WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    OK, so I initially laughed at that...

but wouldn't that be equivalent to barfing up a portion of your meal on the shoes of the waiter that has been serving you?
    (i.e. you tip based on a percentage of what you are being charged... not a percentage of what was provided to you).

Well---this thread is about hitchhiking which is typically a free activity so when I saw the "20%" part I got a chuckle---as in, "what would tipping 20% of free be?" "Ah.....miles"

"The people that pick me up often act like they're from a mental ward or a chain gang or drug addicts and are some very weird . . . weirdos."

That's saying something more about how and from whom you seek rides.

I don't want rides from people drunk or intoxicated behind the wheel, or I feel threatened by. This is why I seek to and get more than 1/2 of all my rides through face to face conversation at key locations rather than always sticking a thumb out standing alongside a road attempting to get busy often in a rush motorists to stop. This allows for an easier breaking the ice time not only for the potential ride but for the ride seeker to size up rides. For example, on the Cherohala Skyway I seek rides at overlooks, CGs, at THs
    from other hikers leaving, that convenience store/small gas station near Robbinsville on the same side of the rode I'm seeking to get a ride in the direction of(towards Tellico Plaines), that convenience store/gas station just entering Tellico Plaines when heading pack towards Robbinsville, etc.

You have to admit hitch hiking is a bit of a weirdo thing to do in today's culture as we seek rides so were weirdos also. That's why many people are fearful to stop. When we seek rides in person striking up a genuine conversation we, or at least most of us, can present ourselves as travelers, just hikers lokking to get into town for a resupp and back to our hikes. This makes us familiar to potential rides. And we can get some fimailarity with potential rides

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

In college days I hitched everywhere, coast to coast several times. Nobody expects you to pay anything ! Try to be a good conversationalist if that is received well at night drivers want to be kept awake and alert by conversation. The rare goofy ones or drinkers just say thanks this is ware I am going and get out.

"Those born-again Christians who want to get me saved. That's why they stopped."

Hey, I let them have their say if that gets me to where I need to go. And, if it is too over the top a little politeness saying I'll consider it is usually all it takes to quiet them down. Or, there are ways to steer conversations onto non religious or philosophical topics. Besides, we can learn something from everyone. I certainly have from atheists, agnostics, Naturalists, Wiccans, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Muslims, Christians, Jewish folks, and a whole lot more. I like hearing about different beliefs, cultures, philosophies, and points of view different than my own when presented respectfully which I'd say most of these people are. I think that's a big reason why I travel and LD hike so much. I become more tolerant. Might want to try that?

"Cruising homosexuals who want to hook up."

Been there. But that's OK. I'm in a vehicle going to where I need. Keep the ultimate goal in sight! The LGBT crowd usually gets a hint that you're straight, if you are, and once that's clear and you stand your ground
    (they might test you) LGBT folks have been some of the most funniest people I've met. Besides, now you know how women feel when heterosexual males hit on them so obviously which incidentally has made me more aware of being more respectful of women.

Journal Entries

You tip based on a percentage of what you are being charged... not a percentage of what was provided to you.

I actually do both. Depending on the restaurant, I start at 10%-15% and if service/advice is good I increase the amount up to 20%. Outstanding service gets 25%. Waiters/waitresses remember you and give great service. I sometimes asked if a waiter/waitress is working and asked to be seated at one of their tables. Sorry I floated of topic, I will do the dishes.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "Cruising homosexuals who want to hook up."
    With Grindr and all the other hook up apps available, I think cruising for hitch hikers is far less common. Another great American pastime lost to technology.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    For example, on the Cherohala Skyway I seek rides at overlooks, CGs, at THs from other hikers leaving, that convenience store/small gas station near Robbinsville on the same side of the rode I'm seeking to get a ride in the direction of(towards Tellico Plaines), that convenience store/gas station just entering Tellico Plaines when heading pack towards Robbinsville, etc.

You have to admit hitch hiking is a bit of a weirdo thing to do in today's culture as we seek rides so were weirdos also. That's why many people are fearful to stop. When we seek rides in person striking up a genuine conversation we, or at least most of us, can present ourselves as travelers, just hikers lokking to get into town for a resupp and back to our hikes. This makes us familiar to potential rides. And we can get some fimailarity with potential rides
    Since I lived in Tellico Plains for 15 years I probably hitchhiked the Cherohala "Screamway" at least a dozen times in all weather including blizzards. There is really no comparison with hitching the Skyway to hitching on Interstate ramps or hitching major highways in and around urban areas. Hitching the Skyway means you're either going to Robbinsville or Tellico---so rides are a no-brainer. I consider hitchhiking the Skyway to be a vacation from real hitchhiking.

