Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Which stove

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    56
    Posts
    72

    Default Which stove

    Soon I will be hiking a section of AT. I have an obsession with stoves and now can't decide which to take. Will be hiking with another person so that affects decision.

    Optimus Svea, Primus ETA lite, Primus multifuel, MSR Reactor, alcohol and a Coleman Peak 1.

    Drives me up the wall with too many choices. Want speed to boil as coffee and rehydrating are primarily what we are doing. I am leaning to the MSR Reactor as capacity and also taking my alcohol stove to make evening tea and lunch coffee

  2. #2
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,317

    Default

    I own 3 of your stoves. I'm leaning toward the Primus MFS with a medium Primus canister for two weeks in Wyoming later this year.
    If your Coleman is a Peak 1 Apex I might take it off your hands. LOL!
    I'm also tempted to take the SVEA 123.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  3. #3

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    56
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Vargo titanium triad and a knock off tragia style.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-28-2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Svea, always and forever. Simple, fast, always works. Also style points.17 Waiting for dinner.jpg
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  6. #6
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Svea, always and forever. Simple, fast, always works. Also style points.17 Waiting for dinner.jpg
    There it is. It's time I do a boil off between old and new stoves.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  7. #7
    Registered User Old Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    2,588
    Images
    5

    Default

    Not on the list, but Pocket Rocket.

    I did liked my Peak 1 years ago, though.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-28-2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There it is. It's time I do a boil off between old and new stoves.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll do a controlled test on the Svea sometime soon. I expect it hasn't changed much in the 48 years I've used it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    56
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Only problem with pocket rocket (I do have a version if that) is the whole wind screen. I used it once doing trail magic at Wessers Bald and it took forever to make a pot of coffee for a couple of hikers.

  10. #10
    Registered User DownEaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2017
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    64
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I'm considering taking my Peak 1 multifuel on the AT next year. I can't abide the hazardous waste issue of pressurized fuel cans. The Peak 1 has good flame regulation to let me do actual cooking (pancakes!) and I can even run it on unleaded gasoline if needed. Given how important food is on a through-hike, I'm leaning toward a serious stove as my luxury item.

  11. #11
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I'm considering taking my Peak 1 multifuel on the AT next year. I can't abide the hazardous waste issue of pressurized fuel cans. The Peak 1 has good flame regulation to let me do actual cooking (pancakes!) and I can even run it on unleaded gasoline if needed. Given how important food is on a through-hike, I'm leaning toward a serious stove as my luxury item.
    Hazardous waste? Fuel cans are recyclable, once you poke a hole in them. I found an ice axe does the trick nicely, once they are empty.

  12. #12
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'll do a controlled test on the Svea sometime soon. I expect it hasn't changed much in the 48 years I've used it.
    Mine is a virtual youngster at 43 years old. I bought mine originally with the SIGG Tourist cook set. I wish I had the brass windscreen.
    Too many stoves, too few trips.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  13. #13
    Registered User DownEaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2017
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    64
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Hazardous waste? Fuel cans are recyclable, once you poke a hole in them. I found an ice axe does the trick nicely, once they are empty.
    I'm not planning to take an ice axe on the AT.

  14. #14

    Default

    Cooking (or heating water) for two, I'd take a canister stove every time.

    Solo, I'd take the Fancee Feest for 3-season.

  15. #15
    Registered User egilbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-18-2014
    Location
    Lewiston and Biddeford, Maine
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I'm not planning to take an ice axe on the AT.
    https://www.rei.com/product/813638/j...recycling-tool

  16. #16
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,402
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    Only problem with pocket rocket (I do have a version if that) is the whole wind screen. I used it once doing trail magic at Wessers Bald and it took forever to make a pot of coffee for a couple of hikers.
    Anyone considering the Pocket Rocket, I would suggest spending the extra money on the Snow Peak MaxLite.

    When deployed, it's the same size as a Pocket Rocket. But where the Pocket Rocket leaves your pot sitting on three spikes, the MaxLite has three flat arms. It seems to add to the pot's stability. The MaxLite also folds down much smaller, and even weights a tiny bit less.

    Of course wind can be a problem, so you want to try to find naturally sheltered spots to cook in, and/or {carefully} use a wind screen {to insure the canister doesn't start to heat up}. Having a wind screen on JUST the windward side of the pot does a pretty good job of cutting down the effects of the wind without putting the canister in much danger.

  17. #17
    Registered User ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-13-2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    52
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I own a reactor and it's the fastest stove there is. 2 cups of water close to freezing will boil in about 1:30 (I'm about 600 feet ASL). And it's impervious to wind. And it gets excellent fuel economy because a) it's impervious to wind and b) it's pressure regulated and runs on very low pressure - so gets every last drop of fuel out of the canister at full power. It sucks for simmering and you'll need to Jerry-rig something if you want to use a frying pan with it (contact me if you're interested) but if you need a lot of water boiled, like right now - it's the best stove out there.

  18. #18
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,402
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    In a pinch... a rock with a pointed tip can handle the situation...

    Finished up a JMT thru hike last year. I'm in a hotel in LonePine with plans to catch a bus to the airport early the next morning. Can't take the used canister with me, and don't want to toss it in dumpster until I make sure I've rendered the canister safe. So I burn off all the fuel and then look around the parking lot for a rock with a point to it. Took about a dozen whacks of slamming the side of the canister against the rock on the ground, but eventually I managed to puncture the side of the canister. Had to leave it outside of the hotel room door as I could still smell the fuel. Tossed it in an outside dumpster on my way to the bus stop the next morning.

  19. #19
    Registered User 1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-2004
    Location
    Chesapeake Va
    Age
    64
    Posts
    384
    Images
    1

    Default

    I used alcohol for years, just to slow for me. I like the canister type, Pocket rocket uses fuel to fast, I use the coleman F1 has some control and is very good on fuel. for you the MSR reactor is most likely your best bet.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    Soon I will be hiking a section of AT. I have an obsession with stoves and now can't decide which to take. Will be hiking with another person so that affects decision.

    Optimus Svea, Primus ETA lite, Primus multifuel, MSR Reactor, alcohol and a Coleman Peak 1.

    Drives me up the wall with too many choices. Want speed to boil as coffee and rehydrating are primarily what we are doing. I am leaning to the MSR Reactor as capacity and also taking my alcohol stove to make evening tea and lunch coffee
    if you are hiking with another person you could take similar fuel stoves so you could supplement/share fuel.

    I would choose which type by the how long you are going to be out - if you're going less than 10 days, I would use a canister stove. longer than that, I would look at alcohol.

    I wouldn't use a petrol stove like your SVEA or Primus unless it was winter...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •