WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laundry

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    As I've accumulated the clothes for next year's through-hike, I've noticed that most of them are labeled "machine wash cold, delicate cycle; tumble dry low heat". But I've heard hikers claim that they'll wash on the most vigorous cycle because of the extreme dirtiness, and dry on high to cut the time.

I don't know if a delicate cycle is adequate, not having the stomach to accumulate a load of really filthy clothes if I don't have to. And I don't want to risk brand new polyester and wool clothes on a high heat experiment. (I remember old polypropylene base layers would melt at high heat.)

What's the reality? Are laundry instructions needlessly cautionary, or are through-hikers destroying their clothes in the wash?
    just cut the tags off

chuckle...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    just cut the tags off
    Already did that where possible. However, I've got good recall for information I've read, and have committed the laundering instructions to memory. Most of the polyester garments are actually tagless: the laundering instructions are printed directly on the inside of the material, so no memorization (and no surgery to save weight) is required.

I used laundry machines maybe four or five times on my thru hike. Usually I used some motel bathtub or shower to wash clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    I used laundry machines maybe four or five times on my thru hike. Usually I used some motel bathtub or shower to wash clothes.
    I'm going to try to avoid motels for the most part, in order to avoid having to drag myself out of comfort and back to hiking. I'm not sure how reliably I'll be able to summon that get-up-and-go if I've got a soft bed at hand. A hard plastic chair in a laundromat is much easier to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I'm going to try to avoid motels for the most part, in order to avoid having to drag myself out of comfort and back to hiking. I'm not sure how reliably I'll be able to summon that get-up-and-go if I've got a soft bed at hand. A hard plastic chair in a laundromat is much easier to leave.
    You'll be the last one leaving the AT lean to then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You'll be the last one leaving the AT lean to then.
    Quite possibly. I'm definitely not a morning person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++