WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have one made by Peter. Bought it in 2010 for the 100 MW. Never needed it. No mosquitoes or black flies.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I have one made by Peter. Bought it in 2010 for the 100 MW. Never needed it. No mosquitoes or black flies.
    Visit the Maine backwoods and you will meet a few.

Mine goes with me all the time. Just to handy to have

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Visit the Maine backwoods and you will meet a few.
    I thought that the 100 Mile Wilderness is considered part of the Maine backwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I thought that the 100 Mile Wilderness is considered part of the Maine backwoods.
    It is and is ground zero for black flies and mosquitos. Right about now their pretty thick and given the current weather pattern, they will likely continue to be so for at least a few more weeks.

But by mid July, the mosquitos in the evening will be more annoying then the black flies during the day. You could leave the headnet home and be okay, but it's cheap insurance. If you just need to use it once, it was well worth having along. And if you don't, then that one time will when you wished you had it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

No, no headnet. If the mosquitoes bite you enough you'll weigh less (less blood to carry) and you can cover 5-7 more miles per day

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It is and is ground zero for black flies and mosquitos. Right about now their pretty thick and given the current weather pattern, they will likely continue to be so for at least a few more weeks.

But by mid July, the mosquitos in the evening will be more annoying then the black flies during the day. You could leave the headnet home and be okay, but it's cheap insurance. If you just need to use it once, it was well worth having along. And if you don't, then that one time will when you wished you had it.
    I have taken it to Maine hiking on three different occasions. Once in May, in June, and in August. I have never seen a black fly or been bitten by a mosquito.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm doing the 100 MW in early June and I'm definitely bringing mine.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Just did a 2.5 day hike/ trail maintenance on the Grafton Notch Loop trail. Wore my headnet 2 of the days almost constantly. Was the envy of all the hikers that didn't bring theirs. Met Slider ('98) on Baldpates and he was kind enough to lend his to some poor soul who didnt have one. Instant trail Karma.

I spent my first 27 years in Jackman, Maine and still have family and a camp there. I live in southern Maine, now. I am very familiar with black flies.

If you're not willing to soak yourself in Ben's 100, bring the headnet. If we have a wet summer, the flies will still be around in the middle of July when it gets hot. In addition, the brass heads will drive you crazy as well.

Yes, the black flies are normally gone by the 4th of July, but if they aren't, you will go insane from the swarming. Just breathing can be an ordeal when they are thick.

With no end in sight to the cool and rainy weather here in northern New England, when summer temps do arrive the flies will be brutal! They really like to swarm on hot, muggy days. At least the black flies just leave a welt, the other flies take a chuck of flesh out of you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Peter Vacco has been walking across the arctic instead of sewing head nets:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...nada-1.4084740

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++