WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Blackflies on your hands.

I hear 2017 is supposed to really bad for blackflies and mozzies (and bugs in general). Thinking about how to protect my hands while hiking. Really not too into slathering them with chemicals followed by eating/scratching/rubbing my eye. I have heard Permithrin treated socks are good, but what about treated gloves? Thinking about doing the Outdoor Research half finger sun gloves and treating them. Thoughts anyone?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    . . . Thinking about doing the Outdoor Research half finger sun gloves and treating them. Thoughts anyone? . . .
    Do it. Should be reasonably effective.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I've never personally had issues with flies or mosquitos on my hands, but I have seen people wear biking style gloves on hikes.

Black flies are voracious! Either deet or mittens made with bugnetting.

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedInsideACube View Post
    I've never personally had issues with flies or mosquitos on my hands, but I have seen people wear biking style gloves on hikes.
    Not black flies. Blackflies.

You don't need to be worried about your hands, you'll be waving them around trying to keep the flies away from your face.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You don't need to be worried about your hands, you'll be waving them around trying to keep the flies away from your face.
    I have protection for everything else to the point of no skin showing. Just the hands left to deal with. I have never dealt with these bugs personally really don't want to believe the stories

They prefer face and ears, hairlines, places like that. They can climb up your sleeves and bite your arms. Worst itching is when they bite around your elbows or wrists.

I don't know if this is a feasible option however, when I was hunting bear in Canada a few years ago, we had to wear latex to keep all of the flying, stinging bugs off of our hands.

We also had to wear full-body, double-layer bug suits and had to tape off around the hand and feet to keep them out...it's was crazy. I can still hear the constant buzzing sound of I think about it.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    They prefer face and ears, hairlines, places like that. They can climb up your sleeves and bite your arms. Worst itching is when they bite around your elbows or wrists.
    The gloves I am considering go well over the sleeves of my shirt. Think that will do?

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I don't know if this is a feasible option however, when I was hunting bear in Canada a few years ago, we had to wear latex to keep all of the flying, stinging bugs off of our hands.

We also had to wear full-body, double-layer bug suits and had to tape off around the hand and feet to keep them out...it's was crazy. I can still hear the constant buzzing sound of I think about it.

Good luck.
    If it's that bad I am going to run the AT! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    The gloves I am considering go well over the sleeves of my shirt. Think that will do?

Yes, that will be good.

You might want to believe those stories about how bad black flies are … Know why we have no alligators here in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Not black flies. Blackflies.

Yep, they just never seem to bother my hands. Maybe because I use hiking poles and keep constantly moving.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you go with gloves, use full fingers, otherwise the little !@#$%@s will crawl inside and bite you between the fingers in the web. Nasty creatures! To paraphrase Frodo, what do they eat when they can't get hikers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    If you go with gloves, use full fingers, otherwise the little !@#$%@s will crawl inside and bite you between the fingers in the web. Nasty creatures! To paraphrase Frodo, what do they eat when they can't get hikers?!
    Permithrin soaked not going to stop them getting in?

"It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Hahahahahahahahaha!

So far it's been a cold, wet spring in NE this year and if it continues much longer (which it well might), then there will be a big Black Fly hatch when it warms up in June. The last few years we've had warm, dry spring weather so the flies haven't been too bad. This could be a much more traditional year for them.

Unless your one of those unfortunate people who react badly to their bite (by swelling up like a balloon) the first dozen or so bites are annoying, but you then develop an immunity. However, the shear numbers swarming around your head will make you crazy. Insect replant may or may not be effective (usually not) in keeping them from biting, but nothing will keep them from swarming around you.

Since they swarm when it's hot out, being all covered up and wearing a head net is way too hot and uncomfortable to be hiking in. The best you can do is to keep hiking at a stiff pace to keep them behind you (and if you stop, they all catch up), then build a small, smoky fire when you get to camp to help shoo them away. You will have collected several thousand of them along the way which will follow you into camp.

For some inexplicable reason, they tend to collect at the top of peaks too, which makes hanging out and enjoying the view less then enjoyable. I've learned to avoid the woods for most of June...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Cute .......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++