Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1

    Default Altra Lone Peak 3.5 at REI

    I just pre-ordered a pair of Lone Peak 3.5's at REI. They promise to ship in less than 30 days, as soon as their warehouse receives them. Need them before I leave in June 21.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I just pre-ordered a pair of Lone Peak 3.5's at REI. They promise to ship in less than 30 days, as soon as their warehouse receives them. Need them before I leave in June 21.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3

    Default

    REI is the first to carry them, if you want them soon.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-27-2015
    Location
    Parkersburg, WV
    Age
    46
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Do they promise that the toe bumper won't peel off in less than 50 miles?

  5. #5

    Default

    Waiting for the 3.0s at clearance prices.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  6. #6
    Going for A walk left52side's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2016
    Location
    Tiny Home / Always changing
    Posts
    601
    Journal Entries
    2
    Images
    5

    Default

    Waiting for the 3.0s at clearance prices.
    I am with you on that...
    I wish I wuld have got more of the 2.0 ad 2.5 when I could.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Waiting for the 3.0s at clearance prices.
    I think that was the main fix with the 3.5s

  8. #8
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,307

    Default

    REI Anniversary sale Friday. If you order these shoes will you get the 20% off when they ship?
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  9. #9
    GAME 06
    Join Date
    10-15-2004
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Age
    65
    Posts
    724

    Default

    From reading the specs of the 3.0 and 3.5 and their verbiage on the REI site it appears that the only difference is a reinforced upper mesh.

    When I first read it I saw it mentioned a rock guard sandwiched in the sole of the shoe and thought "It is about time!" And then I realized they think they had one in the 3.0's. Sad. One thing this shoe needs is much more substantial rock protection as it is very minimal. I have been checking their site for their rockguard insert for a couple of months and they are never in stock.

    I have worn out 1 pair of 3.0's and one has to be really careful where they step in bad rocks (we have really bad rocks here in AZ) as you will bruise your feet in them for sure. I don't think you could actually run in them on the rocky trails here. After reading Anish's description of her afk on the AZT where she mentioned she used the beefier Altras I bought a pair of Alta Olympus 2.0's on sale and tried them. MUCH better than the 3.0's at protecting your feet. But the new Olympus 2.5's are $150 - ouch - that is a lot of money for a shoe which is only going to last maybe 500 miles.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    REI Anniversary sale Friday. If you order these shoes will you get the 20% off when they ship?
    Wayne
    I just called REI and I got the anniversary discount. However they had to cancel my original order, then place a new order today, since it is within the anniversary offering window.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Do they promise that the toe bumper won't peel off in less than 50 miles?
    That's a negative....I bought a pair of 3.5 before CT like clock work at under 50 miles both toes were peeling back......I hate to keep returning but they obviously have an issue with their adhesive...I called Altra again they advised shoe goo or return....damn shoes should come with a tube of shoe goo.....so it remains a love hate relationship with them.....same good feel as 3.0....back to back 24,25 mile days with no blister issues...I'll return for a new pair....just feel guilty returning same shoes knowing the end result.....I assume Altra makes it good with REI...I dont like to abuse the rei return policy.....curious as to others thoughts....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    That's a negative....I bought a pair of 3.5 before CT like clock work at under 50 miles both toes were peeling back......I hate to keep returning but they obviously have an issue with their adhesive...I called Altra again they advised shoe goo or return....damn shoes should come with a tube of shoe goo.....so it remains a love hate relationship with them.....same good feel as 3.0....back to back 24,25 mile days with no blister issues...I'll return for a new pair....just feel guilty returning same shoes knowing the end result.....I assume Altra makes it good with REI...I dont like to abuse the rei return policy.....curious as to others thoughts....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not see any abuse. REI and/or Altra are knowingly absorbing the cost of replacing defective product. Hopefully Altra will address the problem. Maybe they already have.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    That's a negative....I bought a pair of 3.5 before CT like clock work at under 50 miles both toes were peeling back......I hate to keep returning but they obviously have an issue with their adhesive...I called Altra again they advised shoe goo or return....damn shoes should come with a tube of shoe goo.....so it remains a love hate relationship with them.....same good feel as 3.0....back to back 24,25 mile days with no blister issues...I'll return for a new pair....just feel guilty returning same shoes knowing the end result.....I assume Altra makes it good with REI...I dont like to abuse the rei return policy.....curious as to others thoughts....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, I know it shouldn't be our job—and it shouldn't be necessary at all!—to field repair a brand new pair of shoes. That said, I had the same issue with a pair of LP 3.0 and I glued them down with Welder Contact Adhesive and it has held well.

