WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Because I find the way I use them (as described in an earlier post) perfectly efficient and more comfortable.
    That and because it inexplicably seems to annoy snarky people from New Jersey, which I'm finding to be an added benefit.
    One problem with the "CORRECT" way is that it can restrict blood circulation in the hand and it can depress nerves in the 'heel' (ulnar metacarpal area) and at the base of the thumb. At least it does so for me after a few days.

Also, in very cold winter conditions when wearing over mittens it is a royal flying purple pain in the ass to get hands into and out of the straps, and I find that my hands are warmer (see above re blood circulation) when using the 'hanging from the wrist' technique.

The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One problem with the "CORRECT" way is that it can restrict blood circulation in the hand and it can depress nerves in the 'heel' (ulnar metacarpal area) and at the base of the thumb. At least it does so for me after a few days.

Also, in very cold winter conditions when wearing over mittens it is a royal flying purple pain in the ass to get hands into and out of the straps, and I find that my hands are warmer (see above re blood circulation) when using the 'hanging from the wrist' technique.

The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.
    Just so you know, when I got to the "royal flying purple pain in the ass" comment, my internal monologue changed from it's normal state to your voice clearly reading it outloud.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Because I find the way I use them (as described in an earlier post) perfectly efficient and more comfortable.
    Plus I recently discovered that it inexplicably seems to annoy snarky people from New Jersey, which I'm finding to be an added benefit.
    for the record, you called your approach less efficient in an earlier post. is it less efficient or perfectly efficient?

i went to college in CT, so i guess i will forever be amazed by the way you folks do certain things.

The way Leki shows how to use the straps is how I use it. Nothing new there, I saw that 50 years ago with cross country skiing.
    If there was a problem with that I am pretty sure that guys that ski for 50 km at speed would use them like that.
    strap.jpg
    you should be able to see that if you trip over you open your hand and it will slide off the strap.
    As mentioned the first video has that the wrong way.
    Why WRONG ?
    Because it is dangerous that way.
    BTW, most things can be right or wrong depending on exactly how they are done...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The way Leki shows how to use the straps is how I use it. Nothing new there, I saw that 50 years ago with cross country skiing.
    If there was a problem with that I am pretty sure that guys that ski for 50 km at speed would use them like that.
    strap.jpg
    you should be able to see that if you trip over you open your hand and it will slide off the strap.
    As mentioned the first video has that the wrong way.
    Why WRONG ?
    Because it is dangerous that way.
    BTW, most things can be right or wrong depending on exactly how they are done...
    i dunno... some guy from CT swears his way is much safer...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    for the record, you called your approach less efficient in an earlier post. is it less efficient or perfectly efficient?

i went to college in CT, so i guess i will forever be amazed by the way you folks do certain things.
    You may want to go back and re-read my post, you missed the part where I explicitly stated it is only less efficient if done incorrectly.

Then again you went to college in CT, so I'll forgive the lack of reading comprehension.

[Edit to add: I hope that at this point neither of us are taking this seriously, because this is a really stupid thing to spend this much energy debating ]
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-13-2017 at 20:54.

Images

it is only less efficient if done incorrectly.
    which is what you're doing...
    Then again you went to college in CT, so I'll forgive the lack of reading comprehension.

this is a really stupid thing to spend this much energy debating ]
    you mean trekking poll straps or hiking in general?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I don't use wrist straps for 3 season...

I'm in good company.

This is good. but I bet when your pole strikes a rock, water won't come out.
    Blackheart

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

you mean trekking poll straps or hiking in general?
    Both I suppose.

Life is good if these are our worries.

Sorry I asked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Sorry I asked!

Come on now, there are at least four or five productive posts in this mess.

In my defense I've been stuck inside a small house watching a 2 year old since the rain started this morning.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea and amen. Even when I'm flatlanding it, I normally throw poles. Once you get into a rhythm, you don't even think about it anymore. I found some really light carbon Foxelli's (Similar to Leki but less than half the price). Mine have saved me from some falls, too.

Well I'd pic my poles over almost anything as they save my big arse on every trip...besides supporting my shelter....I know how to use them properly.....I think???

Poles can be used to power you forward with your upper body strength and takes stress off of your legs. If you haven't tried it do so and your shoulders and pecs will be sore the next day showing how much work they are doing to propel you forward. Get the rhythm going and you can really move fast. The straps take the weight and puts it on your arms without having to grip the poles with your hands. You have to have good straps that are wide around the wrist where they contact the wrist - like the ones in the video above - and tapered to fit into the palm as your hand goes up the loop from the bottom. Look at how she put her hand through the bottom of the strap. On my Lumi poles the left and right were not marked but I figured it out and marked them myself.
    Last edited by macdiver; 05-13-2017 at 22:35.

Come on now, there are at least four or five productive posts in this mess.

In my defense I've been stuck inside a small house watching a 2 year old since the rain started this morning.
    I feel your pain...I've been stuck at the skate park watching my 11 yr old whine like his mom!

When out hiking all day I will use the straps for a change of "pace". I do also use them when scrambling to give me a free hand or two. When going along a flat, easy section I often just hold both poles in one hand.

I use the straps as a matter of routine, with several thousands of miles, countless rock climbs, a few "stuck" poles, and one or two falls later, I have not found straps to be any more or less dangerous than not using poles. I had a chafing issue with straps years ago but solved that using paddle gloves that protect my hands with the added benefit of providing some protection when scrambling over rock.

Claiming straps are a safety hazard is a bit of hyperbole, but if one is not using them properly I can see where the opinion may be generated from. I find straps handy for a number of reasons, from more easily picking up poles that I drop to allowing a very subtle grip on the poles when making serious mileage to boost my pace a bit.

Bottom line is, if you like to use them do, if you don't, don't.

Images

[QUOTE=saltysack;2149874]Sorry I asked!
    Yes, really. Next question you should ask is - to double tie shoe laces or not? I wonder how many posts/pages that discussion would garner.
    Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

[QUOTE=Furlough;2149907]
    Sorry I asked!
    Yes, really. Next question you should ask is - to double tie shoe laces or not? I wonder how many posts/pages that discussion would garner.
    Furlough
    Do you remember the great "how do I dispose of my coffee grounds?" debacle a few years ago?

Clearly, someone needs to design a "Grip Your Own Grip" bumper sticker.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++