WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    To be brutally honest, I think a SOBO set on summiting on one of two dates July who has not already secured reservations for one or two nights at KSCC is an idiot.
    Or just woefully uninformed.
    And why Abol Bridge Campground? Stay at Abol Pines instead.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by lweidner82 View Post
    Also, I'm correct in understanding that even discrete hammock camping is a huge no-no and not worth the risk / damage to the reputation of other AT hikers?
    You are correct, stealth camping in Baxter will negatively impact the already fragile relationship between Thrus and Baxter.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of these comments. I've decided to go ahead and book a lean-to at KSCG for the night after Katahdin; I'll get a shuttle in the early morning that day so I won't need one for the night before.

I've also decided to aim for a probably more realistic average of ~15 miles until I get through the Whites, and then I'll try to pick up the pace from there. I only have a little over 120 days to work with, which is why I felt pressure to start off with a bang. That being said, burning out in Maine would cut my hike much shorter than running out of time down south would.

I only just found out that I would be able to make an attempt at a Thru-hike this year work-wise, which is why I'm behind on planning. There's a lot I don't know, which is why I'm so thankful for a helpful community of people like this to help talk me out of my bad ideas

-LW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there white blaze folks!

I’m preparing to summit Katahdin on either July 23rd or 24th and go SOBO from there. I know that the general consensus is that it is unwise to try and do any more than the KSC – Katahdin - KSC loop on day 1, due to the fact the next available stopping point is Abol Bridge, making for a 20 mile day right off the bat.

While I know most on this board will probably advise against it, my questions are 1) Do you think it's possible? 2) Is the summit hike really that difficult, even with just the rental Day packs?

I’ll be starting in excellent physical shape, as I'm a distance runner and regularly do consecutive 20+ mile days in New York with a much heavier base weight than I'll have for the AT. I’m hoping to average 20+ daily, so I just hate the idea of starting off with just 5.2 trail miles hiked on Day 1.

But I realize that Maine in general and in particular Katahdin will be tougher than what I'm used to, so I'm not above swallowing my pride and spending the night in KSC and making up those miles later. I may even reserve a KSC campground and make a decision day-of, depending on how long the summit hike takes (I realize that this would mean potentially paying for a campsite I won't use)

I’d love to hear any and all advice / brutal honesty. I promise that I'm not looking at the AT through rose-tinted glasses. I know that averaging 20+ is much easier said than done.

Thanks in advance!

-LW
    you're 23. go for it. the climb ain't all that bad. have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    You can submit, return then decide. Actually it make be wake up and decide, if you get up really early as opposed to sleep late. It's not like Baxter Rangers will force you to stay at the spot you reserved (my peeve about the reservation system for hiking - people don't always use them and causes people not to be able to go, both here and in the Smokies and why a better system is needed).
    If one did that (made a reservation to be sure, then decided not to stay that night after hiking up & back down), wouldn't it make sense to let the ranger there know? Not that you would get a refund for the unused site, but don't they allow people (even, say Northbound Thru Hikers if their specific site is filled) coming in to take a regular campsite if it's not already in use? Thus, if they knew you weren't going to use it they could (possibly, anyhow) allow someone else to take that spot, which would help with the issue mentioned about spots going unused.

Contrary to a prior post the park does try to fill empty unused camping slots. The problem is that if someone decides late in the day to head out of the park, its generally too late to fill them by changing the allowable quota at the turnstile at the park boundary. Anyone leaving the park by car drops off a slip at the gate and the staff does try to figure out empty slots as early as possible. One of issues raised by park staff with thru hikers is they don't have a vehicle thus the expectation is that if a spare slot exists elsewhere the rangers have to run a shuttle service to move folks around and inevitably are expected to supply this service in the AM or risk folks hitching on the park roads. I frequently book an "insurance day" at the end of trip up there in case of washout and if I leave early I let the rangers know. There isn't any incentive for me to leave early as the park has a no refund policy. I currently have a group site booked at the park labor day weekend and expect that at least a portion of it will be mostly empty the last night. Its on the other side of the mountain so not much use to a typical thru hiker.

It's a long day, but certainly doable if you're fit and nothing goes wrong. Bear in mind, the climb up Katahdin is the largest single vertical on the AT. Most hikers take a day pack, no point hauling the whole kit. If you use trekking poles make sure they're foldable/collapsible -- there are sections on Hunt Trail where you'll need both hands.

From Katahdin Stream Campground to Abol Bridge is another ten miles, but most of that is very flat.

My only question would be, why the rush?

