WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: training

Default training

Lived here 22 years and just discovered a trail close to home. It's about a 3 mile trail with 240 feet of climbing. And it's a loop, so can easily be repeated as many times as you like. So I decided it would be a great training trail, packed up my gear as if I was heading to the southern terminus and went hiking. Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
    This trail beat me up. But I went back and did it again the next day.
    This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.
    So, I'm wondering, if I'm trying to build up to carrying more weight over longer distances, is it better to start with less weight, and work towards a goal of, say, 20 miles, before increasing weight, or stay with 3 miles and keep building up the weight first until comfortable with the weight and then build up the miles?

Start with 20 in the pack.
    I used the 16 oz water bottles.

Work your way up.

When I say 20 - 20 lbs total.

Default local trails training

I am in a similar situation. Most of my training has been on flat rail-trails, so far up to 6 miles each time with about 45 flat miles carrying a 17 lb. pack. Once I put in 2.5 L H2O and could tell the difference.

Last evening I carried the light pack on a series of close-by trails that could be considered rolling with mud, roots, etc. It went well. Now that things are drying up I expect to spend more time on local dirt single track trails. I intend to gradually increase the distance and weight up to the expected 22-23 lb. for a week on the AT in late July.

Also I am 74, so ease into it seems to be working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    I am in a similar situation. Most of my training has been on flat rail-trails, so far up to 6 miles each time with about 45 flat miles carrying a 17 lb. pack. Once I put in 2.5 L H2O and could tell the difference.
    What do you mean, "6 miles with 45 flat miles"?
    By the way, 74? You're an OLD dude! I'm just 70, fresh from the cradle!

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    Start with 20 in the pack.
    I used the 16 oz water bottles.

Work your way up.
    Ok, so I start with 20 lbs and 3 miles, till I'm comfortable with that. What's next -
    a) 30 pounds and 3 miles?
    b) 20 pounds and 5 miles?
    Is it better to build up the weight first or the distance first. Or does it matter?

I meant 40+ total miles carrying the pack on flat trails, sometimes with 20+ lb. So far just up to about 9 miles in a day but walking/hiking or biking many days a week. Even walked in the rain a couple times.

Seems to me gradually increasing the weight and miles on various woodland trails makes the most sense. Last week carried the 20-21 lb. 6 mi. with "no aches, no pains, no blisters. Yea, I might even be 75 at the end of our trek on the AT (1 week, SNP).

If you can't do the miles with no weight you'll never do it with weight.

I do miles without a pack. Or just a daypack with water. Weight just wears the knees out faster.

If you are 70, ease into it. Give it a day or two of rest in-between training days. Start off lightweight and go slowly. Same advice I'd give a 20 something who hasn't hiked much.

What amt of wt can you carry over what distance currently? How far have you ever gone under any scenario in a day? AND, what amt of wt are you seeking to increase to from the 30-40 lbs?

I would be taking my age and this, "Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
    This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.", into consideration.

Reducing the wt you haul increases the daily mileage ability as well as the day after day after day mile per day avg ability in itself. THIS has to be considered IF you desire to have more endurance, daily and trip hiking ability, comfort, less fatigue, and risk of bodily injury.

I don't like the idea of adding significantly more wt to what you already max haul before you do the 20/day if that's the daily mileage goal. Depends on your current status and wt you ultimately wish to haul.

Ease into that pack weight. Start with water and basic day hiker safety gear only. Every spring I pretty much need to start over, because I don't hike in the winter. My local loop trail has a 900' hill. The first hike of the year, I pretty much go up halfway til I'm out of breath and turn right around. Then I see how I feel the next day. Used to be that a day of recovery and I'd be great, now it's more like two days of recovery when training. I'll eventually work myself up to hiking every other day, and by the end of summer, I'm up to hiking every single day for ten miles, with a full pack.

Start small, pay attention to your body.

Images

I always cringe when I read someone recommending loading up a pack for training, that is a good way to get hurt. If you expect your pack to be 20 lbs. train with 20 pounds. Make it more difficult if you must by doing more elevation gain, less breaks, longer days, faster (within reason) etc. But don't load up the weight. And if your pack is 30-40 lbs normally maybe re-evaluate what your carrying. there are easy and inexpensive ways of dropping the weight below 30 or even 20 pounds.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I am assuming you are only doing one 3 mile loop right now? If so, then my advice would be to ditch the pack and carry 500ml of water. When you can do the 3 miles in under 1.5 hours, then you can work on two loops. When you can do two loops in under 3 hours, then you can add a pack with 10 pounds of weight. When you can do the two loops in under 3 hours again, up the weight to 20 pounds and see if you can do one loop in under 1.5 hours. When you finally can, do the two loops until you get to under 3 hours again. You don't need a total pack weight of more than 25 pounds for just about any hiking, except in winter.

Listen to your body. Stop all exercise with your legs until the inflammation in your knee reduces/resolves. If you aren't taking NSAID's you might want to talk to your Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What amt of wt can you carry over what distance currently? How far have you ever gone under any scenario in a day? AND, what amt of wt are you seeking to increase to from the 30-40 lbs?

