WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Best place to stay and receive a mail drop near Unicoi Gap/Helen GA

I am taking a zero day in Helen GA during my section hike next week and pick up a mail drop. Where is the best place to stay in or around Helen GA that won't cost out the butt. Having a shuttle pick me up would be a plus!

The Helen GA post office.

Helen is a Bavarian theme tourist town which caters to serious beer drinkers. If you booked a room on line for tonight, the prices average about $80. You will typically pay a higher price as a walk in at the front desk. Do a google search and see what's available. I won't speculate on what a shuttle will cost, but I suspect it would be substantial.

A much better plan is to go the other way to Hiawassee. The Budget Inn is $49.95 a night and Mull's Motel is similarly priced. The Holiday inn will be in the $100 per night range. If you can manage an other day and get to Dick Creek gap, the Top of Georgia hostel is a possibility, but they fill up quick and I would recommend spending the night at Deep gap shelter in order to get there early in the day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Call the Helendorf Inn and ask if their thru hiker rate is still in effect. If it is, it's only $44+tax which is great for the accommodations you receive.

Images

Helen is cute, and walkable. Like Gatlinburg was twenty years ago. A real piece of Americana. Hotel prices aren't cheap, but not out of line for a tourist town -- probably cheaper on weeknights this time of year. Getting a ride from Unicoi gap isn't that difficult, and we got a ride back as we were walking downtown to Betty's grocery store to try and find a ride. Someone just stopped and offered.

I wouldn't call Helen a place for "serious" beer drinkers. North Georgia is something of a craft beer desert. Plenty of overpriced "German" pubs, though. We got a good meal at Bigg Daddy's (yeah, seriously), and it was reasonably priced.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

King suites at the holiday inn in hiawassie have a Jacuzzi. Pure heaven.

Why not stay at Top of Georgia Hostel? $25/ night. Free shuttles. I think they will drop you in Helen for the day. They do mail drops and full resupply as far as I know. Then you can spend a day in Helen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Why not stay at Top of Georgia Hostel? $25/ night. Free shuttles. I think they will drop you in Helen for the day. They do mail drops and full resupply as far as I know. Then you can spend a day in Helen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Helen is 30 minutes from Hiawassee. I've never heard of TOG taking a hiker to Helen for the day for free. Heck, even as a hostel guest their shuttle policy is regimented. I'm sure they'd do it for a fee, but then you'd be paying more than a hitch into Helen and staying at a motel.

Leonidas

Hiawassee Holiday Inn has a hiker rate as well.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Helen is 30 minutes from Hiawassee. I've never heard of TOG taking a hiker to Helen for the day for free. Heck, even as a hostel guest their shuttle policy is regimented. I'm sure they'd do it for a fee, but then you'd be paying more than a hitch into Helen and staying at a motel.
    Thank you. I didn't realize that. I know TOG picks up and drops off at Unicoi. I had my friends pick me up there though and we ate in Helen before heading to their place in SC.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Thank you. I didn't realize that. I know TOG picks up and drops off at Unicoi. I had my friends pick me up there though and we ate in Helen before heading to their place in SC.
    Even if there is a fee for it, might be worth it to slack that section from Unicoi to DCreek the next day. Unless, of course, your AT beliefs prevent you from doing that sort of thing. Definitely worth a call to them to ask.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++