WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

That makes sense. Thank you.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    ......well I have had the experience on 3 separate occasions that I was hitching off the trail and got a ride from 3 different folks that were obviously destitute, I can see that their tank was near E. I'm no rich Connecticut Yankee by no means, but I was better off that they were, so I gave them gas money
    im sorry but I can't help but think that they might be thinkin' the same thing...this poor bastards walkin' with Everything he owns on his back, he dosen't even have a car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    im sorry but I can't help but think that they might be thinkin' the same thing...this poor bastards walkin' with Everything he owns on his back, he dosen't even have a car.
    I would hope to have a slice to give that person!

I hadn't ever thought about this...

Just curious, but how many of you have been stubbornly walking into or out of some town after giving up hitching, your back facing oncoming traffic, and STILL been picked up by some good samaritan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You bring up an obscure facet of hitchhiking: Do I stand in one spot and thumb or do I hike on the right shoulder and thumb? Both work. Third option? If it's a short distance like 3 miles I'll hike on the left shoulder facing traffic and not bother hitching. Sometimes I'll even get a ride by not hitching just from friendly guys who stop and offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Just curious, but how many of you have been stubbornly walking into or out of some town after giving up hitching, your back facing oncoming traffic, and STILL been picked up by some good samaritan?
    You must've not read my Post #37 as quoted above.

If someone invited you over for dinner would you offer them money when the meal was over? Probably not...that would be kind of awkward and insulting. :-)

If I am at a hotel/hostel and they give me a ride, I pay them at the end of the ride or I even offer them X amount of dollars before the ride. If I just catch a ride from the trail, I figure if someone is stopping, they aren't doing it for money. I offer them at the end of the ride, but have never had someone take the money. If you have ever done any kind of trail magic, you know you get just as much, if not more out of giving than receiving.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You must've not read my Post #37 as quoted above.
    My bad. I should have read through all posts before posting.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    If someone invited you over for dinner would you offer them money when the meal was over? Probably not...that would be kind of awkward and insulting. :-)
    What about if you told him first that you were hungry and you needed to eat?

Hitchhikers solicit rides..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-22-2017 at 10:44.

Journal Entries

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    What about if you told him first that you were hungry and you needed to eat?

Hitchhikers solicit rides..
    Not always on the AT. I only remember sticking out my thumb one time in 850 miles. Most of the time all I had to do was arrive at the trailhead and before I could make it across the road someone had stopped and offered me a ride. If it was clear that they were in business (hostel, professional shuttle, or other service provider) I asked them how much they wanted before I got in the car.

You r conviently omitting the solicitation of goods and services that most often lead up to being offered a ride.

Images

"Thank you so much for such a delicious meal. I wish I could have helped contribute. Would you accept this as a thanks for the delicious food and the great company, and use it to help offset the costs for the next person you feed, even if you don't think it necessary?"

If I have means, I absolutely offer to contribute. I have had people refuse, but ever since I added the "pay it forward" part, people now accept. Gratitude and generosity are important to show and encourage.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Images

Also, if you are invited to a dinner party, you are supposed to bring wine, dessert, or whatever else the host(ess) requests. They won't demand. You are supposed to ask, "What can I bring?" after accepting the dinner party invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Also, if you are invited to a dinner party, you are supposed to bring wine, dessert, or whatever else the host(ess) requests. They won't demand. You are supposed to ask, "What can I bring?" after accepting the dinner party invitation.

You show consideration for others InfamousJ. I can't imagine being a freeloader taking everyone else's resources and gratitude for granted with out showing appreciation and consideration. Amazed out how self absorbed, self centered, cranky, and inconsiderate of others we alpha humans can be.

Hitchhiking is not a dinner party. For anyone who has hitched, the exchange of money is never part of the equation, unless you want to complicate things. As many hitchhikers have mentioned in this thread, the exchange of money never occurred to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You show consideration for others InfamousJ. I can't imagine being a freeloader taking everyone else's resources and gratitude for granted with out showing appreciation and consideration. Amazed out how self absorbed, self centered, cranky, and inconsiderate of others we alpha humans can be.
    To echo Lone Wolf---It's just HITCHING. Gratitude for a ride comes in many unspoken forms and gratitude has nothing to do with money---either giving or receiving. When I get out of a car after a decent ride I project a good vibe towards that person---it's inevitable. Such harmony and decency is what makes hitchhiking work---not the exchange of money.

Images

You are right that gratitude comes in different forms. But even if hitchhiking, it is still important to *express* out loud, explicitly, not just *project* internally and quietly.

You are right that gratitude comes in different forms. But even if hitchhiking, it is still important to *express* out loud, explicitly, not just *project* internally and quietly.

"inaction is the ruination of man" ~not sure who said it, but I always liked it.

folks pick up hitchers cuz they wanna help. don't offend them by tryin' to pay

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++