    But I agree with FB that yours is not an abuse of REI's policy; the problem is clearly with the product, and the manufacturer has known about it for quite some time. Maybe if enough people keep returning them multiple times they'll use a better adhesive and/or maybe add a small bumper piece in order to fix the problem.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I do not see any abuse. REI and/or Altra are knowingly absorbing the cost of replacing defective product. Hopefully Altra will address the problem. Maybe they already have.
    Same. The abuser is the hiker who puts 280 miles on them, then says "these shoes aren't working for me, so I'm returning them". Defect (within reasonable age, i.e. not 10 years later) is a guilt-free return in my book.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-13-2012
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,034
    Images
    9

    Default

    My only complaint with the Altras is the almost nonexistent toe bumper. I eventually stump my toe on a rock or root and loose a toenail or two because of this.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    My only complaint with the Altras is the almost nonexistent toe bumper. I eventually stump my toe on a rock or root and loose a toenail or two because of this.
    Agree I'm guilty of this which I assume is why both toe rubbers are peeling.....I wish they would wrap like the sportiva Wildcats...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-13-2012
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,034
    Images
    9

    Default

    I tried gluing some 60 mil roofing EPDM on as bumpers with seam grip and it worked for about 100 miles and then came off.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,878

    Default

    I'm on my second pr of Altra Olympus 2.0's. Third pr of Olympus. First pr of 2.0's got more than 700 moderate to rough rocky rooty miles use UL backpacking going 14-26 MPD. Terrain was not wide maintained soft underfoot trails. They weren't retired due to any sandwiching out, or significant wearing of the sole reducing traction, or ANY toe bumper issues but because abrasion holes in the side mesh that were repaired twice with ShooGoo. I'd still be using them for backpacking and hiking if this hadn't happened. I still use them for mowing the yard, walking around town, etc. The toe bumper is very similar in appearances to the Lone Peaks. The Olympus 2.0's are currently being offered at several sites for $80-90. I bought two extra pr in storage that are new.

    Yes, they are more cushy with less potential underfoot bruising on pointy rock terrain than LP's but that should be known if you buy LP's.

    As an aside: 1) maybe it's just me or limited perceptions but Shoo Goo doesn't adhere as well as McNetts Seam Grip on these shoes(and several others!). I find that was the case when adhering my own lower on the heel position version of a Gator Trap(did this before the shoes were worn and pre cleaned the heel with alcohol) and attempting to fix the abrasion holes in the forefoot mesh on Olympus models. Also as an aside newer versions of Altra models like the LP 3.5's have a mesh overlay in the very areas my abrasion holes occurred so I must not be the first to have this issue as a hiker and make it know to Altra. NICE that a company listens to it's supporters and advances it's designs! 2) This also may just be my preferences but a softish but cushy shoe on pointy rocks, which I experience on many traverses and Rocky Mt ridgelines, without adequate rock guard plate protection, precisely as Wyoming was discussing, is not the answer to address bruised feet. The "feel" I want can be off too. I suppose this makes a shoe heavier though which makes the Altra runner market, and quite a few hikers, frown upon.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm on my second pr of Altra Olympus 2.0's. Third pr of Olympus. First pr of 2.0's got more than 700 moderate to rough rocky rooty miles use UL backpacking going 14-26 MPD. Terrain was not wide maintained soft underfoot trails. They weren't retired due to any sandwiching out, or significant wearing of the sole reducing traction, or ANY toe bumper issues but because abrasion holes in the side mesh that were repaired twice with ShooGoo. I'd still be using them for backpacking and hiking if this hadn't happened. I still use them for mowing the yard, walking around town, etc. The toe bumper is very similar in appearances to the Lone Peaks. The Olympus 2.0's are currently being offered at several sites for $80-90. I bought two extra pr in storage that are new.

    Yes, they are more cushy with less potential underfoot bruising on pointy rock terrain than LP's but that should be known if you buy LP's.

    As an aside: 1) maybe it's just me or limited perceptions but Shoo Goo doesn't adhere as well as McNetts Seam Grip on these shoes(and several others!). I find that was the case when adhering my own lower on the heel position version of a Gator Trap(did this before the shoes were worn and pre cleaned the heel with alcohol) and attempting to fix the abrasion holes in the forefoot mesh on Olympus models. Also as an aside newer versions of Altra models like the LP 3.5's have a mesh overlay in the very areas my abrasion holes occurred so I must not be the first to have this issue as a hiker and make it know to Altra. NICE that a company listens to it's supporters and advances it's designs! 2) This also may just be my preferences but a softish but cushy shoe on pointy rocks, which I experience on many traverses and Rocky Mt ridgelines, without adequate rock guard plate protection, precisely as Wyoming was discussing, is not the answer to address bruised feet. The "feel" I want can be off too. I suppose this makes a shoe heavier though which makes the Altra runner market, and quite a few hikers, frown upon.
    I'll try Seam grip when the new ones fail..I got the stink eye and comment from cashier at REI that it's normal for toe separation at 50 miles...."We sell shoe goo to fix that".....*** should I pay $120 for shoes made for light weight hiking expecting to have to buy shoe goo......he said rei has to eat the loss not Altra....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,878

    Default

    No, don't take that from an REI EMPLOYEE, um Associate.

    Stinkeye - we use that in HI all the time.

    Tell Story(another HI term for talking), working for Home Depot many moons ago I found out every Makita tool returned HD ate as Makita didn't have a full reimbursement agreement with HD. That played into the rise of offering more other power tool brands like DeWalt.

    Bring your boy along into the REI next time. Make sure he calls you Dad a lot. While waiting for the return have a conversation that is overheard with him about you buying new backpacks, sleeping bags, and tent at REI for the family. Don't show up like you just crawled out of a box that you live in from behind the store in the woods. Then see how the return goes. Sometimes, life is about getting what we want not complaining about what we want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •