WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it normal for shoulder straps to constantly loosen while hiking?

The loosening starts out slowly at the beginning of my hike or workout but gradually gets worse and worse. I am in a panic because my SOBO thru starts in about 2 weeks and I have a backpack that has shoulder straps that won't stay tight. And, it gets worse and worse the more I sweat.

Is this normal?

Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?

Thanks,

Mike

Leonidas

Short answer is no.

I had a cheap pack that did this long ago and we ended up tying a knot on each strap to keep it from slipping.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Default Is it normal for shoulder straps to constantly loosen while hiking?

A paper clip on each strap below the cinch might keep them from slipping until you get replacements.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

It also helps to have a brand, model and photos. Maybe the straps aren't threaded correctly.
    Bottom line: Quality brands don't do things like you describe.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Tough to say but it sounds like it could also be a torso length issue. If the backpack's torso length is too short, it will put too much weight on the shoulder straps which would certainly make any problems with the straps worse. You want almost all the weight on your hips and your shoulder straps should mostly be holding the load to your back to the tightness you are comfortable with (combination of shoulder strap adjustment and load lifters). You should be able to push a finger between the strap an your shoulder. If not, it's probably too tight.

"Is this normal?"
    I don't find it normal. Although, some adjustment may be needed as the load or apparel layers change.
    "Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?"

YES! What I've found increases the tendency for shoulder straps to slip are grimy grungy tri-glides and when the bite(small teeth or ridges) on the tri-glides wear. The two solutions I've found are: 1) keeping a clean pack including making sure the tri-glides, cinch buckles, etc are scrubbed clean(underneath too where they lay against webbing!) of not only grime but body oils, sunscreens, sweat containing body salts, beach/fine sand, insect repellents, etc. I'm amazed how much total wt these things can amount to on an UL backpack. 2) checking the fine usually plastic teeth/ ridges/gripping areas on the webbing. Use a tiny hobby file or the lightest wt Dremel tool head to roughen up these ridges or file sharply the fine teeth or hone the flat filed area of the shoulder strap hardware.

Right now, I don't want to give the manufacturer because I am trying to work out a fair solution for the problem. The company has suggested I tie a knot in the straps or use safety pins to hold the straps and stop them from loosening. I was shocked by this suggestion. I purchased this backpack brand new, paid good money for it, and it has only been used a couple times a week starting in March so I don't expect to have to use safety pins from Maine to Georgia in order to keep my backpack tight on my back.

Mike

By mentioning the name you can maybe find someone with the same pack that can give you feedback on whether they have experienced the same thing. It looks the like the manufacturer has given there advice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Outfitters will have miscellaneous strap cinches that are of better quality than the ones currently on your pack. If it is convenient for you, I'd try that first. Pennies on the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmtrnr View Post
    The loosening starts out slowly at the beginning of my hike or workout but gradually gets worse and worse. I am in a panic because my SOBO thru starts in about 2 weeks and I have a backpack that has shoulder straps that won't stay tight. And, it gets worse and worse the more I sweat.

Is this normal?

Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?

Thanks,

Mike

Right now, I don't want to give the manufacturer because I am trying to work out a fair solution for the problem. The company has suggested I tie a knot in the straps or use safety pins to hold the straps and stop them from loosening. I was shocked by this suggestion. I purchased this backpack brand new, paid good money for it, and it has only been used a couple times a week starting in March so I don't expect to have to use safety pins from Maine to Georgia in order to keep my backpack tight on my back.

Mike
    You bought a lemon from a less than top tier pack company. Refund time.
    As for torso length and excess weight on straps: BOGUS.
    I have seen my grandchildren load book bags to bursting and the shoulder straps don't budge. No hip belts.
    My experience: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack built by Hippies in Victor, ID circa 1975 and Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane built in Bozeman, MT circa 1994. Shoulder strap ladder lock slides hold perfectly.
    Buy quality once.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    As for torso length and excess weight on straps: BOGUS.
    All I said was that if there was a problem with the straps, having the incorrect torso height would make it worse. Agreed that the straps shouldn't move and the instructions to safety pin or tie a knot is a cop-out from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    All I said was that if there was a problem with the straps, having the incorrect torso height would make it worse. Agreed that the straps shouldn't move and the instructions to safety pin or tie a knot is a cop-out from the manufacturer.
    Sorry. I got carried away.
    But seriously, without a hip belt, shoulder straps shouldn't move. I've owned many belt less packs and over loaded them without strap slippage.
    Wayne

Are you talking about daily or over the course of several days? On a daily basis, I'll check load lifters (shoulders) and sometimes adjust those. Should straps sometimes loosen a little, particularly with elevation changes--leaning forward or backward. A change in packing will sometimes do it, like finally getting your cook kit situated, or scarfing down a lot of food. What Dogwood said about keeping the plastic parts clean. Webbing will stretch some its not immutable. I've noticed that webbing that has gotten real wet and then dries out completely will tighten up. It can get stiff too, won't give right away on first adjusting on a new trip. Newer packs that I own I have noticed that the buckles tend to have sharper angles (angled down) than the past which helps them grip better.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

I had a REI brand pack for my thru, it had a known issue, the lap belt buckle would loosen while hiking, many hikers reported this. I tried several things, nothing too successful till I got some other cinch buckles from a outfitter, cost was under $4 for both, made all the difference for my thru. It was harder to adjust with them but that adjustment one does not have to make often, and it didn't slip. I also made another modification along the way for comfort.

I'd say on a thru you will make it work, that's what you do. But are you starting out with a good fitting, durable, comfortable pack? Or do you see signs of premi wearing out?

"Maybe the straps aren't threaded correctly." As someone already stated. Most of those cinch buckles are threaded so that the more weight is on them, the tighter they grip the strap. I'd play with that first.

Mike
    Admirable to try and protect a manufacturer you are trying to be fair with, but the manufacturer does not appear to want to address the problem and is not being fair with you.

Unless its been a long time since you purchased it, take the pack back to the retailer, tell them you are sorry it didn't work out and you'd like your money back. There are a lot of very good packs out there to choose from built by manufacturers who would give you more than "use a safety pin" to solve a problem.
    If the pack is too old to be returned, take it to an outfitter and see if you can find cinch buckles or other bits that will stop the slippage.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Are we talking internal or external pack here? I've owned a couple of Kelty externals and the straps every hour or so needed a 1/2" - 1" tightening. Never had such a thing on any internal....
    Be Prepared

-

something that has not been addressed here: new straps are stiff and slippery (smooth)

my experience is this issue diminishes and goes away with time as the straps become soft and fuzzy

the plastic adjustors may also get less smooth with use, but it is hard to see inside them, so ??

if you like the pack otherwise why hassle with returning it - I find that I play with the tightness out of boredom whether needed or not

One of my old Lowe packs has the very same problem: The shoulder straps slip through the tri-glide, but at such a low rate that I rarely notice it.
    This pack is really high quality, but over 35 years of use may cause things to fail eventually. The material of the strap obviousely became more smooth over time and usage, as well as the tri-glide's edges became worn and rounded.
    I finally locked the straps in the best legth setting with an additional tri-glide (or something similar).

After many emails with the manufacturer, it looks like we have worked out a suitable solution to the problem. I will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++