Speaking of hitching roads like the Skyway, I once got kicked off the Blue Ridge Parkway back in 1988 by a forest Ranger in a . . . . green Jeep. Bummer and who knew? He made me walk to the nearest intersecting State Road where I quickly thumbed a ride up into Independence, Virginia. And eventually thumbed into Waynesboro to start an AT hike in the Shenandoahs.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

taxi, uber, lyft, shuttle - whatever the hell....yes, pay. and tip. and give pieces of paper with dead men (and soon, women) on them.

if you thumb, be free. FREE! driver's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    taxi, uber, lyft, shuttle - whatever the hell....yes, pay. and tip. and give pieces of paper with dead men (and soon, women) on them.

if you thumb, be free. FREE! driver's choice.
    Exactly. In my hitching years I maybe had $40 bucks to my name. (But I had some dang fine gear on my back). I would've been broke the first week had I paid for each hitch. Never even considered it, in fact.

Journal Entries

Never have considered it, nor have I ever received it when picking up. I honestly would not know what to do if I was offered a tip, can't I just be a nice person without expecting payment for it?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Never have considered it, nor have I ever received it when picking up. I honestly would not know what to do if I was offered a tip, can't I just be a nice person without expecting payment for it?
    hell yeah man! i hate how money dominates this world. be kind. perhaps receive kindness. perhaps not. it doesn't matter. the world spins. we spin. we live. we die. we don't need cheap plastic crap from wal-mart. we need experiences and memories. done.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Sure. Can't I just be nice and offer something in addition to a thank you? I'm not sure anyone has ever taken my offer since they are doing it to be kind. Thankfully no one who has picked me up has been drunk, made advances or pulled a gun on me.

I have never conserved tipping to be expected while hitchhiking. That said, I've been picked up by some nice people who obviously didn't have much money. In those cases I usually insist that they accept a little "gas money". It's always been accepted and appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    I have never conserved tipping to be expected while hitchhiking. That said, I've been picked up by some nice people who obviously didn't have much money. In those cases I usually insist that they accept a little "gas money". It's always been accepted and appreciated.
    Bansko and I are on the same page on this. We are on vaca, and in countryside that is not always affluent.

The OP stated that his Road walk was 3 miles. Why not just walk and not have to worry about hitching or tipping. You're going hiking (walking) (volksmarching) but a walk along a road dosn't count? As far as tippping goes offer a couple bucks unless it's a long ride or it's out of the guys way.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    The OP stated that his Road walk was 3 miles. Why not just walk and not have to worry about hitching or tipping. You're going hiking (walking) (volksmarching) but a walk along a road dosn't count? As far as tippping goes offer a couple bucks unless it's a long ride or it's out of the guys way.
    You bring up an obscure facet of hitchhiking: Do I stand in one spot and thumb or do I hike on the right shoulder and thumb? Both work. Third option? If it's a short distance like 3 miles I'll hike on the left shoulder facing traffic and not bother hitching. Sometimes I'll even get a ride by not hitching just from friendly guys who stop and offer.

Standing in one spot is sometimes required like on Interstate ramps because you can't really hike on the actual Interstate. And sometimes you're hitching a paved rural road and find a perfect place for someone to pull over with plenty of room so you stay put there and not hike. But if a couple hours go by at one spot with no ride I'll saddle up and start walking.

One time I was hitching from Lake Junaluska (NC) north on Hiway 209 up to Hot Springs and dangit never did get a ride the first day so I hiked almost the entire 36 mile distance and set up the tent midway at a scenic spot called Beck's overlook. The next day I hiked thru places like Luck NC and Trust NC and then a guy in a bread truck took me into Hot Springs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Roadwalking really sucks. Really that is 90% of the answer. The other 10% is it doesn't count unless it is part of the white blazed path, in which case walking it would be the way to go unless you are Bill Bryson.

I never hitched before the AT. From my limited experience.

- One church lady, who gave us a ride into town, and let us know that she was doing it for Jesus. I wasn't sure if she was expecting a tip, as in one good turn deserves another, or what. Left the car kind of awkwardly.
    - A young guy in a pick up, let three of us hop in the back. Offered him a $5, think he was a bit insulted.
    - A really creepy guy who was laughing nervously the whole drive. Suspect he was on meth or something. I didn't want him to think I had money and I dashed away quickly.
    - A young couple on a camping vacation in the Smokies. They offered me fresh fruit, and were really friendly. I gave them $40 to buy themselves dinner in town.

There's no right answer. I just thank everyone, and have a bit of cash handy before I ever stuck out my thumb. Then I play it by ear.

Journal Entries

When I get a ride, whether thumbing or just offered a ride, I usually have $5-$10 in a shirt pocket. When getting dropped off I offer the the $5 for very short trips and the $10 for longer trips. I also consider going out of the way trips as well. If they refuse it, I drop it on the seat and tell them to donate it to their favorite charity. I won't force the issue, but when you say charity, they usually say OK and drive off.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++