It can certainly be done, and the flat 9 miles from KSC to Abol Bridge is like sleepwalking after going up and down Katahdin. If you're in great shape, as you indicated, it should be easy. I see that you've decided not to, but I would advise anyone else considering doing it all in a day to make sure to start early, and to not overestimate your fitness level. I as a NOBO and hiked from Abol to Katahdin and then up and down in one day. It wasn't even close to being my toughest day on the trail, mainly because I only carried a light pack up and down Katahdin, as most do. Slackpacking speeds things up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    as a NOBO and hiked from Abol to Katahdin and then up and down in one day. It wasn't even close to being my toughest day on the trail,
    Yes, nobos just about fly up and down. Southbounders don't have 2000 miles and months of hiking behind them.
    The advice that sobos book at least one night at Katahdin Stream is solid.
    Teej

I have a lean-to reserved for Saturday, July 22nd. I'll have a ride in first thing that morning to drop off my pack at the ranger station and then drop me at Abol Campground; I'll do the Abol Slide up / Hunt back down. Without rushing, I'll see what time I get to KSCG and how I feel, and may press on if I'm really feeling great, but will likely stay the night in Baxter.

I have a lean-to reserved for Saturday, July 22nd. I'll have a ride in first thing that morning to drop off my pack at the ranger station and then drop me at Abol Campground; I'll do the Abol Slide up / Hunt back down. Without rushing, I'll see what time I get to KSCG and how I feel, and may press on if I'm really feeling great, but will likely stay the night in Baxter.
    Your rez is at KSC the 22nd?
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Your rez is at KSC the 22nd?
    Correct!

I am sure you could've made it to Abol Bridge on day one but that means day two you'd be laid up at Abol Bridge longer than expected or you'd stay the whole day because you were extra tired or even a bit more sore than expected. Traversing Big K is not that difficult and can be done in five hours; more or less depending on the individual and on what trail you take up and come back down. The walk out to Abol Bridge is not difficult either. Nor is the 100 mile or the whole darn thu-hike! But the thing I noticed about Baxter and Maine in general was the sheer beauty, history and serenity found there. The call of the loons, sights of moose, wilderness lakes that are so chilly and refreshing are all something that must be experienced and time taken to experience. When it was all said and done and I look back at that SOBO thru-hike I realize that Maine is IMO the best part of the thru-hike and the next SOBO thru I complete I will be sure to loaf in Maine much more!
    Good luck OP and enjoy it. I've yet to hear from fellow thru-hikers that they hated it and wished they'd never hiked the AT!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    I am sure you could've made it to Abol Bridge on day one but that means day two you'd be laid up at Abol Bridge longer than expected or you'd stay the whole day because you were extra tired or even a bit more sore than expected. Traversing Big K is not that difficult and can be done in five hours; more or less depending on the individual and on what trail you take up and come back down. The walk out to Abol Bridge is not difficult either. Nor is the 100 mile or the whole darn thu-hike! But the thing I noticed about Baxter and Maine in general was the sheer beauty, history and serenity found there. The call of the loons, sights of moose, wilderness lakes that are so chilly and refreshing are all something that must be experienced and time taken to experience. When it was all said and done and I look back at that SOBO thru-hike I realize that Maine is IMO the best part of the thru-hike and the next SOBO thru I complete I will be sure to loaf in Maine much more!
    Good luck OP and enjoy it. I've yet to hear from fellow thru-hikers that they hated it and wished they'd never hiked the AT!
    Well said there AG! Heading north through the SOBO bubble last year I noticed the difference between the folks who were serious and worried about miles and the folks who were just soaking in the experience of being in the Maine woods. The biggest difference was the smiles! I found the happiness so contagious I planned another section for the same time this year so I could see more of those smiles
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Must be good Mark Zuckerberg just hiked there http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/2...s-millinocket/. Given the timeof the year I am surprised the black flies didnt chase him out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Must be good Mark Zuckerberg just hiked there http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/2...s-millinocket/. Given the timeof the year I am surprised the black flies didnt chase him out of the park.
    I'm surprised he made it through the HMW without drowning!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

He hiked the AT "around Katahdin" which Im assuming is Daicey Pond.

Do whatever you want within the guidelines of rules around Katahdin. But one thing I’ve seen are injuries within the first two weeks that end so many hikers hikes. Most of these injuries are preventable too, people just push themselves too hard.

AT 2012

doesn't look like anyone answered your easy question: hammock the AT ok?

absolutely! some logistical issues in the White mountains and in the Smokies, but you can work through them. otherwise, no issues at all as long as you hang from trees and not ceiling beams in shelters. and there are plenty of Whiteblaze discussions about the particulars of those two more regulated areas and hammocking.

I do agree with the advice, by the way, to take your time on the first day just to savor the experience...

good luck and good hanging!
    Lazarus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++