WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Thumb holes in long-sleeve T-shirts?

I'm planning on a late winter start for next year's NoBo AT through-hike, and I'll need warmer base layer clothes at the start. I'm trying out various options, and I noticed there are some wicking T-shirts with extra-long sleeves that cover half your hands, with holes for the thumbs. Does this little bit of extra coverage really make a difference? I can maybe see the value in keeping drafts from getting to your wrists, but I don't know if this is a useful feature or just a gimmick.

Your thoughts?

Yes, it can be a useful feature. I have a couple of shirts like that I use in the late fall or early winter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I get them because most sleeves arent long enough for my arms. They are pretty useful for keeping my baselayers sleeves from riding up when I put my next layer on. I suppose if one has short stubby arms, they will add some warmth to your hands and wrists, or you can buy wristies which will do the same thing.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i'm a round the world cyclist and a 4 time thru-hiker (pct/at). i am addicted to thumb holes. if the shirt i have doesn't have them, i get out the scissors. and then it has them.

I bought my merino wool 1/4 zip top from LL Bean. Bean knows cold weather clothes. Thumbholes standard. My arms stay covered in my sleep.
    Nuff said.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have a couple of shirts with this option and for above freezing it does seem to help some. However, below 32º, I have fallen in love with "Wristies". These are awesome and I often end up wearing them 24/7 on the trail.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

I like them, and for weather when it is cold only early in the morning, or until I get moving, I bought a cheap one at a thrift store, cut off the sleeves and added elastic at the top of the sleeves. Now I have cheap and very usable removable sleeves for a fraction of the price for professionally made ones. When I am ready to take them off, I tie them around my waist pack.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

In a layering system where the LS is not the outer most layer with the outer most layer also a LS jacket or if I'm stacking multiple LS shirts yes I too like the monkey finger(thumb holes) in the sleeves to 1) keep from riding up my arms also 2) give a bit more warmth to hands allowing for a lighter wt glove/mitten

Love 'em....and I previously came from the 'they look silly camp'...until I actually tried them. Help keep your hands warm...and offer extra sun protection for your hands if you're in an exposed area. If I could just find a summer weight long sleeve with thumb holes it would be the perfect summer hiking shirt.

Love 'em as others have mentioned. There seems to be two different types---the Patagonia fabric loop which creates a thumbhole; and the Icebreaker style incorporated into the actual sleeve. I use both.

The Icebreakers don't last long on extended winter trips because the merino frays and pulls apart. Here's a field repair using a sewn-on fabric bandaid.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

They're really just meant for gram-weenies: the holes weigh absolutely nothing.

I went ahead and bought two: one for sleeping, and another (with a quarter zip) for hiking.

DuofoldThermamatrix.jpg DuofoldQuarterZip.jpg

I figured the color of my sleeping base layer shirt isn't going to matter most of the time, but if I get in an emergency and need high visibility, it couldn't hurt to have safety orange available.

just cut them in any shirt. all good.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    just cut them in any shirt. all good.
    I guess you have shorter arms than I do, because that advice won't work for me. These shirts with thumbholes have sleeves 3-4 inches longer than my other shirts, and those sleeves are stretched between my shoulder and thumbs when I use the thumbholes. There's no way the sleeve from just "any shirt" is long enough to reach past my thumb.

i'm 6'2" with long long arms. stretch it out. all good. no worries. make it work!

Journal Entries

Not a deciding factor for me
    I either wear my fleece gloves when it cold enough, or dont

Early morning with cold poles, wet hands after stowing tarp covered with condensate, i often wear thin gloves gor 40 min till body warms, even with temps only in 40-50s

++ New Posts ++