WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking Yellowstone

I will be at Yellowstone May 29 through June 1 backpacking some trails. I'm definitely looking at Sky Rim Loop. Anyone else planning to be in the area at that time I'd appreciate the company. Anyone familiar with good advice about Yellowstone trails or the park in general I appreciate that too!

I hope you have SERIOUS Alpine and Winter Conditions experience; Sky rim will still be under quite a bit of snow; even Mt. Washburn will be problematic. The Bechler, IMO Yellowstone's best backpacking, will like most places have dangerously high stream levels.

The only real go to Yellowstone trail in your timeframe is Black Canyon. Hiking opportunities will be better in SOME of the Shoshone and Bridger-Teton National Forests. Lower elevation hikes in Grand Teton like Bearpaw and Trappers Lake would be great choices. Around Phelps Lake another.

Backcountrypost.com and the Yellowstone Hiking Facebook Group will have a lot more opinion, advice for you.

I don't know if things have changed, but back when I spent some time in Yellowstone, getting a permit for one person was not easy. A party of 2 was the minimum for a lot of areas with 4 preferred. Me, myself and I didn't quite add up to the required 4 for many areas.

Thankfully, a friend of mine was working in the park (and had a car) so with two of us, we were generally able to convince them to give us a permit.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Adding insult to injury: Several backcountry areas are closed due to bear activity.
    The Yellowstone NP web pages explain everything very well.
    A few days on the trail connecting the lakes in Grand Teton NP would be nice. Low elevation, easy getting around.
    https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvis...Dayhikes17.pdf
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Black Canyon area is pretty and is snow free earlier than most of the rest of the park.

++ New Posts ++