WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Tipping after hitchhiking a short distance?

Do you offer $5? $10? Just say thank you? What's the standard protocol?
    I'm starting my a 3 day/2 night hike in the Whites next week with a 3 mile road walk but if I stick out my thumb (while off the road way so it's legal) and get a ride I want to know what's customary. Any other advice appreciated.

Would like to see this as a poll but I'm not sure how to set that up.
    Thanks in advance!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

After I got over my initial hesitation with hitching, I ALWAYS made sure I had a $5 bill in my pocket if I was going to hitch. I offered it at the end of the ride, regardless. Usually, my drop off point was somewhere along the drivers way.

If they were gracious enough to refuse (usually), I always dropped it into the seat or front console on my way out, preferable out of sight of the driver.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

I do the same thing as Old Hiker. I hate walking on asphalt and am always thankful for a ride.
    Blackheart

In all my years of hitchhiking from 1980 to today I have never offered any amount of money at the end of a ride. In my opinion it sets up an awkward vibe as you fumble with your gear or your pockets trying to retrieve some cash while the driver just wants you to get out quickly and safely so he can be on his way. The driver does not want to be worried about where your hands are going and if you're pulling out something other than money, like a knife or pistol.

Whenever I get into a car or truck I sit quietly and do not fidget or get squirmy.

But one time I was hitching thru Winston Salem NC with my thumb out on some godawful thoroughfare when a woman pulled over and handed me $5 out of the window and then sped off. The cash was nice but I would've preferred a ride.

I pick up hitch hikers when I can, always without expectations for compensation. When people offer cash I always say that I'm just paying forward the good will I've received over the years. A lot of people pick up hitch hikers because it feels good to help someone out, and really prefer not to make it about money. That said, I have "lost" a ten dollar bill in the cup holder before, and bought a pack of smokes for a driver who waited for me to do a quick resuply and drove me back to the trail. Which reminds me of the time I picked up a couple hikers to take to Monson - As soon as we got in my car they each lit up a ciggarette. ***?! All I'm saying is ask first, or maybe just wait until you get where you are going. Hitch with good manners.

i've never tipped when hitching

Images

I always have a $5 bill in my pocket when hitching, and always offer it as "gas money" at the end. No one has ever taken it (and I have not ever taken money when I've been the driver), but I feel like it's polite to offer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Typically they just want to hear your story and that is payment enough.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I always offer. They have always said no. Touching on a subject brought up earlier; I always try to have "correct" change on me when I might have to pay for a service. Makes life easier on everybody.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Typically they just want to hear your story and that is payment enough.

thats what ive noticed when i have hitched in the Great Smoky NP........

tell them a good story.....get them to smile.....and everything is cool.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd say tip them the standard 20%.

Images

I'd say tip them the standard 20%.

so you give them a quarter mile?

When I pick folks up I generally refuse a tip if its on my way. If they have good story and decide I am going to give them ride way out of my way I may not refuse it.

Folks on occasion end up on the wrong side of Mt Washington in the whites and that is minimum of 50 miles out of my way one way to get them to the right side. They had better have a good story (and usually do).

Depending on the distance I will offer a beverage or meal in the next town. Many have accepted a soda, ice tea, coffee, or adult beverage but none have accepted a meal. I usually ask them to drop me off at places where I can get these things and feel it is only fair to offer.

I agree entirely with Tipi Walter, in everything he said, don't be fumbling through your pockets when someone, especially a woman, picks you up. The whole thing sets up a bad precedent.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    so you give them a quarter mile?
    OK, so I initially laughed at that...

but wouldn't that be equivalent to barfing up a portion of your meal on the shoes of the waiter that has been serving you?
    (i.e. you tip based on a percentage of what you are being charged... not a percentage of what was provided to you).

