Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keepin' cute

Default Keepin' cute

I want to hear from ladies who still like to feel pretty even when they're hiking. So please, no "This is hiking! No one cares how you look!" responses, this thread is not from you. For those of us who like keepin' cute, what is your way of adding a little flourish? Personally, I love hiking with a pair of flashy earrings, they keep me feeling feminine. I usually also have a sample sized mascara stashed away for town days, since without it my super blonde lashes are basically invisible.

Yooooooo this is up my alley.

1. I hike in cute clothes. My shorts and sports bra are lulu lemon, my leggings are Nike pros, my shirts are usually athleta or anything with a cute back and scoop neck.
    2. I dye my eyelashes and eyebrows so my (red) lashes look bomb in all my photos.
    3. I wear earrings (small gold studs) and a necklace
    4. I get my hair permed because it always got flat when I was hiking. It's crazy and wild and everyone loves it (I get compliments all the time; if you don't love it you can move right along. Or tell me, idc)

Now y'all know all my secrets!

I keep a blog and want to look good in my pictures. I make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GF and I talked to Cheetah last year and we commented on how beautiful her hair looked. She kinda laughed and said "Who knew that washing your hair only once a week was the secret to pretty hair?"

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    My GF and I talked to Cheetah last year and we commented on how beautiful her hair looked. She kinda laughed and said "Who knew that washing your hair only once a week was the secret to pretty hair?"
    Hi! You're in the women's hiking forum by mistake

Now I want to go get myself a perm! Who'da thunk?

Quote Originally Posted by meghanc View Post
    Now I want to go get myself a perm! Who'da thunk?
    It's the best choice I've made. My hair would get greasy a few days after I washed it, I never liked how it looked when it air dried (can't always get a hair dryer at hostels and the rain is basically a shower)... none of those problems anymore.

Find a GOOD perm person though. I've had a bad one that broke off a bunch of hair and one that didn't stick at all.

If you want to dye your eyelashes, you can get dye on amazon. I'd recommend getting it done in a salon first, so you get the process. Lasts a solid 3 weeks.

i know what you mean.
    i am straight tomboy, always have been.
    so i have found it surprising how much more motivated i am if i look cute (or at least think i'm cute, haha) while hiking long distances.
    to accomplish this, i also got a perm in my long hair. it requires almost no maintenance and dried up some of the excess oils in my hair that required me to wash my hair almost daily before. with a perm, you can literally just wash it and go. or, not wash it and still feel female and not homeless.
    also, i make it a priority to buy hiking clothes that i actually like, even if i have to spend a little more money on them. having a couple different cute shirts can go a long way. i tend to wear brighter colors on the trail whereas off the trail i am more of a black/grey/plain Jane kinda girl.
    another thing : headbands and hats are your friends. personally ,i just bought a cute/trendy looking trucker cap before my last long distance hike. they're cute, can cover up ugly hair and they make you feel tough, even when you don't

Images

Pigtails and bangs with matching mossy oak real tree camo T shirt and hat. The shirt is a Scent Away with silver in the threads so I don't stink. Cute in a redneck way, also have a camo backpack so I blend in taking nature breaks.

Mascara and blush. I also bring some LUSH solid shampoo & conditioner. The perm sounds like a good idea.

cute hand-knitted hats...fornicating deer, sparkles, skulls, or intricate patterns
    burts bees shimmer lip balm
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 04-27-2017 at 10:25.

The wildest hiking capris and t-shirt I can find in fun colors. Plus my dirty girl gaiters in eye-bursting colors. I always carry a comb too.

Sewed a flower applique on my hiking hat and wear hiking skirts whenever tick threat is at a minimum. Wool tops in bright colors help keep it sweet. Clean is beautiful, so I spend the time on personal hygiene. A camp mirror is my luxury item, and the Burt's lip shimmer just for pretty!

Well, I'm a new member, over 50, and a member of the future AT class of 2018. I confess that I like to keep cute whether backpacking, camping, motorcycling, whatever it happens to be. I'm leaving my contacts behind when I do the AT and while I know there is nothing wrong with glasses, the relentless teasing I got over mine while I was growing up is coming back to haunt me and I'm having to come to terms with that. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to be a cute middle aged hiker in thick glasses or just say ***** it for the first time in my life and leave the eye liner and lip gloss behind...

Kathy

I always bring my mascara and lipstick, without them I have absolutely NO facial color. I always wear my hair in braids, and I too, try to clean up as best as I can. I just don't feel feminine if I stink.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily care about being "cute" while adventuring, but it's amazing how much more energized and motivated I feel when I'm at least somewhat put together. I'm sure there are those who would sneer at seeing BB cream in my kit, but here's the deal, I can't go without facial sunscreen and need one that doesn't make me break out. It just so happens that my sunscreen also functions as a tinted moisturizer. Same with my lip balm, mine just happens to be tinted. I carry a tiny wide-tooth comb, teeny mirror and ties for my long hair so that I can easily pull it up into a messy bun or back into a ponytail. I choose clothing that fits me well, in colors that make me happy.

I have to admit- I looked like a beast when I hiked in 2015. I let my leg and armpit hair grow out, I chopped off my hair. I did have "town mascara." Sometimes I remembered to wear it. It was such a relief to just not worry about it. If I was younger and single, I probably would have felt differently. But I will say, all of the young people on the trail looked so beautiful and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I have to admit- I looked like a beast when I hiked in 2015. I let my leg and armpit hair grow out, I chopped off my hair. I did have "town mascara." Sometimes I remembered to wear it. It was such a relief to just not worry about it. If I was younger and single, I probably would have felt differently. But I will say, all of the young people on the trail looked so beautiful and healthy.
    For anything longer than a week I would have to pack a razor. I don't care about dirt, or small or greasy hair but excess hair is too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    For anything longer than a week I would have to pack a razor. I don't care about dirt, or small or greasy hair but excess hair is too much for me.
    I'm definitely packing a razor and will do my best to keep some of the hair in check. I don't really care about the hair on my legs, which will grow in quite thin and light, but it's the thicker hair elsewhere that I'm going to keep under control with touch ups when I'm in town for the purposes of being able to more easily monitor for ticks and to keep clean.

Images

At home, I am a night showerer. On the trail, I have always brought the luxury of a nightly cleanse, starting with a solar shower and slowly modifying to my current microfiber wash cloth (mine is from Norwex, but there is nothing particularly special about that brand vs Dollar Tree automotive section blue-and-yellows). There are different kinds of microfiber, but whatever kind it is that the Norwex wash cloths are made of can remove makeup (and those things that make your nose pores look like black dots that aren't actually black heads) with just water. A drop of Dr. B's will clean your microfiber rag and being microfiber, it dries more quickly than cotton.

So if I were to bring makeup, and I have all but substituted SPF laden BB cream for my previous face sunblock and taking tinted chapstick rather than untinted is hardly a hardship, makeup removal at the end of the day would be included in my nightly ablutions, anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Oh! I love this thread!

I saw a youtube video where the gentleman was complaining about the added weight of his girlfriend's WetWipes. I cannot imagine going without some way of cleaning up. I've used WetWipes, DudeWipes, and just a water and microfiber towel. One of those is going with me and that is all there is to it. Nightly, I strip in my tent and clean off using two or three (depends on the mud splashed etc) and go to bed feeling clean.

Tinted lip balm, DO (as a section hiker, I'll take that weight penalty), and a comb. I tend to put my hip length hair in a bun or in tow braids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++