WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default Shuttle Services In SNP?

Are there any shuttle services in SNP? Let's say one wanted to begin at Skyland, and do two days to Lewis Mtn Campground, then catch a lift back to their car at Skyland. Is there anyone that can accomodate this somewhat affordably in SNP?

Journal Entries

Theres numerous people that shuttle
    They will live at one end or the other
    so shuttling would be cheapest if you used one terminus at an end of the park

They are reasonable priced.
    Your idea might not be.

AT 2012

i apologize because this isn't exactly your question, but if you don't find a good answer in your shuttle search, you might consider hitch hiking. my only suggestion would be to try to time your hitching to a weekend day, and not too early in the morning -- look for a good traffic time. people are used to seeing and even helping hitch hikers in the SNP.
    Lazarus

I have used Sharon's Shuttle Service (703)615-5612. I would highly recommend her. She is great.

Journal Entries

Another option would be Bill Gallagher, 540-456-8078. Sharon lives near Front Royal. Bill, I think, is closer to the southern end.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Your idea might not be.
    kindly elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i apologize because this isn't exactly your question, but if you don't find a good answer in your shuttle search, you might consider hitch hiking. my only suggestion would be to try to time your hitching to a weekend day, and not too early in the morning -- look for a good traffic time. people are used to seeing and even helping hitch hikers in the SNP.
    This is what I did for the lower 60 of SNP from rockfish gap up past swift run. First lady I asked accepted.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Likely what was meant above is that the shuttle folks themselves are reasonable on their prices, but it may not seem as reasonable to you for this particular shuttle (as opposed to what one might pay elsewhere on the trail), for a couple reasons:

1. Just to drive into the park to pick you up and transport you there is a vehicle fee, so they would need to cover that to start with (I think it was $20, good for a week but would depend if they have others during that time).

2. While it's only a 20 mile (or so) section, the park has limited road access points, so it could very well be a much longer drive for someone, depending on where they are and how far (possibly out of the way) they have to go to access the park where you are.

3. Time - The park road is only a 35 MPH speed limit for the most part, so even if they can come in close to where you are, transport you and get back out it's probably an hour (and likely more) just to do that 20 miles plus access. So potentially twice as long as a similar distance trip elsewhere.

Thus, with all those things factored in, it's likely to cost more than what you'd pay elsewhere for a similar ride, but still be reasonable in terms of not trying to overcharge you.

1. Just to drive into the park to pick you up and transport you there is a vehicle fee, so they would need to cover that to start with (I think it was $20, good for a week but would depend if they have others during that time).

I was drivin into the park a total of 5-6 times and I nor a driver ever had to pay by stating we were hiking on the AT and only here to stage a car

Contact Mike Evans 540-539-0509. Good dude, on time and fair.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Whatever you decide to do, you should meet the shuttle driver at your vehicle and get shuttled to your hike start point. Then, hike back to your vehicle. It is much more predictable to rendezvous at a time and place you'll both be driving to -- than a time and place one of you is walking to. It also eliminates the stress of maintaining a schedule while hiking, and eliminates missed connections because of all the unplanned things that can happen on a trail. You might be thinking you could always call and reschedule a shuttle from the trail. Don't count on having a signal.

Call Alison from Open Arms Hostel in Luray.

++ New Posts ++