly uncomfortable. That can be distracting.

I would never, ever begrudge someone their wet wipes. Hygiene is important for your health. And if you're healthy, you can hike farther! <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++