WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I dont understand the reservations with drinking your washwater from your cookpot. I cook oatmeal in the morning. Eat as much as I can, then pour a bit of water in and scrape, swirl swish around with my spoon. Drink it to get all those calories you just carried. Repeat. Cookpot is clean enough. 10 hours later, I'm eating supper, boiling more water in my cookpot which sterilizes it, cook more food. Thats water I've filtered, carried from the water source, heated with fuel that I've carried. Im sure as hell not going to dump all that energy expended on the ground.
    There is a difference between wash water and what you were doing. Wash water contains soap for most people. You just rinsed your pot out. A full wash and rinse for me amounts to about 5-6 fl. oz. for me. While what you are saying about boiling water makes a lot of sense, most people prefer to use the soap and rinse solution.
    Blackheart

Don't use soap to clean your pot while you are hiking. Use soap to wash your hands. Soap adds to the pollutants in an already heavily trafficked area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    She be the one! She sounded quite pleasant in the video... Not quite the same experience on sight - But like I say, she wasn't a monster lol
    That's Chloe. I had nothing but a positive experience with her a few weeks ago when myself and HooKooDooKu carried 20lbs of food up to Derrick Knob Shelter to surprise folks with hamburgers and hot dogs on a snowy day. She was friendly, knowledgeable, and yes she did take charge when needed, but was very helpful and professional, even taking care of someone's bloody feet. I'm glad to have met her.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Don't use soap to clean your pot while you are hiking. Use soap to wash your hands. Soap adds to the pollutants in an already heavily trafficked area.
    I use Dr. Bonner's and it only takes one or two drops. I do reuse my wash water for everything including including my hands. I already have enough problems with my digestive tract, I will wash my pots and follow LNT principles for disposing of wash and rinse water. HYOH
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ted M View Post
    That's Chloe. I had nothing but a positive experience with her a few weeks ago when myself and HooKooDooKu carried 20lbs of food up to Derrick Knob Shelter to surprise folks with hamburgers and hot dogs on a snowy day. She was friendly, knowledgeable, and yes she did take charge when needed, but was very helpful and professional, even taking care of someone's bloody feet. I'm glad to have met her.
    It's not her first season as a RR, so she's seen and heard everything at this point. I've never had an issue with a ranger or a RR and usually take advantage of the chance to share lore and stories of the trail with them.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

The no soap rinse water becomes a blend of nastiness after a while and imparts off flavors to subsequent meals. Curry chocolate cider oatmeal really isn't appealing to me even after 100 miles of hiking. My meal variety changes, and may include fats and oils. Those sorts of things can get rancid.
    Occasionally, something might get crispy or burned. Flame control can be finicky with different stoves.

Most times, there's nothing left but a film before washing, but once in a while a grain of rice or a half-cooked noodle stick to the pot. Having a little chunk of squishy/hard noodle interupt a slurry of curry chocolate cider EVOO oatmeal really does create a bit of a gag reflex.

I use a microdropper bottle for camp soap and literally use just 2-3 drops of soap. If I am somewhere particularly stringent on wash water, I have a screen to catch the odd bit of rice or noodle and I put that in my trash bag.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The no soap rinse water becomes a blend of nastiness after a while and imparts off flavors to subsequent meals. Curry chocolate cider oatmeal really isn't appealing to me even after 100 miles of hiking. My meal variety changes, and may include fats and oils. Those sorts of things can get rancid.
    Plan your meals so the flavors come together from your last meal, or it cleans the pot for the next one if they would clash. All part of LNT principles, in this case #1. And yes I do plan this way. If I need a clean pot for next meal, I will plan my current one to have it clean. If what I have will leave some behind I will have to blend with the next.

Images

Or use freezer bag meals and just use your pot to heat water to mix in the bag and eat from the bag, then pack it out in your trash. This is not LNT, since the used bag winds up in the landfill. But at least your pot is clean and you donīt waste water or time washing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by walkeatsleep View Post
    Or use freezer bag meals and just use your pot to heat water to mix in the bag and eat from the bag, then pack it out in your trash. This is not LNT, since the used bag winds up in the landfill. But at least your pot is clean and you donīt waste water or time washing anything.
    I like this idea. You have any freezer bag recipes you can share on the food forum?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

This is not against LNT guidelines. As long as you pack it out, I don't see the conflict.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    This is not against LNT guidelines. As long as you pack it out, I don't see the conflict.
    anything that winds up in the landfill is leaving a trace.....cooking in a pot then washing the pot (without soap) and drinking the wash water is LNT, plastic bags are not LNT....at least thatīs my take on it, I could be wrong.

