WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hitch into Andover Maine

Hi! Doing a little planning for next month. I see there are two ways to get to Andover Maine: at MM 1932 on East B Hill Road, and 10 miles later at MM 1942 on South Arm Road. I am wondering which of these two is an easier hitch? Anyone with experience?
    Thanks,
    Mando

both are long waits. but e b hill road has more traffic

Good to know. Maybe I'll just carry a couple more days of food and make it to Rangeley.

not much traffic on either road. I've driven the roads quite often and rarely see any other cars or trucks. There is some traffic, usually outdoorsy people hiking or fishing in the area who will pick up hikers, such as me. Locals know hikers will need a ride into Andover and are willing to stop. Be prepared to walk.

I maintain the AT boundary for part of that section. South Arm road is effectively a dead end but it is an access to a marina on the lake. East B hill road is a through road but not a real popular one. I think one of the outfitters runs a shuttle in the AM and the PM to their hostel. It s long walk either way.

Your best bet is to arrange a shuttle with one of the hostels you'll be staying at. But call them well before hand to find out where you have to call from while on the trail since there are only a few spots with coverage in the area. Once down to the road it's no signal. Hitching really isn't a very good option.

Also keep in mind it looks like this is going to be a very wet month of May, so it will likely still be very soggy if your planning an early June hike in the area. Lets hope it's not a very wet June too...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you all for the good info! Sorry to hear that May is supposed to be wet. Would love a dry-ish walk through Maine, but it is what it is.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

what i have learned about hitching...be positive, position yourself well and logistically easy for someone to stop...smile and wave...and you will get what you need to get and where you need to get to.

i've hitchhiked in over 30 countries. never say never, but i've never not gotten a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    what i have learned about hitching...be positive, position yourself well and logistically easy for someone to stop...smile and wave...and you will get what you need to get and where you need to get to.

i've hitchhiked in over 30 countries. never say never, but i've never not gotten a ride.
    The bigger issue with hitchhiking in this area is there has to be traffic in order to get a hitch. The moose are pretty laid back but not really amenable to picking up a hitch

I plan on going this weekend to take some pics of the Cararacts and Dunns Falls. I'll show you exactly how wet its going to be off East B Hill Road.

Cool! No rain, no Maine, right?

Journal Entries

I had no problem getting a fast ride from either, as I slacked those 10 miles, there was a trail angel waiting at the NoBo one who also gave me a pocket knife as I lost mine, I still have and treasure the one he gave to me. You might decide on the weather and the day of the week. If it's a weekend and good weather more people will be out and a easier time overall. If it's raining (the type of weather you would really like a ride), expect fewer people, but perhaps greater kindness. You sould be able to make at least one of those days in.

Last fall I had surprisingly easy hitches in and out of town on East B Hill - whereas it took hours to get a ride recently on U.S. 89 in Utah ...

On those low traffic roads it really is hit or miss. You could score in 10 minutes or 10 hours.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Was on that section in June of the year Maine had it's wettest June in history. Walked out on South Arm and caught a ride almost instantly from a local that insisted we see a famous local feature, Devil's Den or something like that, and then see her yard which had won a beautification award. All this time we were soaked and freezing.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Plan on walking; that's what I did. After about 4 or 5 miles somebody picked me up.

Never assume you will get a ride into any town.

Journal Entries

Got a easy ride at both (I slackpacked that 10 miles while staying in Andover).

It is a tough hitch in both directions. I just carried extra and went to Rangeley.

++ New Posts ++