WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yech

Milk and sugar in coffee??

Sorry, people that put stuff in coffee, have absolutely no idea what coffee even is.

I drink crap coffee daily for work and when in rush. Not a coffee snob, but i grind and brew fresh roasted coffee beans when i have time. Most people have never tasted what real good fresh coffee is. They need milk and sugar because they are drinking bitter sour stale oxidized old grind coffee, overroasted to try to hide the bitterness.
    Interesting. So nobody that appreciates good coffee ever uses any form of additive? What about the various international variations that are brewed intensely and typically served with sugar (Lebanese and Turkish come to mind). I generally drink black coffee at home from fresh roasted and ground beans with a French press. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally use heavy cream with it. On the trail I find a French press a giant pain. An aeropress is a decent alternative. However, most of my trips these days are stove less, and the Korean coffee fits that situation perfectly. Listen more to people's needs and options and rush to judgment less.

Yech

Milk and sugar in coffee??

Sorry, people that put stuff in coffee, have absolutely no idea what coffee even is.

I drink crap coffee daily for work and when in rush. Not a coffee snob, but i grind and brew fresh roasted coffee beans when i have time. Most people have never tasted what real good fresh coffee is. They need milk and sugar because they are drinking bitter sour stale oxidized old grind coffee, overroasted to try to hide the bitterness.

Oh I dunno I'd have to disagree regarding coffee I'll agree on fresh grinding whole beans though. I personally enjoy it with a touch of cream. And yes I've had my share of black coffee
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Journal Entries

Sugar in coffee is a no-starter.

Journal Entries

Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee.
    You may like what you drink. But its not coffee anymore. Its coffee with X. Usually startling amounts of X.

Ive been coerced to drink arabic coffee with coworkers in middle east. Sorry, frickin disgusting. Cardamom is disgusting, like drinking flowers. Which is why the cup is soo tiny.....

Fresh roasted single source ripe beans whose smell fills a room and lingers for long time just by opening bag, ground right before use , oozing co2 during bloom and brew, 16-17:1 water ratio, brewed perfectly balanced, hints of chocolate, earthiness, acidic flavors depending on soil of origination....is real coffee, what coffee is all about. You cannot experience it putting adulterants in it.

Todays mass produced stale pre grind market, has totally replaced real coffee for 99+% of people. Roasted whole beans lose over half their flavors in 2 weeks from roast date. Unless you purchase fresh beans from local roaster with the roast date on bag, its hard to experience really good coffee.

Im not a snob but i can discern between different single source beans, brew extraction times , etc. The vast majority of what I drink daily is pure crap. Both at work, and the keurig junk leaving house in morning.

But on weekends......😊. Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2017 at 20:04.

Occasionally. Usually on long road trips. I'll actually go to a Starbucks and order a raspberry mocha latte with an extra shot.
    The rest of the year I drink my coffee neat.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've had the Maxim singles before and I still prefer Cafe Bustelo. Maxim tastes pretty bland to me, but I am also one of those black coffee only snobs.

It is somewhat bland, but tossing an extra pack in works wonders in that regard.

I ended up getting both the Maxim and G7 packs and mixing together to make my cup. Makes a pretty easy ok cup of coffee when in a rush and needing the quick boost. Just curious if it will help with my morning need of a kickstart to get other things moving that coffee generally assists with. It is bad when we are slaves to our routines.

Journal Entries

In the words of one of my best worldly friends, "I like my coffee like I like my women. Dumb!"

Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee.
    You may like what you drink. But its not coffee anymore. Its coffee with X. Usually startling amounts of X.

Ive been coerced to drink arabic coffee with coworkers in middle east. Sorry, frickin disgusting. Cardamom is disgusting, like drinking flowers. Which is why the cup is soo tiny.....

Fresh roasted single source ripe beans whose smell fills a room and lingers for long time just by opening bag, ground right before use , oozing co2 during bloom and brew, 16-17:1 water ratio, brewed perfectly balanced, hints of chocolate, earthiness, acidic flavors depending on soil of origination....is real coffee, what coffee is all about. You cannot experience it putting adulterants in it.

Todays mass produced stale pre grind market, has totally replaced real coffee for 99+% of people. Roasted whole beans lose over half their flavors in 2 weeks from roast date. Unless you purchase fresh beans from local roaster with the roast date on bag, its hard to experience really good coffee.

Im not a snob but i can discern between different single source beans, brew extraction times , etc. The vast majority of what I drink daily is pure crap. Both at work, and the keurig junk leaving house in morning.

But on weekends....... Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..
    Lots of valid points...I need to find a local roaster...I guess the local Maxwell house factory doesn't count.....though it does make our down town air smell allot better.....covers up all the piss smell from the hobos.....

Journal Entries

Question

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Lots of valid points...I need to find a local roaster...I guess the local Maxwell house factory doesn't count.....though it does make our down town air smell allot better.....covers up all the piss smell from the hobos.....

I highly recomnend getting a simple pour-over setup, fresh beans, hand burr grinder. Good coffee is one of those things that mass production/marketing stole from everyone over the last 100 yrs, and is currently undergoing rennaissance. Most is so sour and bitter, flat and flavorless, its no wonder people add milk and sugar to drink it.

Very short shelf life once roasted. No shelf life at all if ground. They tried vacuum packing, nitrogen packing, etc over years to preserve it..doesnt work.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-10-2017 at 11:12.

Cardamom? Brings back fond memories of little syrupy cups of strong sweet coffee with a real kick to it. Maybe I'll grind up a little to enhance my Korean coffee treats on my upcoming Maine hike.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

I know what you mean with the local fresh roaster. I live just down the road and love going into J'ville to smell the beans. Just wish they tasted as good as they smell at times.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

I roast my own beans. It can be done with things as simple as a outdoor grill or an air popcorn popper.

But on weekends....... Its awesome, its glorious, it tastes like it smells..
    This is meant in a good spirit:
    what powers of discernment would a real coffee snob have over that which you've claimed for yourself?

Images

Realize that if you put adulterants in coffee.....its because you dont like coffee...
    Were you an actor on Twin Peaks?

I'm an adulterer, LOL. Agreed that the combination of two things is different than the one thing appreciated by itself. I think its extreme, though, to say somebody by definition doesn't like thing 1 because they prefer it with thing 2. I like black coffee from time to time, especially when I'm splurging on good stuff. (same with my liquor) But I do prefer it with creme and sugar. Sort of a latin thing I picked up.
    Last edited by scope; 05-11-2017 at 13:13.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It is somewhat bland, but tossing an extra pack in works wonders in that regard.
    If it takes 2 to maybe equal 1 Cafe Bustelo then the Cafe Bustelo is even cheaper.
    Found the Cafe Bustelo instant singles $0.86/6 locally. Beat that Amazon.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Nice. I don't recall ever seeing it close to that price, but I'll keep an eye out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Nice. I don't recall ever seeing it close to that price, but I'll keep an eye out.
    Really? Its 99cents regular price at my store, so 86 is only 15% off.

Timely as I just made myself a cup. I have access to free "pod" coffee at work but would rather have the Bustelo for the minimal cost.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hmm... Maybe I've just missed it in the past. In any case, one of my reasons for appreciating the Maxim option was that the added cream and sugar make it a perfect shake and drink option for a quick morning breakfast as I'm packing up camp. Cold, instant black coffee just doesn't sound that good to me. Actually takes me back to times in the military when I was sleepy and poured instant coffee in my mouth to let it dissolve. Pretty sure the bitterness did more to wake me up than the caffeine ever did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++