Journal Entries

anything that winds up in the landfill is leaving a trace.....cooking in a pot then washing the pot (without soap) and drinking the wash water is LNT, plastic bags are not LNT....at least thatīs my take on it, I could be wrong.
    LNT is outdoor and in this case backcountry ethics, not planetary conservation ethics. As long as you pack it out you are good as far as LNT is concerned. Not saying that the bag is not another item to discuss, but just not in the context of LNT. Carry it out and you are good to go.

I wasn't aware my GF got a ridge runner job. Welcome to my world Gambit.

Nothing but good things to say about ridge runners. +6 to HKDK, JB, TNH, Ranger, Storm, first comments.

How much fuel (gas) did you use getting to a trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    When people would venture away from the shelter too far (for what ever reason, could be pot, could be to make a phone call in private, to go pee) she would catch up to them as quickly as she could and coarse them into doing whatever they needed to do closer to the shelter.
    Can someone describe the rule violation here? This one is a little creepy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    How much fuel (gas) did you use getting to a trail?
    Really good question....and how many different kinds of earthīs resources went into the car I drove to burn the gas to get to the trail, not to mention other raw materials that were used to manufacturer the clothes I wore, and the pack I carried and all the things inside the pack, and the fuel I burned to heat the water to rehydrate my meal? Wow, backpack camping is totally harmful to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Plan your meals so the flavors come together from your last meal, or it cleans the pot for the next one if they would clash. All part of LNT principles, in this case #1. And yes I do plan this way. If I need a clean pot for next meal, I will plan my current one to have it clean. If what I have will leave some behind I will have to blend with the next.
    That's overkill and not what is said in LNT.

Dispose of waste properly.

• To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.

Unless there's a different protocol for the specific area, there's no LNT principle saying drink your dish water. I am not going to plan my meals so the dishwater tastes good. Plus it's not sanitary. Forgo hot water and dish soap at home for a few months or years with your eating utensils and see how that turns out. Include sugary drinks frequently. Eat outside all the time while doing it and make sure to lay your spoon down on the ground or on the town park picnic table every now and then. Oh and don't wash your hands for days and days since you are abstaining from soap.

Not to say I wouldn't eat a couple of Skittles off the ground if I knew I was the one who dropped them. But if I don't, I keep a small Ziploc in my pocket at all times for little garbage like that, candy wrappers, little pieces of food packaging, bits of spillage while cooking, etc.

Freezer bag cooking will keep your pot clean but I dehydrate my own meals and the proportions don't always work out. Sometimes I need to reduce the water content or thicken the broth or part of the meal needs to be cooked.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Here is a link to the LNT seven principles.
    https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Can someone describe the rule violation here? This one is a little creepy.
    In GSMNP, you are only allowed to camp at designed campsites. During the thru hiker season, when there's more thru hikers than can fit IN the shelters, the thru hikers are permitted to tent near the shelter.
    So I can only imagine that the RR was making sure people were NOT setting up tents too far away from the shelter...
    Especially since contrary to this story, when we ran into Chloe, one of her recommendations was that if you needed to "relieve" yourself, she specifically suggested walking down the trail a ways and then turn into the woods as the designated "relief" area was "turning into a mine field" (because the shelter had no priviot and the designated area near the shelter was getting overloaded).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    That's overkill and not what is said in LNT.

Dispose of waste properly.

• To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.

It is covered under 'plan ahead and prepare' which is the basis of LNT implementation, which is to think out how to minimize your impact, with less being better. LNT is not a set of rules, though many take them as such, but having the right heart for the wild, her creatures and our 'fellow man' and to the ability of the person to do it.

The guidelines are not absolutes, but are steps of a graduated system towards minimizing impact.

So it is covered under LNT, but again none of LNT is a requirement, just a guideline.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++