WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do I have allergies?

For 1300 miles of the AT I have more mornings then not woken up and can not start my day without a good dry heaving that always ends with mostly a yellow bile on the ground. I was tested as a child and was positive for something like 13 trees as allergic. However I have seen anxiety before college jobs and school so i cant determine which it is.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 05-18-2017 at 07:10.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    For 1300 miles of the AT I have more mornings then not woken up and can not start my day without a good dry heaving that always ends with mostly a yellow bile on the ground. I was tested as a child and was positive for something like 13 trees as allergenic. However i have seen anxiety before college jobs and school so i cant determine which it is.
    There is hella-tree-pollen out there & it has been wrecking me this year. Otc allergy meds seem to help.

If you figure out a cure please share... my hiking companions all make fun of my dry heaving starts in the morning that produce that same yellowish bile ...can't get a cup of coffee ready quick enough!!!

Expensive but get the store brand of Allegra at your next resupply, assuming it's allergies. Best stuff out there. I always have horrible allergies and this stuff is a lifesaver. Hope you feel better soon.

Would allergies really make you puke? I thought they just made congestion.

My allergies can give me a horrendous migraine-like headache that can actually make me nauseous. I take a zyrtec every day. It helps.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Um, I don't think dry heaving is an allergy symptom. See a doctor.

I usually wake up, and pretty quickly after 5-10 minutes my mouth starts salivating and I either puke up about a 1/2 cup of yellow bile and swallowed saliva OR a am bent in half for 5-10 minutes dry heaving until some sort of bile comes out. Then my stomach is in a knot, no appetite for most of the day hence my low calorie intake, low energy.

Sounds like you may be dehydrated

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I usually wake up, and pretty quickly after 5-10 minutes my mouth starts salivating and I either puke up about a 1/2 cup of yellow bile and swallowed saliva OR a am bent in half for 5-10 minutes dry heaving until some sort of bile comes out. Then my stomach is in a knot, no appetite for most of the day hence my low calorie intake, low energy.
    Yeah, I would see a doctor ASAP. Everyone in my family has allergies, and I've never heard of anything like this.

I suffered so bad in Georgia from tree pollen at the end of April I had to go home. My head was all clogged up and when I laid down my lungs would start to fill up with mucus, which I'd then spend all night coughing up. Benadryl helped me sleep, but made me really groggy. Between loosing a lot of sleep in the beginning and the antihistamines, I was really struggling to go up hills.

Interestingly, after I got back to NH, where the trees here are in a similar state of blooming and pollen levels are quite high, I have no trouble. I guess I'm immune to the type of trees we have here.

Anyway, your symptoms don't sound like allergies, something else is going on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Never happens at home. Starting to think that is it more of anxiety then anything else.

I have bad allergies. Claritin D helps, but my eyes still itch, I still sneeze, and post-nasal drip is constant. It's bad enough that although I am most comfortable sleeping on my back, the feeling of mucus running down the back of my throat and into my lungs is so unpleasant that I have to sleep on my side, and I roll back and forth all night long to take the pressure off my sinuses.

Journal Entries

Never happens at home. Starting to think that is it more of anxiety then anything else.
    Why anxiety on trail?

Ive known football players that threw up before games, but never a hiker.

Journal Entries

I am not trying to scare you, but you need to get checked for Lyme Disease and Powasson Virus asap. Here is an excellent article posted yesterday.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Why anxiety on trail?

Ive known football players that threw up before games, but never a hiker.
    I overthink and stress about just about everything in life. "Will I make my miles today" "Will I make it up the big climbs today" "Will I be late for my pickup" "Will I finish the trip". I have been this way with everything in life.

Journal Entries

From the wisdom of Lone Wolf: "It's only walking."
    Blackheart

If you were my patient I would not test you for Lyme disease, I would treat you for it. Summer flu? Outdoorsy person? Rule out Lyme. Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 3 weeks unless allergic to this antibiotic, pair with good probiotic to minimize gi symptoms.

Get ye to a walk in clinic or md.

Best of luck and good health to you!

Journal Entries

I overthink and stress about just about everything in life. "Will I make my miles today" "Will I make it up the big climbs today" "Will I be late for my pickup" "Will I finish the trip". I have been this way with everything in life.
    Ever heard of xanax or valium?

After 1300 miles any anxiety would probably be lessening to some extent. Im not a doctor, but I recommend you go see one, that's not normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++