WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear: microspikes,ice axe, snowshoes?

Planning on starting at Walterton lake up in glacier NP July 1st and going south, hopefully all the way to mexico along the cdt. I was wondering what technical gear is necessary for the beginning? Do I need microspikes or an ice axe to go through glacier that time of year safely? If so realistically how many miles would I need them for before I could ship them home? What about snowshoes, or are they overkill?

The only folks who will know for sure are the folks at the Backcountry Permit office the week before you start.
    I personally would also worry about the unabridged stream crossings. The Park will post a schedule of when the bridges will be put in place and taken out.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

We used to do a lot of mountaineering trips to Glacier when we were students at Missoiula. We liked to go there in mid-late June as soon as the road opened up. We liked having the deep snow, which allowed kicking steps up the peaks and glissading back down. I have also hiked the CDT from Waterton to Rogers Pass FWIW. Mostly you are down in the forest rather than in the alpine zone.

My opinion would be to take light snowshoes for times when the snow will not bear your weight. In the morning it will, but maybe not in the afternoon if weather is warm and bright. An ice axe is not necessary on the trail in Glacier IMO although a pole or two is useful with snowshoes. If you are careful I don't think you would need spikes either, assuming you are wearing substantial boots. You will probably see a lot of deep snow, but it is melting rapidly during that week. Problems with standing water are more likely than problems with ice, IMO. Good luck.

Thank you both for the feedback! @Rockdoc I intend to wear trail runners. Boots tend to give me blisters. I'll probably take your advice and buy some snowshoes. I've heard horror stories about people postholing for weeks on the CDT. Which sounds miserable! @venchka I think thats likely the safest bet and intend to try to contact them as the date gets closer.

When I started the CDT June 27, 2015 I was snow-free for the most part. The route I chose (with help from a knowledgeable ranger) missed any big postholing sections but still took me over some snowy parts. HOWEVER the route took me through Ptarmagin Tunnel - assuring me that Ptarmagin Tunnel was open - and after a helluva climb up I got to the big iron doors, closed and locked from the inside. Thankfully a marmot or something had burrowed underneath the door, and by moving a few rocks I was able to squeeze under and through.

If you can call or anything and ask closer to your leave date, I would guess you might need microspikes and/or a snow axe... but I highly doubt snowshoes.

++ New Posts ++