WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question mic and wind screen for video recording

I have noticed that the videos that people are posting on YouTube of their hikes often have poor quality audio apparently due to wind. I'm just wondering what people are typically using to record their videos and if any are using wind screen devices to cut down on the wind. What are you using for a mic, what wind screen device do you use if any, and how well does your mic work in normal and windy locations? Are there any relatively inexpensive and lightweight mic systems that produce good quality audio and screen all wind noise?

Because the most important thing about hiking and enjoying nature is high quality video/ audio .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Because the most important thing about hiking and enjoying nature is high quality video/ audio .
    Who knew? I don't recall Mr. Fletcher mentioning that.
    If anyone has a solution, I'm guessing that B&H Audio Video will. You can find them online.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Here.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

Most trail videos are made using a phone attached to the end of a trekking pole. Others use small point and shoot cameras, still on the end of a trekking pole. Short of carrying heavy video units with a remote mic hook up. I don't know if there is a blue tooth style mic available.
    Blackheart

evan's backpacking video, a channel on youtube, did a vid once on making youtube vids. Pretty sure that's where he mentioned what he uses. It was some sort of microphone I think, with wind screen

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    I have noticed that the videos that people are posting on YouTube of their hikes often have poor quality audio apparently due to wind. I'm just wondering what people are typically using to record their videos and if any are using wind screen devices to cut down on the wind. What are you using for a mic, what wind screen device do you use if any, and how well does your mic work in normal and windy locations? Are there any relatively inexpensive and lightweight mic systems that produce good quality audio and screen all wind noise?
    Most people are using their phones, and from what I've seen, the iPhone is one of the most popular. Often these phones are in cases, which can diminish the audio capture capabilities. Many others use small P&S cameras like the popular Sony RX series. For those, the mic placement can greatly impact the audio capture, and a lot of users buy or create a small tuft of material that makes a great windscreen. If the user is experienced, they will likely position themselves or the camera so the wind noise isn't as much of a factor, but that's highly dependent on location and weather.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the best mic that exists for a phone camera. Chris Berry is using one to document his thru-hike of the AZT as we speak.

http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88

gallery-mv88-01.jpg
    There are some that use larger DSLR type cameras like the popular Canon M3, Canon 7D, and Sony A6000. Those people usually have great setups and don't have problems with wind, audio, or stabilization.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I spent about a minute at B&H and found everything you'll need. Fuzzy wind screens are $2-$3.
    You can buy seriously good 4K video/still cameras for less than a Z cuben tent.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

In order to make quality videos, you need to use quality equipment. Shug has some of the best videos for backpackers, hammock hangers, well lets just say if you want to spend time in the great outdoors, watch what Shug has to say. I believe he uses video cameras as opposed to phones or point and shoot digital cameras. The other piece you will need is quality editing software. It will allow you to filter noise at various frequencies making easy to hear what you want. I am not saying the quality videos can't be made with phones or PAS digital cameras, but if I were use these I would try and find a good quality blue tooth mic if they even make them.
    Blackheart

thanks, I'' check it out!

Funny, the Zpacks duplex tent is on my wish list along with the Zpacks circuit backpack. Those things aren't cheep, but I suspect you already know that. I already have an iPhone with Lifeproof case, StickPic, and phone clamp, so I will probably be looking for a mic that will work with those items. It looks like some people are filming while wearing ear buds, and the sound seemed decent enough for my purposes, but I don't know if they were using the mic in their ear buds or had some other mic. I was wondering if there are any of those fuzzy wind screens for an ear bud mic. I'm going to also look into the mic that -Rush- posted a link to. I think I'll also look into a remote for the iPhone. I have taken some awesome stills with my iPhone, but not videos. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer iPhone. I don't think a new camera is in my budget on top of my Zpacks wish list, though.

Journal Entries
    Blackheart

Images

Fuzzy wind screens are $2-$3.

or you can use a sock............

seen it done many a time while being in the tapers section of a grateful dead show.....

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Wind screens to match. If you look around.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

If you look real close, it comes with a foam screen.
    Blackheart

I use a Sony Action AS200V cam due to it's audio pickup capabilities. I am looking for something newer with better video but it's hard to beat Sony's Action Cam series for direct audio pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    In order to make quality videos, you need to use quality equipment. Shug has some of the best videos for backpackers, hammock hangers, well lets just say if you want to spend time in the great outdoors, watch what Shug has to say. I believe he uses video cameras as opposed to phones or point and shoot digital cameras. The other piece you will need is quality editing software. It will allow you to filter noise at various frequencies making easy to hear what you want. I am not saying the quality videos can't be made with phones or PAS digital cameras, but if I were use these I would try and find a good quality blue tooth mic if they even make them.
    Believe it or not Shug uses a point-and-shoot when hiking. I think currently he uses the Canon Elp 110. He used to use the 300 series I believe. They were good but no longer made.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Believe it or not Shug uses a point-and-shoot when hiking. I think currently he uses the Canon Elp 110. He used to use the 300 series I believe. They were good but no longer made.
    Interesting I would have thought with the quality it had to be a true video setup. Thanks.
    Blackheart

On an Android phone I use Open Camera because it allows you to use a regular Bluetooth headset as audio input for video recording. You can walk 20 feet from the camera and just keep talking without a change in quality. It works great with a decent headset. I use a bobby pin and just clip the mic to my collar with the ear buds dangling inside my shirt, barely noticeable.

And yeah, a bit of foam goes a long way in reducing wind noise.

Images

I bought the cheapest dead kitten windscreen I could find and some super glue. I also bought a super cheap wired mic headset. Both the super glue and the headset came from Dollar Tree.

I used scissors and cut the earbuds off the headset (don't cut the mic!), then cut bits of dead kitten wind screen and super glued it around the mic.

Bob's your uncle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++