WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Best answer: avoid being on the AT in New England in June. If I have to, I'll start taking afternoon siestas on next year's through-hike to delay getting into New England until mid-July. I've got plenty of public domain classics to read on my phone.

Second best answer: full coverage protection. Wear a mosquito net over your head, with a wide-brim sun hat underneath to prevent the mesh from dragging on your sweaty skin. A long-sleeve wicking T-shirt. And, finally getting to the topic, gloves. I use janitor's gloves because they're cheap, lightweight, and have snug wrist cuffs that make a seal over the shirt cuffs. Also they've got polyurethane palms to give you a firm grip on your trekking poles when you're dripping sweat.

JanitorGloves.jpg

Journal Entries

I have been using these from Outdoor Research for awhile now. I use them manly for blister prevention than bug protection. Never had a problem with creepy thing landing on my fingers as they are constantly in motion.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I have been using these from Outdoor Research for awhile now. I use them manly for blister prevention than bug protection. Never had a problem with creepy thing landing on my fingers as they are constantly in motion.
    Those are the exact ones I am thinking are best! Have you tried to treat them with permethrin?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    Those are the exact ones I am thinking are best! Have you tried to treat them with permethrin?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    No, as others have said you keep your hands moving with or without trekking poles. OR now has a new pair out that does not cover the wrist area. They weigh in at .9 oz. where as the original gloves are 1.2 oz. They choice is yours.
    Blackheart

Images

Get a bug jacket. The sleeves have elastic, you can pull them down over your hands. If the blackflies are really bad, you will be glad to have it. Speaking from experience.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++