Default Mosquitos vs Tarp

I'm looking for some advice from folks who have thrued the pct or are fimiliar with the sierras/northern sections.

Last summer I thrued the AT sobo using a tarp/bivy combo. I unfortunatly ordered my splash bivy a size smaller than what I think would be comfortable and zpacks won't be producing them again till mid summer so I'm stuck with the same body bag. I actually really enjoy tarp/bivy combo and only slept in the bivy maybe 5 times on the AT two of those times being for rain and 3 for mosquitos.

My my big gripe with the splash bivy is that the mosquitos are still close enough to your face (attracted to your breath coming out of the net) that you can hear them buzzing in your ear all night... drives me nuts! I'm from Florida and don't really mind being pestered by them during the day (they seem to favor anyone but me), it's the buzzing in my ear at night that gets me.

SO, my actual question.

I will likely be hitting Kennedy meadows around June 30th. How bad are them buggys going to be this year? I know it's been very wet from all the snow melt but it's also been cold.

I'm thinking about purchasing a MLD serenity duo bug net shelter (for me and my fiancé) and sending it to Kennedy meadows, I'd like to know if those with experience (especially with tarp camping) would think it's worth the buy.

Thanks for for all the advice and snarky remarks.

-Rooster

Theoretically, with this big snow year, the mosquitoes will be worse than usual.

An enclosed net is likely to save you occasionally from ants as well.

If it were me, especially with two people, an enclosed shelter seems like a good call.

I hammock'd a lot of my 2015 pct thru and actually switched back to my tarptent moment (which i used in southern california) in Oregon because the mosquitoes were so bad I would wake up with dozens of the little buggers buzzing around the netting where my face was and biting me through the hammock. I did not treat my hammock with any chemicals so that may have been another solution. Pic is from near Mt. Theilson in Oregon.

mosquitoes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ranger2012 View Post
    Hot dog. Thanks for the input.

In Oregon, the mosquitoes will be bad until August, and even then...

I hammock'd a lot of my 2015 pct thru and actually switched back to my tarptent moment (which i used in southern california) in Oregon because the mosquitoes were so bad I would wake up with dozens of the little buggers buzzing around the netting where my face was and biting me through the hammock. I did not treat my hammock with any chemicals so that may have been another solution. Pic is from near Mt. Theilson in Oregon.

mosquitoes.jpg
    Off Topic Subject. Do you remember the mileage points where you used your hammock on the PCT?

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colter has good point.

FWIW, you might think of addressing biting flying insect pressure from a multiple angled day time and sleep time approach. Soak gear in a permethrin bath, use a herbal or other insect formula on skin, wear a Bug Bam wrist bracelet on each wrist, burn a few incense cones/sticks under a tarp CAREFULLY, wear a Insect Shield treated bandana, slap a Don't Bite Me patch on your arse(it has worked from me as PART of a multilayered approach for skeeters), consider a peppermint or tea tree Dr Bronners liquid wash or other homemade essential oil mix for deodorant and odor masking of ammonia, etc.

I'll +2 the skeeter control needed in Oregon.

https://goo.gl/photos/dbmxTBHqaxxs9oSK8

This was around Fish Lakes in Oregon August 1st. They were relentless.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the net shelter. I figure I'll pick it up at KM and maybe send back the bivy, I'll still be at right around 1 pound for my shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Off Topic Subject. Do you remember the mileage points where you used your hammock on the PCT?

TF

I hommock'd from I-80 to Cascade Locks.

I hommock'd from I-80 to Cascade Locks.
    Thanks

I am reading threads about hammocks, as I am looking for a camping hammock, if you're looking for something against mosquitos, maybe this one? https://www.hammockdream.com/shop/camping-hammocks/ but I m not en expert.

There are a lot of options for camping hammocks. I have several. I like the Warbonnet Blackbird best, myself.

If you use Permethrin, or DEET, you are leaving a devastating trail of toxins along the trail that severely harm wildlife. Other hikers end up drinking your DEET and Permethrin. Using such toxic chemicals is the exact opposite of leave no trace. If you can't deal with bugs stay out of the woods. It's not like malaria, or even Lyme, is a problem along the PCT.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    If you use Permethrin, or DEET, you are leaving a devastating trail of toxins along the trail that severely harm wildlife. Other hikers end up drinking your DEET and Permethrin. Using such toxic chemicals is the exact opposite of leave no trace. If you can't deal with bugs stay out of the woods. It's not like malaria, or even Lyme, is a problem along the PCT.
    Hmm This is what the PCTA says:

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...ics/first-aid/
    Are ticks and Lyme disease a problem on the PCT?

While not extremely common, due to the potential serious nature of tick-borne diseases (including Lyme), we recommend caution. Ticks that carry various diseases are present on the trail corridor. Most people travel the entire trail without getting a tick, however cases of Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and other tick-borne diseases have been reported to the PCTA. Travelers should take precautions to stop ticks, including using Permethrin, DEET and doing tick checks. Remove any attached ticks properly by pulling them straight out, preferably using tweezers. Most reports of ticks on the PCT have come from Southern California. More information about ticks and tick-borne diseases can be found on the California Department of Public Health website.
    On top of that there are a wide variety of mosquito born diseases one has to be careful to try and avoid. Many of these are also prevalent throughout the West just like ticks. Trying to protect yourself from catching these diseases is just smart and common sense. The medical costs of dealing with any of them is not something most hikers can afford. You might be also be surprised to find out that all of these bugs actually reside everywhere and not just in the woods as you seem to think (s).
    Considering the scale of human destruction of the globe getting all outraged about folks using bug repellent on their clothing or skin seems a bit overboard. If you really want to protect the environment you would have a lot more effect getting the Navy to shut down its facilities in your home town.

++ New Posts ++