WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Mime to hike the A.T. backwards

While raking ditches on my A.T. maintenance section the other day, I said to my fellow volunteer:

"When is someone going to set the FKT for a mime hiking the A.T. backwards?"

He said:

"Supported or unsupported?"

Images

Supported I would think. Ughhh, can you imagine the communication issues?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Here it is for all you want to be recognized for a FKT people. Pick a route of your choosing that hasn't been done or doesn't yet have a claimed FKT documenting it well giving it some catchy appealing name hiking it first. You now have your FKT...until the second person thru-hikes it.

I fear the mime will become trapped in an invisible shelter, with mice to match.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Not sayin' a word, just not.......sayin'........a........word............. ...........
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Default Mime to hike the A.T. backwards

every shelter and privy is 4 sided for a mime
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Here it is for all you want to be recognized for a FKT people. Pick a route of your choosing that hasn't been done or doesn't yet have a claimed FKT documenting it well giving it some catchy appealing name hiking it first. You now have your FKT...until the second person thru-hikes it.
    Has anybody thru-hiked Labrador to the Torngat Mountains? That would be impressive.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

What I like about mimes is that you never here them gabbing away on their phones. Plus if you forget your phone, they always seem to have reception and are willing to lend you theirs.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Are mime farts silent?

Journal Entries
    Images

He will have ropes and ladders
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

A mime would get thrown off a cliff before finishing. Instead of a FKT, the best they could hope for is LKD (longest known distance).
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 05-03-2017 at 07:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    While raking ditches on my A.T. maintenance section the other day, I said to my fellow volunteer:

"When is someone going to set the FKT for a mime hiking the A.T. backwards?"

He said:

"Supported or unsupported?"
    There was a little known successful attempt before, but as nobody got the mime's name... it was understandably underreported.

The mime went fully supported.

Although Peter Bakwin, Doyle and Horton* were eventually forced to rule on it and officially call it unsupported; the mime of course gestured exhaustively and emphatically at all his "friends" and the various "support" including the impossibly equipped aid station, support van, portable room and numerous other wonders seemingly pulled from thin air as needed to complete the attempt. The escalator and ladder techniques were employed extensively in the whites to shatter previous mileages in that section. The crossing of the Kennebec was done in masterful style when a previously unseen kayak routine was amusingly employed. Despite all the master manipulations of 3d space and one of the most vigorously excessive uses of one's hands while hiking in FKT history; no one outside the close mouthed mime community has been able to explain why he was walking backwards.

*This heated and eventually violent argument amongst these three pioneers did eventually cause an irreparable rift in their relationship and disrupt FKT efforts moving forward for a few years. It was not until Paul Pomeroy, who hiked the Colorado Trail while maintaining a vow of silence, volunteered to take charge of future mime efforts and the three gentleman were able to grudgingly move past the episode. Paul's verbal silence, but ability to actually use a physical keyboard and actual computer to document the efforts proved to be the bridge needed between the two communities.

In a historical footnote and editorial comment:
    This choice to walk backwards for the FKT set a precedent and a dramatic change in style that will forever reshape the sport as it introduced a firestorm of controversy. Although the general public will never hear the truth spoken aloud, amongst the mime speed hiking community it is widely speculated that this method finally broke the barrier that had thwarted scores of previous attempts. Despite rampant speculation by others... regarding an explanation for why so many forward walking mimes have failed before I believe the simplest answer is the most accurate;
    When walking backwards one does not need to employ trekking poles.

Journal Entries

Some people have way, way, too much time on their hands!

Quote Originally Posted by sloger View Post
    Some people have way, way, too much time on their hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I heard he got disqualified for doing a 360 while walking and taking in the views in the Whites since a few of his steps were forward.

Things look much the same going vs. coming. I have that discussion with my wife when I pick a seat in the less crowded rear-facing half of the train car.

So, if a mime finishes a FKT on a trail in the woods, does anyone "hear" about it?

++ New Posts ++