WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOC to Fontana Dam water sources and trail suggestions

Hi everyone,

Fairly soon I will be picking up another section of the A.T. I will be leaving from NOC and heading north to Fontana Dam. How are the water sources right now. What are the highs and lows right now? I am in a much warmer climate. Are there any views that I need to make sure we enjoy or bear activity that we need to make note of and prepare ahead of time for.

Thanks.

According to the AT Weather app, the temps at Brown Fork Shelter (about mid way) for the next 7 days looks like a low of 50 and a high of 80 for the min/max with 70's day / 60's night being the average. That's probably a good forecast to use for a while.

Cheoah Bald is the highlight of this section and since you walk over the top of it, it's hard to miss. A couple of vistas on your way up and out of the NOC. There is nothing you have to go off trail to see, if you don't see something, it's due to weather. NOC to Cable gap is pretty strenuous, Cable gap to Fontana, moderate. Trail gossip will tell you if bears have been seen. Hang your food properly in any case. Water sources should not be a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just hiked that stretch 3 weeks ago. Water sources are available and flowing well (even more rain since we went through). We camped at Locust Grove tent area and Cable Gap shelter in that section.

Cheoh Bald is awesome and you really only get one more view at the top of Jacobs Ladder.

Just hiked that stretch 3 weeks ago. Water sources are available and flowing well (even more rain since we went through). We camped at Locust Grove tent area and Cable Gap shelter in that section.

Cheoh Bald is awesome and you really only get one more view at the top of Jacobs Ladder.

Journal Entries

Cheoah is the nice view
    When selfish arseholes arent camping on top for the weekend, taking it over
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-16-2017 at 03:08.

Thanks Slo-go'en, MuddyWaters and capehiker. I am really looking forward to this stretch. I have heard it is a tough section but the challenge will make it that much sweeter when I complete it. I will be heading to the Smoky Mountain section in July. I can't wait for that either. How have the bears been in this area? A lot of bear activity or minimal?

Default NOC to Fontana Dam water sources and trail suggestions

I can't say for sure, but when I went through the Fontana Hilton this year there were a lot of people getting sick. Many blamed it on the water at the shelter, so be sure to filter/purify in some way.

i typically hike 10 miles with a liter no problem.. and i had no problem in this section making it water source to water source

It's a really nice section - water should be fine. I hiked it in mid-March - perfect timing for that section - lucked out between sets of storms on either side of it.

Images

The sunset from Cheoah Bald - actually from a rock outcropping on the opposite side of the trail - is amazing. If you plan is to do this section in two days, this makes for a short day one and a really long day two, but the view is worth it.

Thanks everyone. It was a great trip.

++ New Posts ++