WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default headnet hundred mile wilderness mid-July?

Should I bring a headnet for the hundred mile wilderness mid-July? I don't usually pack one.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

It weighs nearly nothing. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Considering the misery of being eaten alive by bugs causes it seems like good insurance.

Agreed better to have it than not. I did the 100 MW in late August and I didn't use mine. I did use bug spray however but it didn't get bad enough for the head net. I heard there are black fly's on the trail. I believe the season is now till June? I'm not 100% sure though.

As Francis says, it weighs . . . . nearly . . . . nothing. It's always part of my standard load from March thru October.

With permethrin treated clothing I find myself using it less and less, but I always have my headnet tucked away just in case. Carrying the extra gram or three is a life saver when the flies are thick and you risk inhaling them on a steep climb
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

let me answer this question: ​YESSSSSS!!!!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Got eaten alive on Nahmahkanta stream, one afternoon and evening in mid July. Headnet made it far more bearable

I would bring one. I went through in early August and there were a few places where I was glad to have one. A cheap Walmart headset sufficed. In some cases I left my face clear and wore the net like a food service worker to keep the insects away from my hair and ears. It's light and cheap, so I'd recommend bringing one.

I'll be redundant. Such little weight for so much comfort when it's needed.

Won't anyone think of the starving, biting bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    Should I bring a headnet for the hundred mile wilderness mid-July? I don't usually pack one.
    yes. i left katahdin the 1st of july one year. the mosquitos were horrendous. id'a paid $100 for a head net

I've appreciated another use for my headnet: I wear it in the mornings to keep the spider webs from my face.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I've got a big head and wear a wide brimmed hat. I can't seem to find one I can wear over my hat that comes past my chin. I even had one custom made and it's still too short. Wear does one find a decent head net?

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    I've got a big head and wear a wide brimmed hat. I can't seem to find one I can wear over my hat that comes past my chin. I even had one custom made and it's still too short. Wear does one find a decent head net?
    How about this one?

51N3M5pPAHL.jpg

I've had several, but the best fitting one I've found is Peter's head nets.

http://www.simblissity.net/ultraligh...to-headnet.htm

I think I bought mine at LLBean. has an elastic that fits loosely around my neck. Works perfectly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I've had several, but the best fitting one I've found is Peter's head nets. http://www.simblissity.net/ultraligh...to-headnet.htm
    Peter Vacco doesn't seem to be selling them anymore, but they are the best. They are the best. Ben's Invisinet seems to be a copy of Peter's and is pretty good.
    https://www.rei.com/product/102055/b...nsect-head-net I have one but will use my Peter's headnet till it wears out

Peter's does look great, too bad they're no longer available. The imitation one at rei looks way too small. My hat is more like Indiana Jones' hat than a baseball hat. The extra brim coupled with my beard makes all head nets seem way too small. Sea 2 summits look bigger from the picture, but they always end up smaller in person. I wish I could sew.

Images

Peter's does look great, too bad they're no longer available. The imitation one at rei looks way too small. My hat is more like Indiana Jones' hat than a baseball hat. The extra brim coupled with my beard makes all head nets seem way too small. Sea 2 summits look bigger from the picture, but they always end up smaller in person. I wish I could sew.
    Peter makes the nets from Tulle, basically bridal veil material. He says it's difficult to sew, but if you put a hole in one you can patch in a piece of black tulle. The holes in the mesh are bigger than in noseeum but still keep out mosquitoes and black flies. You can see better through the tulle and it breathes better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++