WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I wasted no time reading the article.
    Then why bother commenting? If you insist on being uninformed you input has little value.

Thank you sincerely for letting us know where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Then why bother commenting? ...
    Sorry, I should have counted to 10 before posting. It is my own responsibility to find posts which add value.

My apologies, have a nice day

Perhaps I should also count to 10. More than once.
    My post was based entirely on the OP Title. Since Y'all took me to task I attended to at least scan the article. While I realize I was reading an article from a newspaper, there really aren't any facts presented in the part of the article that I read.
    Just last week my doctor and I were talking about a medical "study" based on 3 subjects. Perhaps the doctor in the article has more evidence than that.
    I would also question how much time do folks on Martha's Vineyard spend outdoors in the presence of ticks?
    I shouldn't read "news" on the internet.
    I am still entitled to an opinion.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Here's the lyme disease map---So get your gear and come down to the Southern Appalachians.

Just last week my doctor and I were talking about a medical "study" based on 3 subjects. Perhaps the doctor in the article has more evidence than that.
    Wayne
    Really? What study was that? Where was it published?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Perhaps I should also count to 10. More than once.
    My post was based entirely on the OP Title. Since Y'all took me to task I attended to at least scan the article. While I realize I was reading an article from a newspaper, there really aren't any facts presented in the part of the article that I read.
    I would also question how much time do folks on Martha's Vineyard spend outdoors in the presence of ticks?
    I shouldn't read "news" on the internet.
    I am still entitled to an opinion.
    Wayne

So is the story of the discussion with your doctor an anecdote about an anecdotal study?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

http://shelterislandreporter.timesre...-from-experts/

Another article that has some disputing her treatment options.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

You pays your money and takes your choose.
    Everybody pointing fingers at everyone else.
    "You can't prove a thing. I was never here."
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Venchka and ATRambler. I hope you don't get Lyme Disease. If you are in an area where it is common, you would do well to know the symptoms discussed in the article, because, if it is left untreated, it can advance with symptoms that mimic any number of other diagnoses from from stroke to multiple sclerosis to Alzheimers. I remember talking to a man at the fruit store along the AT in NY who described now his teenage son was severely affected, "nearly dies", and had to have a catheter inserted to deliver antibiotics directly to his heart. Many physicians are not aware of tick borne diseases which is why Dr. Zubcevik was giving the grand rounds at the hospital as reported by the newspaper. Indeed a physicians assistant sent one AT hiker back to the trail with an "it's all in your head" line of bull. That night she developed the typical rash as well as a high fever and had to be evacuated by canoe and ambulance. That is why you, Venchka, should know the symptoms since you may need to insist on getting proper treatment. As you can see by the map that Tipi posted, it's very common from Virginia north, but nevertheless there are cases reported everywhere in the US and even Europe.

I've had Lyme confirmed by the not-very-reliable test and by symptoms, but no rash. Fortunately, I recognized the symptoms early and camped out on my doctor's doorstep to ask to seem him when I was home for a weekend from Delaware Water Gap. Since, I have had a long standing relationship my doctor prescribed the antibiotics "just in case" and left a message few days later that the test was positive and urging me to take the full course of antibiotcis. I attribute early treatment to not having experienced further symptoms.

Venchka, the snide "consider the source" was out of line as Harvard Medical School has an excellent reputation, the information reported on was provided during a "grand round" training session for doctors, and the newspaper seems to be accurately reporting what Lyme disease experts have known for years. If you had bothered to Google Dr. Zubcevik you might have been impressed by the source.

ATRambler, if you want citations, I'd suggest you search the medical literature. Citations aren't normally found in newspaper articles, nor are sources cited in medical lectures. Nonetheless, the information provided is consistent with what I've learned about Lyme Disease and something anyone living in New England and the Mid-Atlantic states needs to know.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Venchka and ATRambler. I hope you don't get Lyme Disease. If you are in an area where it is common, you would do well to know the symptoms discussed in the article, because, if it is left untreated, it can advance with symptoms that mimic any number of other diagnoses from from stroke to multiple sclerosis to Alzheimers. I remember talking to a man at the fruit store along the AT in NY who described now his teenage son was severely affected, "nearly dies", and had to have a catheter inserted to deliver antibiotics directly to his heart. Many physicians are not aware of tick borne diseases which is why Dr. Zubcevik was giving the grand rounds at the hospital as reported by the newspaper. Indeed a physicians assistant sent one AT hiker back to the trail with an "it's all in your head" line of bull. That night she developed the typical rash as well as a high fever and had to be evacuated by canoe and ambulance. That is why you, Venchka, should know the symptoms since you may need to insist on getting proper treatment. As you can see by the map that Tipi posted, it's very common from Virginia north, but nevertheless there are cases reported everywhere in the US and even Europe.

I've had Lyme confirmed by the not-very-reliable test and by symptoms, but no rash. Fortunately, I recognized the symptoms early and camped out on my doctor's doorstep to ask to seem him when I was home for a weekend from Delaware Water Gap. Since, I have had a long standing relationship my doctor prescribed the antibiotics "just in case" and left a message few days later that the test was positive and urging me to take the full course of antibiotcis. I attribute early treatment to not having experienced further symptoms.

Venchka, the snide "consider the source" was out of line as Harvard Medical School has an excellent reputation, the information reported on was provided during a "grand round" training session for doctors, and the newspaper seems to be accurately reporting what Lyme disease experts have known for years. If you had bothered to Google Dr. Zubcevik you might have been impressed by the source.

ATRambler, if you want citations, I'd suggest you search the medical literature. Citations aren't normally found in newspaper articles, nor are sources cited in medical lectures. Nonetheless, the information provided is consistent with what I've learned about Lyme Disease and something anyone living in New England and the Mid-Atlantic states needs to know.
    I did google Dr. Zubcevik and found an article that mentions a couple of creditable sources that dispute some of her ideas. Lyme disease is a serious concern but I think it best to put out as accurate information as possible...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks for posting. Last year, I found a tick attached to me after I returned home... it had been on for about 14-24 hours... I never had any problems...

Here in Michigan, we are seeing a major "uptick" (no pun intended) in the ticks. I know of several people who have found ticks attached to themselves or their dogs - ticks that would have attached in geographic areas that were not known to have ticks present in the past.

Being that testing is unreliable, doctors need to be educated and prepared to diagnose Lyme and other tick borne diseases based upon symptoms alone. Some doctors are able to do this, but many doctors who don't see very many Lyme cases rely on old training and metrics that say "no bullseye, no Lyme" or think that because a tick wasn't attached for a certain period of time that their patient couldn't possibly have Lyme and dismiss it out of hand. This does a great disservice to their patients. Those who have had chronic symptoms over a long period of time will tell you that you have a short window to get adequate treatment...when that is lacking some patients never fully recover.

Lyme disease is the worst. Hard to diagnose and they chronic fatigue (which some doctors just dismiss) and joint pain.

I was diagnosed with Lyme in October of 2017. To call it nasty is an understatement. I was unable to walk for 8 days during the worse of it. Still dealing with issues centered on my nervous system.

Prevention is key for me and my family now that we have seen first hand how Lyme can wreck you. I would encourage you to be vigil in your prevention as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++