WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post

I've also hiked in Costco's house brand merino wool socks. They're OK. They pill very quickly (probably I should have only ever washed them inside-out), but they haven't worn through.
    I work on my feed all day 40+ hours a week and wear the Costco merino wool socks everyday, they've last a solid year and have finally start to wear holes in them, ive also washed them far too often but they are a really good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I have one pair of Smartwool, seven pair of Darn Tough. That should speak for itself, but like everything else, it depends on your feet. I get a blister every time I hike in the Smartwool. Unless it is a deluge and I am moving 3-4 mph with soaked socks, 0 blisters with the Darn Tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    My vote is for Darn Tough. Just back from section from Shenandoah to Harpers Ferry. Darn Tough Micro Crew in Merrill Moab, no liner. Zero blisters, no black toe nails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Socks typically do not cause blisters, though they can exacerbate them at times. Sounds more like you have your foot gear laced and tied properly to stop foot slide (black toes) and heel lift (blisters), preventing problems.
    Agree with Traveler. Condemning or labeling an entire brand of socks for supposedly being the prime cause of the underlined issues like blisters or black toe nails is confusing and likely incorrect. SO MANY things go into the causation of those issues like shoe fit, insoles, the specific model of sock, and several other factors rather than simply the brand.

By the way, Darn Tuff is just the house brand for Cabot Hosiery. They make a large number of private label socks, The factory sale is literally in the warehouse right next door to the knitting machines and they make corridors for the sale out of whatever boxes they have in stock. They don't sell labeled private label socks at the sale but I expect they sell many very high end unlabeled socks that are overruns and seconds from the private runs. I expect some of the national brand outdoor socks are probably Cabot Hosiery.

Watching a zpacks hiking videos, Red Beard was talking about how Joe turned him on to Wigwam Triathlete socks. All my prior hiking socks were the wigwam ultimax socks so I tried them when I switched to trail runners. Haven't got big mile on them to speak of durability, but my other wigwams have all held up well. I really like the thin sock and trail runner combo. After hiking for a bit the socks become almost like a second skin, even if they wear out quickly, I still really like the real thin socks concept.
    I noticed after looking at the darn tough website for the first time, they have something similar under the running section. Anyone ever try these? They have a wool and a full synthetic version. https://darntough.com/collections/me...nt=30180571783

Journal Entries
    Images

I used smartwool endurance socks on my SHT thru hike and two pairs did not last fifty miles.
    When I arrived in Tofte Mn at the outfitter they did not stock darn tough(which is my go to sock but duluth pack didnt have any in my size which explains the smart wool purchase) but did have some merino endurance socks called farm to feet out of Damascus so I bought two pair and was suprised to find how comfortable and durable they were and would recommend them.
    If you have narrowed it down to darn tough or smartwool I would go give darn tough A try .
    I just used two pair of there endurance socks on my FT thru hike and they are still going strong.
    Darn tough has amazing customer service and A no questions ask lifetime warranty where I found smartwools customer service was lacking in more than the return policy of there products not to mention there socks didnt last any time.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wvueers View Post
    I currently use Smartwool PhD ultralight merino wool hiking socks for my thru hikes. the problem is the durability of the sock is not what I expect for the price point. also, because it is so thin and light, my foot tends to shift inside my shoe a fair amount. on the flipside, they dry quickly. darn tough seem to be a popular alternative. anyone have any in sight or other socks they like to hike in? I use trail shoes, not boots
    thanks
    AC
    I prefer Injiji Trail toe socks and Injiji Coolmax liners. The liners get a little beat up once you get past 200 miles of use, but I don't get blisters and they are comfortable soaking wet for 10-15 miles. I see no reason to switch or try anything else. I use them in Altra Lone Peak and Merrell Ventilator shoes. They won't get replaced for free, but I buy multiple when I see a deal.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Saying that you wear SmartWool or Darn Tough or any other sock is like saying that you have an Osprey pack, Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, TarpTent and drive a Chevy.
    Gear is too personal for one combination of sock and shoe to work for everyone.
    How you go about putting on your socks and shoes is another story.
    Rocketsocks?
    Wayne

Well said.

My initial boot/ sock purchase was done at the same time, same outfitter. They suggested I get 2 pair of the socks - the socks were the AT logo DarnTough socks. That was 2.5 years ago and perhaps 600 hiking miles ago.

The Darn Tough socks did shrink after washing (even though I didn't put them in the dryer), but they have held up well; I'm still using the first two pair I bought. The elastic around the openings is pretty much shot, but the foot areas are all perfect.

I did buy one pair of Smart Wool socks, just to try them out. Don't recall which specific model they are, but they are taller and fluffier than my Darn Toughs. I like how thick they are, and have hiked in them without issue, but because of their fluffiness, they tend to be my camp / sleep socks.

Thank you MtDoraDave.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Instructional video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prRtcQz8Uqk
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Some people are just too hard headed to learn from others that have thousands of trouble free miles.

I wore Injiji toe liners with Darn Toughs over them the whole trail. I got a few blisters in NH (where the real rocks are!) but nothing bad. When I got done with my thru I sent all three pairs of DT back and they replaced them.

Inspired by this thread, I ordered a few pairs of Darn Toughs this morning. I noticed their "work socks" lack colorful patterns and cost a bit less. I'm looking forward to their arrival.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wright Socks are two layers, prevent blisters and are very durable. Three pair lasted me the entire hike. I think I went through six pairs of shoes.

Images

I started out with smart wool. Switched to darn tough. Spent the last couple of years wearing wright socks.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Some people are just too hard headed to learn from others that have thousands of trouble free miles.
    Perhaps some just aren't able to comprehend others have thousands of trouble free miles on socks other than what they prefer?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Perhaps some just aren't able to comprehend others have thousands of trouble free miles on socks other than what they prefer?

If something works for someone, they should use it

But they also should realize when they still have room for improvement . If liner or an anti-friction goo, or magic sock is credited with foot sucess...no, theres still something not optimal for their foot. Particularly at low 10-15 mpd mileage.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-08-2017 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by wvueers View Post
    I currently use Smartwool PhD ultralight merino wool hiking socks for my thru hikes. the problem is the durability of the sock is not what I expect for the price point. also, because it is so thin and light, my foot tends to shift inside my shoe a fair amount. on the flipside, they dry quickly. darn tough seem to be a popular alternative. anyone have any in sight or other socks they like to hike in? I use trail shoes, not boots
    thanks
    AC
    Do you like thick socks or thin socks, darn toughs are a little thicker

I think Darn Tough's "secret" is that they tend to be dense. They might not feel as soft as many others, but they go the distance.

Journal Entries

I have used Darn tough socks for years now and now use their AT socks because Darn tough donates 5% back to the ATC. At current prices that's $1.00 per pair. Not much, but those dollars add up.
    Blackheart

Images

Sadly, I can't wear the Injinji socks, I have webbed toes. No, seriously.

I've got a pair of Darn Tough crews I've been doing weekend hikes for years now and they are holding up. My Smartwool work socks get thin in the heel quick.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++