I would be taking my age and this, "Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
    This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.", into consideration.

Reducing the wt you haul increases the daily mileage ability as well as the day after day after day mile per day avg ability in itself. THIS has to be considered IF you desire to have more endurance, daily and trip hiking ability, comfort, less fatigue, and risk of bodily injury.

I don't like the idea of adding significantly more wt to what you already max haul before you do the 20/day if that's the daily mileage goal. Depends on your current status and wt you ultimately wish to haul.
    I think I'm starting to agree. Build up the miles, then the weight. I went back out there today, light weight, and it was a very pleasant hike.

But, you asked about what I can do, and my goals....
    Well, there's a fairly flat 11 mile trail close to home that has always been my "default" hike when I didn't want to drive 50 or more miles. When I hike this, I usually just have water, maybe a couple candy bars - around 7 pounds, maybe.
    The "biggest" thing I've done was in November, 15, 90 miles on the PCT, over 18 days with a pack that started out around 54 pounds. About 6 mpd. Had to quit 6 or 7 miles from my goal, due to my knee.
    I did a road trip in March, cross country, (CA to GA and back), and did a lot of day hiking along the way, with a fairly light day pack. I hiked maybe every 2 or 3 days, around 4 hours on the trail. When I got back, tho, I "couch surfed" for 3 or 4 weeks.
    So, I'd like to get ready for the PCT again in November - desert area, down at the border. Because of the water situation, I need to be able to carry some serious weight. Although I saw,a youtube that this guy, Redbeard from Zpacks, said he never carried more than 2l even on the PCT.
    But that guy moves a LOT faster than me, so he can get from one water source to the next faster than me! I like to plan on carrying at least 6. And I know there's more water than normal, even in S. Cal right now. But, it could be gone by November...

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    I meant 40+ total miles carrying the pack on flat trails, sometimes with 20+ lb. So far just up to about 9 miles in a day but walking/hiking or biking many days a week. Even walked in the rain a couple times.

Seems to me gradually increasing the weight and miles on various woodland trails makes the most sense. Last week carried the 20-21 lb. 6 mi. with "no aches, no pains, no blisters. Yea, I might even be 75 at the end of our trek on the AT (1 week, SNP).
    Are you saying that, at 74, your goal is to be able to carry 20+ pounds for 40 miles? I'd give you an award for that, if you get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I always cringe when I read someone recommending loading up a pack for training, that is a good way to get hurt. If you expect your pack to be 20 lbs. train with 20 pounds. Make it more difficult if you must by doing more elevation gain, less breaks, longer days, faster (within reason) etc. But don't load up the weight. And if your pack is 30-40 lbs normally maybe re-evaluate what your carrying. there are easy and inexpensive ways of dropping the weight below 30 or even 20 pounds.
    Yes, after my hike today, with a light pack and the way I feel -- plus what you and everyone else is advising, I think I agree. Best to build up the miles, then gradually add weight.
    I'm thinking of doing 9 mpd, maybe, so figuring I need to carry a lot more water (desert sections of PCT). But - maybe I'll look at it from the standpoint of "less water = more miles" - and x shoot for 15 to 20 mpd. In which case I won't need to carry as much water. ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I am assuming you are only doing one 3 mile loop right now? If so, then my advice would be to ditch the pack and carry 500ml of water. When you can do the 3 miles in under 1.5 hours, then you can work on two loops. When you can do two loops in under 3 hours, then you can add a pack with 10 pounds of weight. When you can do the two loops in under 3 hours again, up the weight to 20 pounds and see if you can do one loop in under 1.5 hours. When you finally can, do the two loops until you get to under 3 hours again. You don't need a total pack weight of more than 25 pounds for just about any hiking, except in winter.

Listen to your body. Stop all exercise with your legs until the inflammation in your knee reduces/resolves. If you aren't taking NSAID's you might want to talk to your Doc.
    Thanks, Scarebear, for spelling that out. Sounds like a real good plan

I've never seen any training plans for hiking like you do for other activities. But as an older person I feel the need to work up to my planned pack weight with food/water. I walk everyday, but that does not prepare your muscles and tendons for the extra weight of a pack. Younger people may not need the training, but I certainly do. Personally I follow the insight for long distance running. You can increase speed or distance, but don't increase both at the same time. so each week only consider adding one or the other not both. Also you don't have to make every hike the same. Some can be with pack and others without. Some short, some longer. some hilly some flat.

I think other posters have given great advice for starting out.

Once you are no longer the "Nube" to training, I would suggest you build in the elevation changes. Either do steps, climb hills, or get on a stair climber at a gym. NOTE: My first year, I trained by walking... walking... walking... carrying a pack... I walked up to 25 miles a day; however, those "flat lander walks" did not pra\pare me for the mountains of the AT. The next year, I didn't walk so many miles; however, I did spend several hours a week climbing dune stairs. That mad a difference!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++