I usually offer $5-10 and have on occasion offered more for someone willing to take me out of their way as Old Hiker and Buckeye Bill. As Slo go en said usually they want to hear my story but sometimes people are lonely and want an ear to offer something of their own story. People have needs and desires beyond just our own. That has to be appreciated as well on a hitch...that you're willing to listen. I've many a time received rides by initially demonstrating a willingness to pay for gas or buy lunch, dinner etc. This builds trust for getting rides for others too...pay it forward. This has also led folks to further extend their generosity by offering a night in a vacant room(at least 10X), camping in their yard(many times), being invited for a home cooked sit down family dinner, work on a farm, etc. I've actually had several landscape design jobs I went back for after the hike as a result of breaking the ice through hitches. I believe when I show I'm willing to give and not only only get get get folks will extend themselves even more. Having a give and take not just about my(your) travels being so self centered has(can) truly enrich the lengthier hiking experiences.

Here's one more thing about hitching. Don't think of it as hitch-hiking. Think of it as meeting people. And, if it is a ride you seek getting it can be accomplished by chatting someone up in an honest manner rather than simply standing alongside a road with a thumb out which is illegal and enforced in some states while ASKING verbally for a ride through genuine conversation is not. In that conversation voluntarily offer gas money, buying lunch, etc.

If I'm planning on hitching, I'll try to clean up and put my poles away before sticking my thumb out. That gives me plenty of time to find $5 for a short hitch and put it in the pocket with my cell phone so I'm not fumbling around for it when I get out of the car because I know I'm checking I don't leave that behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    In all my years of hitchhiking from 1980 to today I have never offered any amount of money at the end of a ride. In my opinion it sets up an awkward vibe as you fumble with your gear or your pockets trying to retrieve some cash while the driver just wants you to get out quickly and safely so he can be on his way. The driver does not want to be worried about where your hands are going and if you're pulling out something other than money, like a knife or pistol.

Whenever I get into a car or truck I sit quietly and do not fidget or get squirmy...

Yes, but that awkward vibe can be eliminated with some fore thought. First build repertoire. Don't pull out money until AFTER you size up the driver and possibly others in the car and they have sized you up. If you act like a mental ward or chain gang escapee, weirdo, drug addict, or homeless wayward drifter you can expect some awkwardness which is surprising you even made it into someone else's vehicle in the first place. AND, much of a driver's fears about reaching into your pack as they're driving can be eliminated IF you place you pack in the back seat with no one else there, or in the back of a PU, or in the trunk WAITING to pull out money only after your ride or if once at the gas station in a public place. It doesn't hurt to also say my wallet is in my pack, I need to get it. It really eases a drivers concerns when your pack is not stored in your lap or between your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't pull out money until AFTER you size up the driver

If you act like a mental ward or chain gang escapee, weirdo, drug addict, or homeless wayward drifter you can expect some awkwardness which is surprising you even made it into someone else's vehicle in the first place.
    To the first quote---Well, I never pull out money when I'm hitching so the problem is solved right off the bat.

To the second---You've got it opposite---The people that pick me up often act like they're from a mental ward or a chain gang or drug addicts and are some very weird . . . weirdos.

As mentioned, when I'm sitting in a stranger's car my behavior is very subdued, it has to be if I want the ride and want to get to Point B.

In my experience there are three categories of Rides---
    ** Those that just want to give you a ride no problem and nothing required.
    ** Those born-again Christians who want to get me saved. That's why they stopped.
    ** Cruising homosexuals who want to hook up. Remind me to tell the story of hitching north on I-77 back in 1992.

I've had a handgun "pulled" on me twice in my years of hitching. These fall into the first category---willing to give me a ride but just wanting to let me know they're carrying if things get weird. When the guns come out there's always that momentary twinge of What Now?

There's a fourth category of course, but something I've never experienced: Getting kidnapped or dismembered or shot. Just lucky I guess. I did have a "road dog" friend who traveled the country with his pack and we met up once and he had a cast on his broken wrist. Told me about a guy in a Jeep who took him up a dirt road and wouldn't let him out so he jumped and took off into the woods. Better a broken wrist than a possibly detached head.

Oh and one time an off-duty cop picked me up and he was friendly but I could see he had his pistol under a folded up newspaper next to him on the front seat. Just in case.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++